All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Post by Paulatic »

cycleruk wrote:I mentioned above about local lock-downs in the Lancashire towns. This only involves meeting within groups of people and may effect an overnight stop in B&Bs etc. While out on road I wouldn't expect any problems except if going into shops or cafes.
Puffins route around the Warrington/Wigan area looks interesting as the Wimps route uses the A49 in that area. Perhaps a combination of the routes may give a more pleasant ride. Puffin's route looks to use some canal towpaths and perhaps Puffin can comment on surfaces. I'm personally not a fan of towpaths but generally they don't consist of many hills but can add a few miles and are slower.
PS. As MickF noted sometime, the towns are a source of supplies so can come in handy.
When the Wimps did their ride it was a scorcher and not enough ice-cream shops were available out in the sticks. :mrgreen:

And if you don’t go through Standish then you can’t get a Butter Pie from Pepper Lane :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

I’ve got a couple of route queries. The first is a bit how long’s a piece of string but anyway. Day 1 is about 57 miles to St Breock on the Wimps route. That’s plenty enough for me as I drive down the day before, overnight in Penzance, dump hire car and then pedal down to LE.
But that leaves me barely 50miles next day to the obvious stop at Okehampton. That doesn’t seem quite enough distance even for me - i would have thought I could to 60-70 unless the terrain is very tough (Wimps route still) but I can’t see any obvious overnighter (pub, B&B type). Should I just be grateful for an easy day??

Q2 Most routes go via Edinburgh but Hidswills has just done one via Glasgow then Glencoe, Fort William and the Great Glen. It’s spectacular scenery but has anyone done it? Glasgow looks a nasty one to get through let alone whether the route is much longer and tougher.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

54F5F612-BDF5-4A73-B118-A0B3A0B06236.png

In that heat it was enough :lol:
I'd of thought you could push on to Tiverton though If you want as it must be mostly down hill as looking at those day 2 stats there’s 500 ft of descent to come :D

Getting through Glasgow is quite pleasant if following route7 it’s scenic from Chaterhault onwards beside the Clyde. I think the downside of the West is if you end up on the A82. I last rode Crianlarrich northwards 20 years ago. It wasn’t pleasant then and makes the A9 north of Inverness feel much safer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Paulatic wrote:54F5F612-BDF5-4A73-B118-A0B3A0B06236.png
I think the downside of the West is if you end up on the A82. I last rode Crianlarrich northwards 20 years ago. It wasn’t pleasant then and makes the A9 north of Inverness feel much safer.

Yes that’s a big minus - even in September it will be busy with trucks and caravans.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Avonmouth.jpg
Brianjeff50 wrote:I’ve got a couple of route queries. The first is a bit how long’s a piece of string but anyway. Day 1 is about 57 miles to St Breock on the Wimps route. That’s plenty enough for me as I drive down the day before, overnight in Penzance, dump hire car and then pedal down to LE.
But that leaves me barely 50miles next day to the obvious stop at Okehampton. That doesn’t seem quite enough distance even for me - i would have thought I could to 60-70 unless the terrain is very tough (Wimps route still) but I can’t see any obvious overnighter (pub, B&B type). Should I just be grateful for an easy day??

Q2 Most routes go via Edinburgh but Hidswills has just done one via Glasgow then Glencoe, Fort William and the Great Glen. It’s spectacular scenery but has anyone done it? Glasgow looks a nasty one to get through let alone whether the route is much longer and tougher.

There is a Premier Inn in Tiverton and a selection of them in Exeter. For Exeter from Okehampton continue on the old A30 and it takes you all the way there. Then take the B3181 through Cullompton and on to Waterloo Cross where you join the A38.

