Simon Cowell breaks back falling from electric bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mercalia

Re: Simon Cowell breaks back falling from electric bike

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:https://www.bicycleassociation.org.uk/news-press/simon-cowell-accident-ba-statement/

funny thing the Swind people describe the Swind EB-01 as a bicycle? A SWIND EB-01 Hyper Electric Bicycle

well in good company?

[youtube]bKHz7wOjb9w[/youtube]
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

This has confirmed my view that electric bikes can be a toy or plaything for the affluent.In 30 years the better-off will ride electric and the poor will be on normal machines.This should close the wide gulr in health that separates rich and poor.Why would an affluent teenager choose to pedal when he/she can go Duracell? Nice to see Si was remembered by Piers=lovely!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

he has done it again. This time he was riding a 'speed-pedelec'. These are illegal in the UK unless registered as motorbikes, equipped with front and rear plates, etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... crash.html

The Germans have a specific legal category for them, the UK does not.

The bike, a full suspension MTB, was in its natural territory of Holland Park, London, and he was riding illegally without plates, helmet, etc.

You would assume that a person riding an illegal motor vehicle who suffered an injury would be prosecuted, but I'm not sure if that will happen in this case.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I got as far as this and thought, he's incorrigible
He flew over the handlebars at 20mph while not wearing a helmet
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Pillock!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

What a bell-end the man is. For riding that thing, too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
stodd

Post by stodd »

I think we all agree on this one. Repeating my post on a similar pelecs thread:

It would certainly be interesting to know how many laws he broke: Unregistered? Number plated? Insured? Helmet?
If he broke a significant number then prosecuting him would have one significant benefit; free publicity. This is a chance to make people much more aware of the laws and potential downsides of breaking them. Of course, there is high risk of distortion of the details by the media, so perhaps not such a good idea?

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ent.42787/
hemo

Post by hemo »

thelawnet wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 7:39am he has done it again. This time he was riding a 'speed-pedelec'. These are illegal in the UK unless registered as motorbikes, equipped with front and rear plates, etc.

The bike, a full suspension MTB, was in its natural territory of Holland Park, London, and he was riding illegally without plates, helmet, etc.

You would assume that a person riding an illegal motor vehicle who suffered an injury would be prosecuted, but I'm not sure if that will happen in this case.
They are legal in the UK and .gov have a category for them, though not many get them registered and insured to do and be so.
borisface

Post by borisface »

Who?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

borisface wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 1:23pmWho?
The one in traction at the far end of the ward :shock: :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 7:39am he has done it again. This time he was riding a 'speed-pedelec'. These are illegal in the UK unless registered as motorbikes, equipped with front and rear plates, etc.

How did Mikey miss this one, I wonder? Isn't that his stamping ground?
peterb

Post by peterb »

He may or may not have been riding illegally as I believe there is a UK legal 15.5 mph limit version of this bike. Should we rely on the Daily Mail for information?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not rely on the Daily Mail for information?

Well I must confess, there's a surprise - and I'm sure 000's of others would share my surprise :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

hemo wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 11:13am

They are legal in the UK and .gov have a category for them, though not many get them registered and insured to do and be so.

Illegal unless registered as motorcycle and ridden like one. This is not a bicycle, in law.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The DM acknowledge that the legal limit is 15mph, and that Cowell's bike does 27mph, but there's no sign of the vitriol they direct at other cyclists.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche