Higher cadence bouncing in saddle (fixed)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Higher cadence bouncing in saddle (fixed)

Post by alexnharvey »

Is there a bike fit adjustment or technique/skill to reduce bouncing in the saddle at high cadences and especially when the bike wants to go faster than the legs?

My intuition is that a small saddle height increase might help, that this symptom indicates that it is slightly low.
Norman H

Re: Higher cadence bouncing in saddle (fixed)

Post by Norman H »

Shorter cranks will make a difference, as will practice.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Practice is what you need. Start with using small gears downhill, where you need little or no pressure on the pedals, and once you improve at them, try to gradually increase power output while maintaining cadence.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You are bouncing because of your pedalling style. You need to look up 'ankling' which will help to spread power delivery and stop the bouncing.

If you have access to a power meter that measures power delivery of each leg this will help improve your pedalling style.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I was taught that a saddle height needed to be slightly higher, if bouncing.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Use the brakes.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Practice. I started riding fixed over 50 years ago and recall some bouncing. That faded with experience. For many years I rode fixed exclusively so became adept at pedalling rapidly, I could touch but not sustain 200rpm. These days I would be uncomfortable at 150. The other thing I did at high revs is to ride against the brake - meaning I would drag the brake enough that I felt I could maintain some miniscule forward pressure on the pedals. Perhaps this tightens certain muscles which helps prevent bouncing - I don't know.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I have a pair of shorter cranks which I could try and have also been reading about technique to be smoother.

I didn't make it very clear but it is on a fixed gear bike.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Try to read the CONI 1968 Italian team book. Describes , obtaining your constitutional agility. Also a good book on the gear of the day.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Ride fixed on a circuit with moderate gradients. On downhill sections, sit back in the saddle and "let the legs go". Do nothing and don't tense your neck; that puts the body's brakes on everywhere. When you get the hang of it, try it on slightly steeper gradients. Good luck.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Sometimes letting your legs go whilst riding fixed is a good tonic for easing the legs, not sure about the bouncing as it is most undesirable to be out of control on a fixed. I tend to check downhill speed on my fixed after an unshipped chain event :shock: . What inch gear do you ride?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

alexnharvey wrote:I ... especially when the bike wants to go faster than the legs? ...

That sounds to me as though you are on the edge of losing control ie the upward force of the cranks is significantly greater than the force you are applying to slow your bike. Obviously, whenever you are moving forwards that force is greater or you would lock the wheel but by significantly greater I mean that it is enough to lift you - bouncing in the saddle - rather than keep to your desired speed.

Altering things may allow you to pedal faster to keep with your pedals.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If you want to pedal faster and not just follow the pedals round then have a spotter to tell you when you don’t keep the chain tight across the top. If you can do that, you will find you will learn to pedal. I suppose in today’s language, you will be stimulating the nerve pathways so it will be second nature.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I found this morning that trying to let the legs be free, which had been my strategy previously, was not helpful and led to bounce. Instead, either applying some slight back pressure, or ensuring there is always forward drive pressure both helped prevent it.

Obviously applying the brake reduces speed but it is not really a solution. I wouldn't otherwise feel a need to brake, it's neither super fast nor is the bounce so bad I am out of control, it just feels wrong.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What gear ratio do you use? How many and how steep are the hills?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies