How Are UK Campsites Since Re-opening on 4th July?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Re: How Are UK Campsites Since Re-opening on 4th July?

Post by Slowroad »

Slowroad wrote:

The C and C Clubs I've tried are either closed to cyclists I less they carry a toilet in or the ones open will only let me go if I join. I sometimes think they are stitching up camping

Oldjohnw did you phone them first or just turn up? I'm hoping to use C&CC's own sites on a trip soon.

I never went. I inquired online.

I rang a C&CC site I might go to, and they said if I booked a full price grass site online, they would sort out the price difference between that and backpackers rates on my arrival. To be honest I'd be happy to pay full whack this year. I looked online and althought the box saying 'put in your member discount code' appears often, I could get through to the payment page without doing this. I'm actually thinking of joining this year, slightly perversely as I won't be camping as much as usual!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Pricing is often a mystery on campsites (pitch, unit, hook up, number of people, member, etc, etc).

I regularly feel aggrieved when I camp in my VW campervan, which has the footprint of an average modern car. Many campsites have a higher price just because it is campervan. For example on a site a couple of weeks ago, I paid £90 for 4 nights, my friend in a tent larger than my van, plus a car, paid £40. A pub mentioned above charges £5 for a tent (car included) and £12 for a campervan. Maybe this dates back to when tents were small and not many had a car and campervans were seen as luxury items.

Another problem with campsites reducing their facilities due to Covid is that those with good facilities charge higher fees, justified by their facilities. With facilities shut, prices are the same. I was 'paying' for showers which were closed in that 90 quid.
Steved

Post by Steved »

Rode down to c and c site at Malvern.
Lots of room for my little tent.
Some restrictions on numbers in toilet/shower block.
I never had to queue. Most people (vans) were using there own facilities.
Bit annoying that there is a 2 night minimum stay.
Perhaps we should remind them they used to be the cycle camping club.
Recommended - Malvern camping and caravanning club.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Popped up to Lochinver near Ullapool last week. Lovely campsite at Clachtoll.
Space for me and another N500 bike rider.
Busy with big family tents but cozy.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I understand Stonethwaite campsite Borrowdale has been forced to close due to the types who have turned up.
Seems it's a very laid back, turn up find a pitch, camp, someone collects money either that evening or following morning.... so no onsite management.
Means hordes have been turning up intent on all night parties.... not good for those using it for normal camping / outdoor pursuits / travelling etc

We have used 3 different caravan sites recently and everyone seems to have different rules over shared facilities; 1 had taped off alternative hand wash basins... perfectly logically but shower and toilet cubicles were all in use (after all you are in an enclosed cubicle) after that we had 2 sites with taped off showers and toilets but not the basins which were in closer proximity to each other. Also 1 had a 2 only rule in the facility, but on one occasion I went and 2 were already in... clearly in the showers which were at the furthest end of the facility.... directly opposite the door was an empty toilet... I only wanted the toilet and was not going to be anywhere near those showering so went in anyway...
Some commonsense does have to prevail. Having a toilet we did use that a bit more than usual at times.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

We were on Exmoor at Tarr Steps last week. Phoned the Halse Farm at Winsford and they had a space that night. Plenty of room in their top field. Most others using the facilities in their caravans and camper vans. One other touring cyclist turned up just before it got dark.
£16.50 for the two of us.
dondelion

Post by dondelion »

We left Sussex 6 weeks ago and have just reached Northumberland travelling via Dartmoor and Mid Wales. Probably spent 25 nights at numerous campsites mostly costing around £20 for 2 of us and 1 tent. Honeypot campsites have been heaving, especially in coastal Devon, but away from popular spots they're still quiet, as you'd expect. Never really had any problems finding a campsite but it sometimes requires ringing around. The main issue is finding sites that accept tents rather than just caravans. Approaches to booking have varied from online booking with no staff interaction at all to cash in a farmer's hand. Every site has restrictions on movement around the site but some are more regimented than others. Most have every other shower and toilet blocked off with hazard tape but there haven't been bathroom queues. It all feels almost normal...
shorts

Post by shorts »

Tent up in Drymen (Loch Lomond) campsite tonight £8.Already had excellent inclusive shower. Usually 70 folks camping but down to 40 due to cleaning responsibilities.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unfortunately I think that many tent campers, particularly the first timers are in for a tough time over the next few days. This morning's Shipping Forecast had gales all round the coast.

Hard dry ground probably won't help.

I'm staying home this weekend, good luck to those out there.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

simonhill wrote:Unfortunately I think that many tent campers, particularly the first timers are in for a tough time over the next few days. This morning's Shipping Forecast had gales all round the coast.

Hard dry ground probably won't help.

I'm staying home this weekend, good luck to those out there.

I've seen the aftermath of an unexpected summer gale on the average camper and it was carnage. From what I could see it seemed that hardly a tent had survived. Fortunately for me I was staying with relatives in the area rather than camping.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Most of our local campsites are closed except to those that have their own facilities; stymieing our traditional at this time of the year local mini tour. Phoning and e mailing around for some slightly further afield (Dales & York Moors) indicate that the proprietors are mostly sticking to the same regime. Hopefully once the school holidays are over (if they ever are) may mean a relaxation of the rules. Failing that I might flash the MTB up and get to Scotland before it gets too cold for some wild camping.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol: