Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Brucey wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Graham wrote:I think that the fat in milk is somehow changed, for the worse, by the cooking process.

……. proteins and carbohydrates are chemically affected by cooking, including …... Maillard reactions.....

I never cook porridge with milk, for fear of ending up with a bowl full of slightly iffy hubs and freewheels.

They are a bit crunchy you know.

cheers

Splitting the Atom with porridge. :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wouldn't that be a chain reaction?

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Camping with Diana Ross? The supreme breakfast!
Cyril Haearn

Re: Oats-so-simple ?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge in summer too of course
In winter I make it in the evening and let it stand overnight, this hot summer I have been making it in the morning for fear of mold
Is that necessary?

Dry uncooked oats keep for months, even years, of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Just ordered my 25 kg bag of Jumbo oats (we store it in boxes), £23.95 including delivery so well worth it. I put my oats in a box with water overnight then just microwave in the morning and eat with blueberries and damson butter. TOH is a traditionalist and uses a pan (he cleans it) and does it with milk and water for him and my son who like dark sugar and prunes or blueberries.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Just ordered my 25 kg bag of Jumbo oats (we store it in boxes), £23.95 including delivery so well worth it. I put my oats in a box with water overnight then just microwave in the morning and eat with blueberries and damson butter. TOH is a traditionalist and uses a pan (he cleans it) and does it with milk and water for him and my son who like dark sugar and prunes or blueberries.

Have you done a taste test comparing microwave and pan systems?
How long in microwave?
Pan system with water no great cleaning problem of course.
Are those oats you buy particularly special?
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A quick search turns up 1kg of oats for 75p at Tesco, so I'd expect a bit more of a bulk discount for 25kg than £23.95. But you did get them delivered.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Oats-so-creamy

Post by Cyril Haearn »

25 kg seems a lot, any risk of their going off, might one even go off porridge eventually? One must be sure they are stored completely dry, else some interesting insects might discover them
I used to add a sprinkling of oatmeal to my mixture of coarse and fine oats, makes the result so creamy. Oatmeal is expensive (why?), wholemeal wheat flour is just as good
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So quick, clean, easy, predictable / repeatable in a 'wave. The old man used to b***er about with a double-pan, bain marie-type jobbie for what seemed like hours, making porridge, when I was a kid. Mum used to moan bitterly about cleaning it - mind you, she used to moan bitterly about everything!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Cyril Haearn wrote:25 kg seems a lot, any risk of their going off, might one even go off porridge eventually? One must be sure they are stored completely dry, else some interesting insects might discover them
I used to add a sprinkling of oatmeal to my mixture of coarse and fine oats, makes the result so creamy. Oatmeal is expensive (why?), wholemeal wheat flour is just as good

We've been ordering that quantity for several years and it doesn't go 'off' or taste any different (I bought the last one in April just before lockdown), we just store it in air tight boxes somewhere cool and dark. This is jumbo oats, the big one! It has allot of texture which we all prefer, and hence the overnight soak. I'm pretty sure all the UK jumbo oats comes from Aberdeenshire.
I've got bored with it at times, but husband and son have continued to eat it and I think I prefer it now, fills you up and tastes good. I don't think how you heat it makes any difference, I think the amount you stir it affects it more.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Elizabeth_S wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:25 kg seems a lot, any risk of their going off, might one even go off porridge eventually? One must be sure they are stored completely dry, else some interesting insects might discover them

We've been ordering that quantity for several years and it doesn't go 'off' or taste any different (I bought the last one in April just before lockdown), we just store it in air tight boxes somewhere cool and dark. This is jumbo oats, the big one! It has allot of texture which we all prefer, and hence the overnight soak. I'm pretty sure all the UK jumbo oats comes from Aberdeenshire.
I've got bored with it at times, but husband and son have continued to eat it and I think I prefer it now, fills you up and tastes good. I don't think how you heat it makes any difference, I think the amount you stir it affects it more.

I agree with that. I've tried heating it on the hob and in the microwave and it always seemed creamier from the hob. Then I realised I was stirring it a lot more just to stop it sticking, so I then tried stirring it more when microwaving and it ended up creamier as well. I also like leaving it to stand for a bit after heating as the oats seem to thicken up a bit.

Never tried soaking overnight though.

Dave
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I chanced on some groats in the food store, can upgrade my porridge now

I have porridge nearly every day, all year. I understand other breakfasts are available
Graham

Post by Graham »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I chanced on some groats in the food store, can upgrade my porridge now.

How are you intending to crush/mill them ??

PS. I was gifted a hand-mill. This led me to buying groats. i.e The mill came first.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Bmblbzzz wrote:A quick search turns up 1kg of oats for 75p at Tesco, so I'd expect a bit more of a bulk discount for 25kg than £23.95. But you did get them delivered.

Includes delivery, ordinary oats might be that price but the larger jumbo is £2.20 per kg for a branded one, the Mornflake one is usually cheaper but still around £1.80. I live out in the sticks so it's a case of 'if we can find it', which is part of why we bulk buy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Graham wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I chanced on some groats in the food store, can upgrade my porridge now.

How are you intending to crush/mill them ??

PS. I was gifted a hand-mill. This led me to buying groats. i.e The mill came first.

They are ready milled, I cook them in the microwave, leave them a while, then add oatcakes and flour, cook again