Hand brake adaptions

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
danishpictionary

Hand brake adaptions

Post by danishpictionary »

Hi. I have arthritis in both hands and lack the strength to use any kind of traditional hand brake. Does anyone know of where I can find some adaptions?

I ride a cruiser with a coaster brake but with no hand brakes - naughty I know! - because of arthritis in both hands. I want to get my hands on - no pun intended - an electric bike but most are unsuitable for coaster brakes. Anyone out there?

Thanks
mjr

Re: Hand brake adaptions

Post by mjr »

danishpictionary wrote:Hi. I have arthritis in both hands and lack the strength to use any kind of traditional hand brake. Does anyone know of where I can find some adaptions?

I've seen people use gear friction shifters as brake controls but I think that's usually the back brake. I don't know if there's good reason not to use them on the front (as long as you are gradual when applying the brake).

I can't help with the other aspects, sorry, but I hope someone will be along shortly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

danishpictionary wrote:I ride a cruiser with a coaster brake but with no hand brakes - naughty I know!
Naughty does not come close - illegal. If in doubt of the potential consequences look at the case of Charlie Alliston. You are required to have a front brake - whether you have the capability of using it is another matter.

An idea for a brake lever - using a lever for straight bars or for bar end mounting, how about mounting it upside down so that you press on top of the lever. I expect it would need some practice to develop dexterity/sensitivity of feel.

I sincerely hope you would not plan to ride an electric assist at 15mph without an operating front brake.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tatanab wrote:An idea for a brake lever - using a lever for straight bars or for bar end mounting, how about mounting it upside down so that you press on top of the lever.

Yes, and there's a recent discussion around that.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I thought mounting a brake lever behind the handlebar so you can push on it with the palm of the hand instead of pulling with the fingers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:Naughty does not come close - illegal. If in doubt of the potential consequences look at the case of Charlie Alliston.

I feel that was more that he chose to shout and swerve without using the fixed wheel (legally a brake) to slow, then was defiant. Single brakes are legal in some situations (although not this one). A front brake would be better, but you can only brake until you lose traction or stability anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A back-pedal brake is sufficient in almost all situations, one must have a hand-brake but there is no obligation to use it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:... one must have a hand-brake but there is no obligation to use it

Which regulation mandates a hand brake, please?

There have to be "two efficient braking systems, operating independently on the front and rear wheel".
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike
with some exceptions for low and unusual machines.

(And on new bikes there's the mandated handedness for hand brakes if fitted.)

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:... one must have a hand-brake but there is no obligation to use it

Which regulation mandates a hand brake, please?
Paragraph 7 Construction & Use Act 1983. Admittedly it does not dictate a hand brake so some other operating system would comply, but I cannot readily imagine one that is on the market. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... 176_en.pdf
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Agreed, it doesn't mandate a hand brake.

Jonathan
willcee

Post by willcee »

I think any decent Factory E machine with Hydraulic braking might do your job.. they do not require anywhere near the grip strength required for a cable operated old school caliper brake that you would have had experience of.. that said if you feel that you cannot operate a hand operated brake of any kind my advice would be to stay away from E bikes it would not be fun to hit the road with 60 lbs of extra weight and perhaps more speed, and more so if you are in an urban environ... common sense is far from common.... will