Good iPhone Road Bike holders suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tykeboy2003

Re: Good iPhone Road Bike holders suggestions

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Just buy a cheap gel case (a couple of quid) punch a few holes in it and cable tie it to the top of the stem or to the top of the crossbar.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Just buy a cheap gel case (a couple of quid) punch a few holes in it and cable tie it to the top of the stem or to the top of the crossbar.

That cheap case might not seem so cheap as you watch your precious phone being run over by a following truck because those punched holes wore into a slit while you hadn’t noticed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Paulatic wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:Just buy a cheap gel case (a couple of quid) punch a few holes in it and cable tie it to the top of the stem or to the top of the crossbar.

That cheap case might not seem so cheap as you watch your precious phone being run over by a following truck because those punched holes wore into a slit while you hadn’t noticed.

Been using them for quite a few years now with absolutely no sign of the punched holes developing into slits. They grip the phone well and I've never lost one out of a gel case mounted the way I described. On the other hand I once had a plastic plate type of holder with fancy fastenings costing 3 times as much and my phone bounced out and sustained damage.
nez

Post by nez »

small Ortlieb bar bag with a transparent top. The you can get gloves, covid mask spare link and inner tube in too. :)
Mackiemill

Post by Mackiemill »

I use the Quad Lock for my iPhone 8+ (decent-sized screen, and access pre-planned OS Maps routes on it can follow as if satnav). Gone now are the days of stopping at frequent intervals to turn the map over in the map case on the bar bag. Have done quite a bit of gravel and so far the Quad Lock has held the phone rock solid
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Been using them for quite a few years now with absolutely no sign of the punched holes developing into slits. They grip the phone well and I've never lost one out of a gel case mounted the way I described. On the other hand I once had a plastic plate type of holder with fancy fastenings costing 3 times as much and my phone bounced out and sustained damage.

A lot of the cheap gel cases don’t actually fit all that well.

The quad lock case really isn’t going to let go out of a phone - I'd not put the same trust in many of the gel cases I have had.
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 13 Aug 2020, 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

Yes I'm another the best place for my Iphone is switched off in me day bag ...Cycling for me is a time to forget the deadlines and the to do lists of life ...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

fixerupper wrote:Yes I'm another the best place for my Iphone is switched off in me day bag ...Cycling for me is a time to forget the deadlines and the to do lists of life ...

Apparently it's possible to turn off communications and notifications and use them only for helping to get you where you want to go.

Jonathan