If you follow the Wimps route this goes through Avonmouth. I think I recall one of them saying this was the worst part of the whole route (or something similar). Perhaps you might want to take a look at Google Streetview of Avonmouth to the Severn Bridge and then do the same going through Hallen, Easter Compton, Pilning and Northwick? (M5 to Lawrence Weston is on a tarmacked cycle path and you can't see it on Streetview).
Edit see above, not Cherry-picking first images I clicked on.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Whoof - Avonmouth - I don't know who or why "worst part of the days route? 10 miles of pan flat roads & bike paths. I don't remember any problems with lorries.
Your Halen route though does look interesting. All depends on where Brian is heading for ?
It was our first 70+ miles long day but quite a bit less climbing. The main problem was the heat which was energy sapping. I don't think I have ever drunk as much water. My Garmin recorded a high of 36 Deg' C' that day. 8)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
whoof

Post by whoof »

cycleruk wrote:Whoof - Avonmouth - I don't know who or why "worst part of the days route? 10 miles of pan flat roads & bike paths. I don't remember any problems with lorries.
Your Halen route though does look interesting. All depends on where Brian is heading for ?
It was our first 70+ miles long day but quite a bit less climbing. The main problem was the heat which was energy sapping. I don't think I have ever drunk as much water. My Garmin recorded a high of 36 Deg' C' that day. 8)

It was from memory turns out to be Paulic 6th March 1.24 describes Avonmouth as "dire" and says would like to find another way around Bristol.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135902&p=1451502&hilit=Avonmouth#p1451502
If someone is going over to Wales the Hallen route meets up with the Avonmouth one a couple of km short of the bridge if turn left at Pilning. If you are going via Gloucester then it's just straight on to Olverston then up to Slimbridge and on to Gloucester.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

whoof wrote:Avonmouth.jpg
Brianjeff50 wrote:I’ve got a couple of route queries. The first is a bit how long’s a piece of string but anyway. Day 1 is about 57 miles to St Breock on the Wimps route. That’s plenty enough for me as I drive down the day before, overnight in Penzance, dump hire car and then pedal down to LE.

There is a Premier Inn in Tiverton
Thanks for the tip, just booked a room!
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Now the ride is looming close I've put together a kit list - bearing in mind I'm staying in B&B type accom, this is what it looks like.
I'll be using a pair of rear panniers, small under saddle bag and if I need it, a bar bag. I'd appreciate any comments:

CLOTHES
2 x short sleeve cycling tops
1 x winter(-ish) long sleeve dayglo top
2 x bib shorts
1 x emergency padded shorts
2 x t-shirt base layers
1 long sleeved merino base layer (doubles as jumper)
1 x leggings
1 pr mitts
1 pr winter type gloves?
Buff
Sunglasses
Light rain jacket (dayglo)
Light fleece ?

1 X Boxers
1 X lightweight trousers (legs zip off to make shorts)
2 x light cycling socks
1 x heavier cycling socks
SPD shoes
flip flops ??
2 x reading glasses

BIKE
3 x tubes
Pump (frame mounted)
CO2 inflators ?
1 x quick link ? (+chain splitter)
1 x bike multitool
1 x tyre levers
puncture repair kit
tyre patch?
1 x Leatherman type multitool
cable ties various
2 x bottles
Dynamo powered Front and rear lights.
Back up usb back light
Cable lock.
2 x Small 'café' locks
Spare 5mm screws for securing panniers and bottle holders.
A few rubber bands

MISC
Small medical kit, plasters, paracetamol etc
Prescription pills + copy of script
Bum cream
Sun cream
Sudacreme
Laminated ICE card
Money/bank cards
Note book and pen
Spork for eating snacks

COVID precautions
5 x disposable gloves
2 x masks (+use buff)
1 x hand sanitiser
pack surface wipes or bleach cloth in ziplock

ELECTRONICS
iPhone
Wahoo or Garmin (still to buy)
Power pack
Charging cables

+Manual mapping back up to sort
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hat/cap? sunglasses?

I usually carry 2 inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, and couple of velcro straps. I generally figure I can buy another inner tube or two, if I use them.

I also take some powdered sports drink mix. I measure out a few doses for my water bottle sizes into small plastic bags & carry them that way. They are useful if I get the knock or start to feel like I am getting low blood sugar. I don't otherwise use them.

Similarly, I keep some 'emergency food'; something like flapjacks or cereal bars are good. I normally supplement that by carrying an extra banana or something each day. It is a horrible experience to get the bonk, stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I would take some rain trousers, or another layer for the legs. Also, can all of your layers be worn at the same time? Does the rain jacket fit over the merino, if it is being used as a jumper, or over the fleece, for example? It's a good idea to have one more layer than you think you need, and to be able to wear everything warm at once. Definitely take the winter gloves. For two reasons, the chances are moderate that you will want them, and also, it's good to have a change for tired or wet hands.

