Cycling Across France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Aleks

Cycling Across France

Post by Aleks »

Hi,

Is anyone considering cycling the length of France some time within the next say 12 mths ?

I would love to cycle St Malo to Nice/Montpellier etc etc but do not have any family or friends that are insane enough to join me.

Think that spring 2021 might be a good time to think about doing it, but I am very flexible on the dates.

Let me know if you have this on your radar at all, as it would be great to do it with a few people.

Regards

Aleks
aleks.stojanovic@mazars.co.uk
ANTONISH

Re: Cycling Across France

Post by ANTONISH »

If you can't find anyone to ride with you why not try it alone? I did Narbonne to Dieppe in 2018 and I've done various other solo rides.
Finding a compatible riding companion is not necessarily easy.
Obviously you need the basic mechanical competence to sort out your bike if necessary.
France is a fairly easy country for cycle touring in logistic terms especially with the advent of smart phones.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, Roscoff to Nice via the 'eastern' route (Lyons) is a regular for us, returning via the Canal du Midi and Bordeaux. Plus or minus 4000 km, all the way around.

We often meet/adopt single cyclists, some more organised/less lost than others, but just go and do it - you will have fun, because France is such a great place to cycle across.

Have fun.
Attachments
The Saone, Lyon.JPG
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Aleks wrote:I would love to cycle St Malo to Nice/Montpellier...

Have you found the France en Velo route and book?
We followed that. Excellent.
http://franceenvelo.cc/route/

Jonathan

francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Morzedec wrote:Hello, Roscoff to Nice via the 'eastern' route (Lyons) is a regular for us, returning via the Canal du Midi and Bordeaux. Plus or minus 4000 km, all the way around.

We often meet/adopt single cyclists, some more organised/less lost than others, but just go and do it - you will have fun, because France is such a great place to cycle across.

Have fun.

Not escaped Blighty yet? There won't be much point unpacking the bike when you do, just turn around and return.
Watch out for elephants in the long grass when you do get home.
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

I would love the challenge of this trip, but I would also like to cycle back as well. I would prefer camping as much as possible.
I will be 68 years old next month, so that may be a consideration for you depending on your age. 100 kms a day maximum would be nice as well.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

forestboy60 wrote:I would love the challenge of this trip, but I would also like to cycle back as well. I would prefer camping as much as possible.
I did something similar 3 years ago as a lad of 65 years old. I went from Caen, south of Paris, turned right to go straight down through the edge of the Massif Centrale and then the Causse Noire to the Med at around Perpignan. Thence to Carcassonne, through the Causse de Quercy to cross Lot, Tarn and Dordogne to the coast around La Rochelle, then north to St Malo. Camping. 1500 miles (2400km) on the button. Average 65 miles (100 km a day). My route threw in a lot more hills than the franceenvelo route. Late June/early July I caught a day or two of evil headwinds in the flat bit south of Paris, and then the temperature climbed so that crossing the Dordogne valley on the way back it peaked at 40C. I've done other crossings (and return) of France, always camping and on my own.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Is it best / advantageous to start this kind of route from the North and head South?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

brumster wrote:Is it best / advantageous to start this kind of route from the North and head South?

Lots of factors to consider.

Last year it was easiest for me to fly out (Bordeaux) with bike packed at home, then cycle to Channel for ferry and train home. Flights are less flexible and you can book ferry when you get to port. Wind generally on my back as it is prevailing SW.

Year before, similar as easier to fly out and ferry home. However, Basle to Coast (WW1 battlefront) had NE headwind all the way during summer heatwave.

Generally I go for prevailing wind, but you can't rely on that on a shortish trip. Also where dou you want to finish - home or sunny Med.

The best you can do is to list any number of good and bad reasons for one way or the other. Add them all up and decide.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:The best you can do is to list any number of good and bad reasons for one way or the other. Add them all up and decide.

Exactly. I'd add the sun in your eyes to the list. And if you're at it for many weeks the seasonal change and the flora.

(We did St Malo to the Mediterranean, don't think that it made much difference which way. Then the Alps to Rotterdam, and would have stopped short if going the other way .)

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Speaking as someone who recently suffered my 65th birthday and is not dealing with it very well, some of these posts have been quite heartening! Well Done, folks :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
djb

Post by djb »

simonineaston wrote:Speaking as someone who recently suffered my 65th birthday and is not dealing with it very well, some of these posts have been quite heartening! Well Done, folks :-)

Chuckle
Not that far behind you, but one of my endearing memories of my first time touring in France, maybe 92, on Sundays local bike club rides would go by, and as a young dude,I was always greatly impressed by how there were always some old geezers hammering along in the pack. Clearly recall saying to myself, i want to be one of those guys in 40 years!
Im slowly getting there.
Just gotta keep on swimming, keep on swimming (movie reference, Finding Dory , the old thing about life and bicycles,gotta keep moving or you fall off the bike metaphor)
brumster

Post by brumster »

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought. :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And when you've decided it will be French food!

: - )

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Find Michelle Lee, a fellow club member, on Facebook. She is currently doing, or may just have finished a similar thing. Calais to Nice I think. I also think its is over 7days. But then she was aiming for the LEJOG record this year.