North East 250 Cycle route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

North East 250 Cycle route

Post by island girl »

Hi, just wondering if any of you have cycled the North East 250 route in Scotland. A circular route starting in Aberdeen, following the coast North then west, head south through the Grampians, then east through Deeside back to Aberdeen. Is the route suitable for a road bike and are the roads very busy with traffic. Any information or advise would be appreciated.
Witzend

Re: North East 250 Cycle route

Post by Witzend »

Island Girl - I can't speak for the inland sections, but I did from Buckie to Aberdeen when cycling the coast of Britain a few years ago. The section from Inverness to Fraserburgh was an absolute joy - unexpectedly picturesque, really friendly people and plenty of places to refuel. The Scottish roads, especially further North, were some of the best surfaced on the whole route and certainly no problem for road tyres. Traffic-wise, it wasn't bad at all, most traffic heading to/from Aberdeen direct rather than taking the coast road, and the motorbikes that proliferated around the rest of the Scottish coast thinned out by then as the NC500 doesn't go that far. Enjoy your ride (I'd do it clockwise if it were me).
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I've just done this route on a loaded touring bike and can't recommend this route enough.
The route has everything. Lovely costal harbour villages, whisky country, beautiful mountain passes and Royal Deeside.

We did it over 3 days and loved it.

Road bike will be fine especially with 28mm tyres

Road are very quiet except the small stretch after Peterhead.

If you need help with the route, I have good options to miss busier areas so just give me a shout.

You certainly won't be disappointed ridding this awesome route
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Is it signed.
Or, prerferably, since I tend to mistrust cycle route signs (an invitation to mischievous youth) is there a gpx?#
Sweep
Therealsouthstander

The route isn't signposted but I can share my route with anyone, absolutely no problem. We did it over 3 days and it was fairly hard going. Especially the bit from the Moray Coast over the Cairngorms to Braemar.

I honestly can't recommend this route enough. From quaint fishing villages to beautiful beaches, Whisky country and absolutely amazing mountain passes a d into Royal Deeside. All on quiet roads :) And it takes in 2 ski resorts..
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Is the cycle route much different from the North East 250 "car route"? There is a website that provides details of the car route:
https://www.northeast250.com/
That also has some advice for cyclists:
https://www.northeast250.com/cycling-th ... -east-250/
But that section is currently not complete. It does look good though!
Therealsouthstander

Thw route we went included using cycle paths from Banff to Findochty via Whitehills.. The path is right on the coast. Amazing wee section.

We also followed a narrow road from Collieston to Cruden Bay then across the main A90 and came out in Peterhead.. This section avoided busier roads.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

North East 250?
That's all we need, another promoted road route ruining nice roads with wannabe rally drivers, motorhomers, et al.
Therealsouthstander

I actually think it's wonderful for the local economy.. They area is stunning, absolutely stunning and the more people that get to see it the better. Just like any other country in the world..

Come and see it, you won't be disappointed :D
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

rualexander wrote:North East 250?
That's all we need, another promoted road route ruining nice roads with wannabe rally drivers, motorhomers, et al.

I thought the N500 already fulfilled that brief?
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Therealsouthstander wrote:The route isn't signposted but I can share my route with anyone, absolutely no problem. We did it over 3 days and it was fairly hard going. Especially the bit from the Moray Coast over the Cairngorms to Braemar.

I honestly can't recommend this route enough. From quaint fishing villages to beautiful beaches, Whisky country and absolutely amazing mountain passes a d into Royal Deeside. All on quiet roads And it takes in 2 ski resorts..

Yes please, if you have a GPX route and any information, I would love to have a look. My E Mail is neil@tandem-club.org.uk

Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Therealsouthstander wrote:The route isn't signposted but I can share my route with anyone, absolutely no problem. We did it over 3 days and it was fairly hard going. Especially the bit from the Moray Coast over the Cairngorms to Braemar.

I honestly can't recommend this route enough. From quaint fishing villages to beautiful beaches, Whisky country and absolutely amazing mountain passes a d into Royal Deeside. All on quiet roads :) And it takes in 2 ski resorts..

Many thanks.
Do you have an actual gpx?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

I'd never heard of it, but it looks great. I had planned a long Scottish tour for earlier this year, covering some of the same area. When I get to reschedule that I'l incorporate some of this into it.
For those looking for GPX files, it's all on their website, which was the first Google hit
https://www.grampiancyclepartnership.or ... 20Scotland.
Therealsouthstander

I can share my Garmin or Strava route, will that do?

I've had a quick look at that NE250 site posted above. I'd miss out that section on the A90 instead and take the unclassified road into Peterhead from near Longhaven.

Also ,when you come over the Cairngorms, the route above takes in the Lecht and Gairnshiel but misses out the climb to Crathie then Braemar. We camped in Braemar which is a lovely village and well worth a night Absolutely take this road.. In the morning we rode upto the Glenshee ski centre then back to Braemar for breakfast. The climb to Glenshee is absolutely spectacular and more of a long drag than steep. Definitely include this.

The site in the post above also takes in the Cairn o'Mount, the road through Drumtochty Glen to Stonehaven. This route again is absolutely spectacular. We didn't do that bit on this trip but I always do it 3 or 4 times every year. The Cairn O'Mount is a fairly tough climb but more than doable. I think at its steepest ,it's around 18%.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Therealsouthstander wrote:I can share my Garmin or Strava route, will that do?

Is the garmin route a gpx?
If so, yes please.
let me know and i'll fire over by pm an email address for you to send it to.
Sweep