Road position discussion from 'Witness or victim' thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
irc

Re: Road position discussion from 'Witness or victim' thread

Post by irc »

Pete Owens wrote:So here we have thew auto-supremacist argument in a nutshell.

They expect to be able to overtake cyclists as and when they encounter them without waiting for a safe opportunity .

There can be faults on both sides. I've seen a cyclist hold up 40 or 50 cars for 10-12 minutes in rush hour on a rural road because he wouldn't pull over for a minute to let them past.

Highway Code

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

irc wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Do you ever report littering with dashcam footage -- I do cos it's disgusting.

There is the technical problem there that unless the video is enough to identify the driver a reg keeper is under no obligation to name the driver for a non traffic related offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... ection/172

My dashcam is pretty good but still working on one for my bike -- don't want to use a gopro since to get a half decent picture you need to spend about £300 -- Akaso V50 pro seems more like the thing I'll go for. (About £100)
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

irc wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:So here we have thew auto-supremacist argument in a nutshell.

They expect to be able to overtake cyclists as and when they encounter them without waiting for a safe opportunity .

There can be faults on both sides. I've seen a cyclist hold up 40 or 50 cars for 10-12 minutes in rush hour on a rural road because he wouldn't pull over for a minute to let them past.

Highway Code

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Didn't know that but I do that anyway when I'm driving a slow moving vintage vehicle.
Even if I'm cycling -- just think it's good manners and promotes the image of cycling in general instead of being a Rick.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

irc wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Do you ever report littering with dashcam footage -- I do cos it's disgusting.

There is the technical problem there that unless the video is enough to identify the driver a reg keeper is under no obligation to name the driver for a non traffic related offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... ection/172

Re depositing litter from vehicles, in E&W local authorities have the power to issue fixed penalties to the keeper of a vehicle under regs made under s 88A, Environmental Protection Act 1990

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... ection/88A

AIUI, this was enacted to deal with the problem of identifying the culprit from the vehicle's registration mark