The chances are small, but if you were to have a mechanical problem that you could not resolve in a remote area on a cold rainy day or something, being able to layer everything could make a big difference.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thoughts on your list (but we're usually camping some of the time):

CLOTHES
Swimming trunks in which you can also cycle
Lightweight gloves or mitts
The second set of footwear has to cover paddling, swimming, mornings and evenings in accommodation, and get you to the next shoe shop on your bike. I use structured sandals rather than flip flops (with single-sided pedals).
Sun hat

BIKE
Duct tape as well as cable ties
Various other bolts and nuts, some of which can be carried in unused eyelets and bosses
Spokes and spoke key
Pump adaptor to help other people
One fewer spare tube

MISC
Talcum powder
Baby wipes or toilet paper

ELECTRONICS
Kindle: in addition to books this can carry itineraries, timetables, field guides, tourist notes. (You can make your own and load them.)

USB battery pack?

I don't carry any paper maps but my wife likes to have one that covers the whole route.

Camera... or just the iPhone?
Binoculars

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 13 Aug 2020, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Vorpal wrote:hat/cap? sunglasses?

I usually carry 2 inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, and couple of velcro straps. I generally figure I can buy another inner tube or two, if I use them.

I also take some powdered sports drink mix. I measure out a few doses for my water bottle sizes into small plastic bags & carry them that way. They are useful if I get the knock or start to feel like I am getting low blood sugar. I don't otherwise use them.

Similarly, I keep some 'emergency food'; something like flapjacks or cereal bars are good. I normally supplement that by carrying an extra banana or something each day. It is a horrible experience to get the bonk, stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I would take some rain trousers, or another layer for the legs. Also, can all of your layers be worn at the same time? Does the rain jacket fit over the merino, if it is being used as a jumper, or over the fleece, for example? It's a good idea to have one more layer than you think you need, and to be able to wear everything warm at once. Definitely take the winter gloves. For two reasons, the chances are moderate that you will want them, and also, it's good to have a change for tired or wet hands.

The chances are small, but if you were to have a mechanical problem that you could not resolve in a remote area on a cold rainy day or something, being able to layer everything could make a big difference.

All good thoughts - once the heatwave is over I’ll try multi-layering.
Rain trousers - cycle specific or any?
Food and drink - I aim to keep stocked especially in remote areas.
Tubes - I’m paranoid about punctures after a spate of them.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Jdsk wrote:Thoughts on your list (but we're usually camping some of the time):

CLOTHES
Swimming trunks in which you can also cycle
Lightweight gloves or mitts
The second set of footwear has to cover paddling, swimming, mornings and evenings in accommodation, and get you to the next shoe shop on your bike. I use structured sandals rather than flip flops (with single-sided pedals).
Sun hat

BIKE
Duct tape as well as cable ties
Various other bolts and nuts, some of which can be carried in unused eyelets and bosses
Spokes and spoke key
Pump adaptor to help other people
One fewer spare tube

MISC
Talcum powder
Baby wipes or toilet paper

ELECTRONICS
Kindle: in addition to books this can carry itineraries, timetables, field guides, tourist notes. (You can make your own and load them.)

I don't carry any paper maps but my wife likes to have one that covers the whole route.

Camera... or just the iPhone?
Binoculars

Jonathan

Just realised that the second set of footwear has to do a six hour drive to Penzance so not flip flops!
Spokes? Am I likely to break one on metalled roads?
I do wonder what the likelihood of needing a chain splitter is?
Wet wipes - why did I forget those!
I think I’ll be too knackered to do much reading after each day’s ride but a proper camera I’ll miss - mine is too bulky and I really can’t splash out on yet more gizmos.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:I do wonder what the likelihood of needing a chain splitter is?

I have magic links on our chains and carry a spare and a tool.

Brianjeff50 wrote:I think I’ll be too knackered to do much reading after each day’s ride but a proper camera I’ll miss - mine is too bulky and I really can’t splash out on yet more gizmos.

Preloaded podcasts rather than books, dead tree or otherwise?

Have you looked at additional lenses for the iPhone... small, cheap, and fun for flowers and insects.

Jonathan
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

CO2 inflators - never used them: worth taking??