Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MikeTr

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Post by MikeTr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
MikeTr wrote:I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.

Coffe beans, sounds good. How do you make the coffee?

I have small manual coffee grinder. Takes some time to grind coffee beans, but it's worth it. Btw I would recommend to take coffee beans that are better for espresso, since not everybody taking milk when camping.
Last edited by MikeTr on 20 Aug 2020, 2:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito ergo sum
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bike lock.
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

MikeTr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
MikeTr wrote:I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.

I have small manual coffee grinder. Takes some time to grind coffee beans, but it's worth it. Btw I would recommend to take coffee beans that are better for espresso, since not everybody taking milk when camping.

Thanks. I don't have milk anyway. I take ground coffee and a little filter which I use for both coffee and leaf tea. Beans would be better - will look into.
John
MikeTr

Post by MikeTr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
MikeTr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Thanks. I don't have milk anyway. I take ground coffee and a little filter which I use for both coffee and leaf tea. Beans would be better - will look into.

You welcome. Glad can help you.
Cogito ergo sum
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Oldjohnw wrote:
MikeTr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Educate me, why do you take beans and a grinder isn't ground coffee lots of little tinnie tiny coffee beans? I use this cup as a filter https://www.zyliss.co.uk/zyliss-red-hot-mug-cafetiere.html
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Aquila wrote:
I take ground coffee and a little filter which I use for both coffee and leaf tea. Beans would be better - will look into.

Educate me, why do you take beans and a grinder isn't ground coffee lots of little tinnie tiny coffee beans?

It comes nowhere on my camping list, but there are lots of plausible differences between freshly ground and preground coffee, including degassing, oxidation, and effects of a different grinding process on extraction.

But the real test is to compare them back-to-back and blinded. If you can tell the difference you can then make an informed choice. And if you can't...

Jonathan
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

It comes nowhere on my camping list, but there are lots of plausible differences between freshly ground and preground coffee, including degassing, oxidation, and effects of a different grinding process on extraction.

But the real test is to compare them back-to-back and blinded. If you can tell the difference you can then make an informed choice. And if you can't...

:lol: I must make more of an effort and try grinding some beans, what if I'm missing out here, I do like my coffee on a morning hence never leaving home without my zyliss coffee mug and ground coffee?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Blind testing can be fun, especially if done in a group. And it can be a lot easier with a non-participating worker.

Coffee, wine, Scotch, audio systems, music media, TV resolution...

... bikes???

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Plastic bowl and mug which fits inside the bowl but I must have stainless fork knife and spoon. Hate eating with plastic cutlery.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cowsham wrote:Plastic bowl and mug which fits inside the bowl but I must have stainless fork knife and spoon. Hate eating with plastic cutlery.

I don't like drinking from a plastic mug. I've got a 500ml steel pot with built in handles and comes with a lid. I use it to boil water and then a mug to drink tea. It certainly tastes better than tea out of a plastic mug or even if the water has been boiled in an aluminium pot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-Stainl ... ect=mobile
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

whoof wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Plastic bowl and mug which fits inside the bowl but I must have stainless fork knife and spoon. Hate eating with plastic cutlery.

I don't like drinking from a plastic mug. I've got a 500ml steel pot with built in handles and comes with a lid. I use it to boil water and then a mug to drink tea. It certainly tastes better than tea out of a plastic mug or even if the water has been boiled in an aluminium pot.

1st World issues :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I wouldn't attempt to guess what material others prefer to drink from. But I would suggest including silicone in the candidates.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
whoof wrote:

1st World issues :lol:

no idea what this means.
i thought whoof's post of value.
one might throw the same lol at your tagline.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

whoof wrote:

That looks handy
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

China or glass is, alas, still the best thing to drink hot drinks out of, but of the other options I personally prefer metal (whether a Ti or an enamelware mug) - you run the risk of burning your lips if you don't let it cool down, but there's no taint like you can sometimes get from silicone or plastic. Somewhere I have an 'unbreakable' plastic mug (lexan maybe?) that's ok for hot drinks, but it's a bit small for a proper brew, and I wouldn't want to boil water in it over a fire...