Front Wheel conversion

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
hjd10

Re: Front Wheel conversion

Post by hjd10 »

I've changed my mind again and listened to some advice. I've ordered the following kit:

AKM 85SX Rear hub with cassette, I'll lose some weight as this is designed for people around just under my weight!
13AH Battery & Controller (looks built into the battery case)
KM529 LCD
Hollowtech pedal assist
Thumb throttle

Thoughts?

I'm not going to change again therefore I'll see what the kit is like and how it performs once fitted. Using the rear wheel option, I'll leave my hub dynamo on the front wheel. Sadly these items are out of stock at the moment so I'll have to wait until the next shipment in August.

Howie
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I have the Cycloticity kit but with the 15Ah battery. It worked really well for a 5 mile commute and would recharge the battery every 3 days or so. The motor did stop working after 2 years and I bought a replacement. It is now fitted to my wife's bike due to her having chronic ME and it has proved really helpful geting her back in the saddle.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Just arrived home. 26 hilly miles and 25% of battery used.

What is your setup again? :wink:
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

I managed to pick up a 2nd hand kit which was originally purchased from Woosh...
It is a bit of a lash-up on the bike at the moment as I'm waiting for the cut out switches for the brakes and I'm trying to get hold of a hollowtech peddle assist switch.
The thumb throttle works though and a quick blast around the block suggests 20mph without peddling, I wont be using the system like that however when I pick up a peddle assist.
The hub is an AKM-100SX which I believe is the lighter weight one that I was orignially after. My 10 speed cassette fitted straight onto the wheel, although the wheel needs some adjustment as the dishing is out and the rim is all over the place.

Thoughts?
hemo

Post by hemo »

AKM100 is a good little motor but don't try and feed more then 20a or 1000w peak through the hub.
For a PAS sensor look for a BZ10C these are Hollowtech specific ones, ebay, AliExpress and Woosh sell them.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

hemo wrote:AKM100 is a good little motor but don't try and feed more then 20a or 1000w peak through the hub.
For a PAS sensor look for a BZ10C these are Hollowtech specific ones, ebay, AliExpress and Woosh sell them.

Yes it seems to go quite well. I’m going to continue with my order from Woosh and then maybe convert my wife’s bike as well. The Hollowtech sensor will come with that kit. I’m surprised how heavy the bike feels now and mine is fairly light. I hope the peddle assist will feel more natural. :wink:
hemo

Post by hemo »

Tbh I don't get all the I hope the bike feels/ride natural like a push bike, an e-bike is an assisted bike so will always have that shove in the back factor which you only get with a push bike with the wind at your back or downhill. The same argument with Torque sensing or Cadence sensing none of them feel natural a each gives a fair % of power over ones own stamina.
Some riders don't like to admit they are riding a pure ebike and come up with all sorts of crap/excuses to make them sound like a push bike which thee aren't. If one want's a natural riding bike then just ride a push bike and forget about all the excuses for using one.
Like when I'm out on my ebikes if someone say's 'Your cheating'' I say ' No I'm not, I'm out riding my ebike'.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

hemo wrote:Tbh I don't get all the I hope the bike feels/ride natural like a push bike, an e-bike is an assisted bike so will always have that shove in the back factor which you only get with a push bike with the wind at your back or downhill. The same argument with Torque sensing or Cadence sensing none of them feel natural a each gives a fair % of power over ones own stamina.
Some riders don't like to admit they are riding a pure ebike and come up with all sorts of crap/excuses to make them sound like a push bike which thee aren't. If one want's a natural riding bike then just ride a push bike and forget about all the excuses for using one.
Like when I'm out on my ebikes if someone say's 'Your cheating'' I say ' No I'm not, I'm out riding my ebike'.

I guess what I mean is not having to adjust a throttle switch. I like that if you need to get to work and don't have time to shower at work, it's easy to increase assistance and roll along with no effort. :wink: I need to work out a way of gaining some exercise for my commute which I think I'll be able to achive.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I would ask them as to what they think is being cheated? It's such an absolutely daft thing to say and implies that riding a bike is just about putting your all into it and working up a sweat (a bit like some forumites here - no names Mick though, but if the cap fits.....).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
hemo

Post by hemo »

I try not to get in to conversation with them, I say my one liner then either ride off or let them ride off. If others have an issue with ebikes then I can't help them if they have problems they can't talk about.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I simply refuse to have a discussion with someone who has the cheek to call me a cheat.
John
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Quick update, the 36V hub kit has arrived and I've fitted it all to the white bike as shown in the earlier picture.  Initially, I had a connection issue as it was displaying fault code 30 (there was a bent pin on the controller/main wiring loom, Woosh were quick to reply to my questions and I'm glad I purchased from them).  
Additionally, I've made the setup internal wiring, the frame on the bike doesn't owe me anything as it was really cheap therefore I'm happy to take a risk.  I know its not ideal drilling holes into frames however I couldn't do with the wiring lash up on the outside of the frame.

Thoughts/info so far.
1  I've managed 50 miles already with charge still left in the battery this a mix of max assistance and a few very steep hills.
2  It doesn't feel quite the same as the 48v kit I had on the bike before, the top end was higher with that and I guess the mileage will be slightly reduced on this one.  
3. The pedal assist is much nicer to use than a throttle assist.  I've lashed up a hollowtech setup as the magnetic wheel wouldn't attach to the crankset with the bolts, Araldite has sorted it for now! (The aircraft techie in me doesn't feel happy but we'll see how it goes).
4. The Woosh kits look much better on the bike with the controller in the battery base, it feels like a sorted setup.
5  The factory wheel isn't the straightest I've seen, I really thought factory-built wheels were getting much better.  I'll tackle this soon as I'll probably swop the wheel with the one from the other kit (Same hub different rim and spokes, but they will match the existing front wheel).
6  I feel for what it is the setup is very good and for the money, I don't think there was a better way to add electric to the bike.  The fact that spares are easy to get and not expensive is another plus.

Cheers

Howie