Cycling in narrow lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DaveBeck
Posts: 61
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby DaveBeck » 21 Aug 2020, 8:28am

Cyril Haearn wrote:I shall certainly be continuing my fight against motor crime

..
Indeed, many stop at red lights, but nearly all ignore stop signs. It is best to try to be anonymous on the interweb so I shall not be specific about locations, truth is, motor crime is ubiquitous


Trying to remain anonymous on the internet is surely akin to walking down the main street naked and hoping nobody notices that you have a mole on your backside!

pete75
Posts: 13266
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby pete75 » 21 Aug 2020, 9:42am

pwa wrote:
DevonDamo wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:There are a couple of ways you can quote somebody without their name appearing at the head of a quote...


Thanks - much appreciated. However, my only objective in making barbed posts in these circumstances is to make sure anyone reading this doesn't get the impression that this 'them and us' attitude towards anyone in a car is generally representative of the attitude of bike riders. I don't get offended by such posts, but I'd feel really embarrassed if anyone assumed I thought that way too. The only reason I don't want to enter into debate is that I've discovered it's just shooting yourself in the foot - i.e. it gives more airtime to these antagonistic views which are unhelpful to any serious campaigning for progressive transport policies.

Like you, I don't judge people by whether they are drivers, cyclists or pedestrians. Indeed, I am all of those things. And around here most drivers are okay most of the time. I wouldn't still be cycling if that weren't the case.


Same goes for most places I think unless they're being observed through somewhat paranoid eyes.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5014
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Aug 2020, 9:46am

If we stay at a cross road for any length of time, sooner or later someone will break the law. To extrapolate from that that almost everyone does is seriously wrongfooted.
John

Pebble
Posts: 265
Joined: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Pebble » 21 Aug 2020, 9:53am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Fact is of course that breaking the law is endemic among drivers
Fact is, they kill lots of cyclists

very true, I would say most drivers break the law at some point on most journeys, with speed limits now being the most ignored traffic law. A small village near me has a speed awareness sign as you enter, most drivers will be 40+ as they pass the 30 sign. Speed limit for lorries in Scotland for single carriageways is 40, many/most sit on thier limiters at 56. Vans should not be going above 50mph and I doubt many van drivers even know that law exists (if they do they certainly take no notice of it). And on any long straight road cars take no notice whatsoever of their 60 limit - and as for motorways try sitting at 70, most other cars will pass you, many travelling considerably faster.

Abuse of mobile phone laws it at epidemic proportions, I see drivers playing with their phones every time I'm out. And as a cyclist just watch how many drivers flaunt the rules about crossing solid white lines when they overtake us.

I'm not suggesting most drivers are driving dangerously, but most will break the law on most of their journeys

Jdsk
Posts: 2823
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Jdsk » 21 Aug 2020, 9:56am

And, in "Cycling in narrow lanes", how are we getting on with:

Cyril Haearn wrote:Taking a hand off the bars cool lead to loss of control with disastrous consequences

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One should keep both hands on the bars as far as possible

Do you think that it's acceptable to take a hand off the bars to signal right, to change gear, to change position on the bars, or as part of a shoulder check?

Thanks

Jonathan

pwa
Posts: 12931
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby pwa » 21 Aug 2020, 10:00am

Pebble wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Fact is of course that breaking the law is endemic among drivers
Fact is, they kill lots of cyclists

very true, I would say most drivers break the law at some point on most journeys, with speed limits now being the most ignored traffic law. A small village near me has a speed awareness sign as you enter, most drivers will be 40+ as they pass the 30 sign. Speed limit for lorries in Scotland for single carriageways is 40, many/most sit on thier limiters at 56. Vans should not be going above 50mph and I doubt many van drivers even know that law exists (if they do they certainly take no notice of it). And on any long straight road cars take no notice whatsoever of their 60 limit - and as for motorways try sitting at 70, most other cars will pass you, many travelling considerably faster.

Abuse of mobile phone laws it at epidemic proportions, I see drivers playing with their phones every time I'm out. And as a cyclist just watch how many drivers flaunt the rules about crossing solid white lines when they overtake us.

I'm not suggesting most drivers are driving dangerously, but most will break the law on most of their journeys

I know this is going a bit off topic, but crossing an unbroken white line to overtake is allowed under certain circumstances. Firstly, it has to be safe, so you have to be able to see far enough down the road, etc. And secondly, whoever / whatever you are passing has to be travelling very slowly. Off the top of my head 10mph or less sounds right, but perhaps someone knows otherwise. This is all in the Highway Code.

There have been many discussions on this Forum about motorists contravening the rules but what matters to me when I am cycling is how safe I feel. If a motorist does something that makes me feel unsafe that concerns me. If they infringe a rule but don't put me or anyone else at risk, it may bother me a little at the time but I'm not going to be carrying that thought with me down the road.
Last edited by pwa on 21 Aug 2020, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk
Posts: 2823
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Jdsk » 21 Aug 2020, 10:03am

Rule 129?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#rule129

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Jonathan

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14263
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Aug 2020, 10:06am

Oldjohnw wrote:If we stay at a cross road for any length of time, sooner or later someone will break the law. To extrapolate from that that almost everyone does is seriously wrongfooted.

Please try observing traffic at a STOP sign and report what you see
The cops did that near me at a stop sign protecting a cycle lane. They issued hundreds of tickets in a few hours
'The stop sign, where no-one stops' was the headline in the newspaper
A few months later the stop sign mysteriously disappeared

I have generally not used the phrase 'almost everyone', rather 'the majority'

A stop sign is a suitable place to observe, one could establish how many drivers out of a hundred can not read
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Aug 2020, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Pebble
Posts: 265
Joined: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Pebble » 21 Aug 2020, 10:09am

pwa wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Fact is of course that breaking the law is endemic among drivers
Fact is, they kill lots of cyclists

very true, I would say most drivers break the law at some point on most journeys, with speed limits now being the most ignored traffic law. A small village near me has a speed awareness sign as you enter, most drivers will be 40+ as they pass the 30 sign. Speed limit for lorries in Scotland for single carriageways is 40, many/most sit on thier limiters at 56. Vans should not be going above 50mph and I doubt many van drivers even know that law exists (if they do they certainly take no notice of it). And on any long straight road cars take no notice whatsoever of their 60 limit - and as for motorways try sitting at 70, most other cars will pass you, many travelling considerably faster.

Abuse of mobile phone laws it at epidemic proportions, I see drivers playing with their phones every time I'm out. And as a cyclist just watch how many drivers flaunt the rules about crossing solid white lines when they overtake us.

I'm not suggesting most drivers are driving dangerously, but most will break the law on most of their journeys

I know this is going a bit off topic, but crossing an unbroken white line to overtake is allowed under certain circumstances. Firstly, it has to be safe, so you have to be able to see far enough down the road, etc. And secondly, whoever / whatever you are passing has to be travelling very slowly. Off the top of my head 10mph or less sounds right, but perhaps someone knows otherwise. This is all in the Highway Code.

yep, 10mph. Again I'm not suggesting it is always dangerous or reckless overtaking - but at the end of the day it is breaking the law. Motorists are too free and easy with what laws they chose to abide by (and I'm not claiming I'm an angel myself)

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14263
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Aug 2020, 10:11am

Overtaking crossing a white line where the cyclist is going slowly may be allowed, but often it is better to wait
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pwa
Posts: 12931
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby pwa » 21 Aug 2020, 10:13am

Pebble wrote:yep, 10mph. Again I'm not suggesting it is always dangerous or reckless overtaking - but at the end of the day it is breaking the law. Motorists are too free and easy with what laws they chose to abide by (and I'm not claiming I'm an angel myself)

Yes but it is not breaking the law if it is done safely and whoever you are passing is at 10mph or less. Under those circumstances it it lawful.

Jdsk
Posts: 2823
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Jdsk » 21 Aug 2020, 10:15am

Pebble wrote:And as a cyclist just watch how many drivers flaunt the rules about crossing solid white lines when they overtake us.

"flout"?

Jonathan

Pebble
Posts: 265
Joined: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Pebble » 21 Aug 2020, 10:21am

Jdsk wrote:
Pebble wrote:And as a cyclist just watch how many drivers flaunt the rules about crossing solid white lines when they overtake us.

"flout"?

Jonathan

Indeed, I used the wrong word, but then

FLAUNT - verb
display (something) ostentatiously, especially in order to provoke envy or admiration or to show defiance.


I'm sure with some (thinking boy racer types) there could be an element of 'flaunt' ?

could it have been a Freudian slip?
Last edited by Pebble on 21 Aug 2020, 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk
Posts: 2823
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby Jdsk » 21 Aug 2020, 10:22am

: - )

Jonathan

thirdcrank
Posts: 29647
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Aug 2020, 10:26am

Matthew 7:1 - 7:5