Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools.

Pubs
35%
Schools
35%
neither
27%
dont know
4%

Total votes: 55

thirdcrank

Re: Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO, I don't understand the pubs vs schools balancing act. Whatever happens with pubs, shops, lidos, you name it, it's difficult to see any sort of normality in state schools anytime soon. Those employed in education are understandably concerned about their own health and their duty of care towards children. A lot of parents have been scared about sending their children to school and may not be reassured. One more thing that's not helped with spin.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Presumably it has been discovered that teachers are spending all their time in the pub.
John
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Children have one chance to learn.We have plenty of overweight people,partly attributable to alcohol and high calorie pub grub.The only people likely to favour the pub option are
1.disaffected scholars
2.pub owners,and staff
3.shareholders in Diagio etc.
4.brexit fan,Dim Martin
5.teachers etc
6.people who enjoy company of others when drinking,and micro-wave meals
7.naive libertarians
8.people needing access to a toilet
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That list represents a lot of people. That's why we are only getting leaks about this, to test the reaction. Anything might happen.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

About one in five,perhaps.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What proportion of UK households have children of school age? That's possibly significant in determining whether schools being open are going to be more important than pubs and other social locations being open.

From our pov if schools don't fully open September it will scupper all our plans. It's part of the reason we're changing our son's school. We're moving over the border to a county with a better attitude and approach to the COVID situation. The school he'll go to has had a very positive approach which results in an almost fully open school. Come September they'll open with the full register. His current school hasn't even opened year 6 up. The head is opposed to opening up and all communications to parents were project fear with a clear intention of putting parents off sending their kids back. The new school hasn't stripped the classrooms to bare walls and isolated desks but the old school has painted a picture of Victorian classrooms at their worst!!

I hope pubs shut and schools open TBH. Schools first pubs later, always!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tangled Metal wrote: ... From our pov if schools don't fully open September it will scupper all our plans. ...

In broad terms, what sort of plans?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote: ... From our pov if schools don't fully open September it will scupper all our plans. ...

In broad terms, what sort of plans?

We're going to move house to an area that's still commutable by public transport and bicycle. It has a primary school that's better run than our son's current one. It's also got less traffic through it and into the countryside a bit more. Hopefully it'll be better for our health because it'll be detached so no tobacco smoke coming in from the terraced house next door from the old man mixing there. It's nearer my parents for help with childcare too.

Going back to full time and off furlough into full time which means more money. Without schools childcare is an issue which means both of us having to go part time to cover it. Resulting pay cut means the mortgage we're needing for our hopefully soon move will be more affordable so we're not squeezed too much financially. My partner is gig economy at a university which is kind of between full employment and gig by gig. I'm planning on changing careers a bit too get a better, more challenging job.

Basically a lot going on, perhaps not all wise in the current circumstances but sometimes you have to take a chance to get on in life. Our risks are manageable but schools not opening make things a bit more difficult than we'd like. Our only influence on the school situation is to move less than 10 miles from here into the next county which has more schools open than Lancashire that we're in. That's down to a more pragmatic and IMHO less political attitude to schools opening.

You did ask and I can't do brief!!! :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Well, this sounds OK - let's go to the pub in the holidays and keep the schools open during term-time - perfect!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

little did I know when I started this light hearted thread that it was prescient :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Both kill brain cells.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Both kill brain cells.

Evidently
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I do not think pubs harm the brain,though alcohol consumptiion may do if excessive.Similarly cycling can be posed as hazardous if you fall off and bang your head.Most activities are thus potentially hazardous.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

mumbojumbo wrote:I do not think pubs harm the brain,though alcohol consumptiion may do if excessive.Similarly cycling can be posed as hazardous if you fall off and bang your head.Most activities are thus potentially hazardous.

Right but you can't damage brain cells by cycling, whereas drinking really any amount will damage brain cells.

You should have gone for the school angle, it was my weaker point.

Kids coming out of schools dafter than in previous years isn't a criticism of the kids intelligence but rather a failing education system. Still, that can be fixed, whereas drinking can't, it's always going to kill brain cells, which as far as I know, can't ever grow back.