I am looking for a smartcharger

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Kevin91

I am looking for a smartcharger

Post by Kevin91 »

Hello, I have the 36V Powerbank 400 battery with 11Ah. I need a charger with 2A charging current. My current one has 4A. In the long run it will be too much for me. Can someone recommend a replacement charger?
Bonzo Banana

Re: I am looking for a smartcharger

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Are you talking about a Bosch powerpack 400 battery or something else? In what way is your current charger too much?
Kevin91

Post by Kevin91 »

Hi I have a Bosch battery.
I am looking for a charger with a lower current, as I have read in a study that the battery life is extended if you charge it with a lower current.
stodd

Post by stodd »

You need the compact charger:
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Bosch-Comp ... 2A-Charger
I don't think you'll get a non-Bosch charger to work, there is handshaking between charger and battery.

Overfast charging certainly reduces battery life; how fast you can get away with depends on the exact cells in the battery.
I suspect that the 4a standard charger won't significantly reduce battery life (guess not fact).

You'd hope that with the exorbitant prices they charge that the standard charger would have a switch for slower charging.

ebay completed listings show it going at £65 to £75 used.
Patrick80

Post by Patrick80 »

My wife found this new smart charger from the internet. Anyone here who has bought or used it? Can you share your experience with me?
http://www.lionsmartcharger.com
stodd

Post by stodd »

See thread on Pedalecs https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ost-567710
There are plenty of cheaper multi-rate chargers, there may be features of this one that make it worth it for you.

It almost certainly can't charge a Bosch battery.
rjb

Post by rjb »

You may find a power controller that you can plug your charger in to reduce the power output. There were thyristor controllers for controlling the speed of motors or dimming lights years ago. Ive got a home made one from an electronics kit which gives me a variable speed on my electric drill Heres something that may be similar on flebay but you would need to do more research. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/274343255407?c ... gIag_D_BwE

You probably don't need one that powerful. A plug in light dimmer may be a better solution. Cheap too at about £5
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

It's not a smart charger in the way that those in the know can relate to.
It might be able to charge to a set voltage but it can't balance individual cell voltages or read them unless a matched bms with BT comm's is also used. An unbalanced battery using this device creates more issues then it solves.
Patrick80

Post by Patrick80 »

I saw a competition on Facebook about this. To participate, you just have to like, share and explain why you want the LiON.
Finally, mark two friends to be able to participate. Maybe I'll be the lucky winner. Can then test it for free.
https://www.facebook.com/LION-SmartCharger-102734841488104
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Kevin91 wrote:Hi I have a Bosch battery.
I am looking for a charger with a lower current, as I have read in a study that the battery life is extended if you charge it with a lower current.

This statement beggers a number of questions:
> whose study is this and has it been peer reviewed (in other words is it a load of bollox rubbish or worthy?)
> so going from a 4A charge rate to 2A will extend the battery life by how much?
> as far as I can deduce from the Bosch ebike website, the 2A charger is those wanting a reduced size - no other reason
> I note that there is also a 6A charger for those in a rush
> the 4A version you have is the standard charger - apart from said study you refer to, do you have any credible 'evidence' that your battery life is going to be compromised using the standard charger or indeed the 6A version (and the charging current may well be reduced as charging progresses anyway)?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey