Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Kili75

Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Post by Kili75 »

Please see the below petition to increase the 25kmh (15.5mph) limit on electric bikes in the UK.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... Xp6DHGcMv8

Below text taken from petition page :

'All electric bikes in the UK are subject to an assisted speed limit of 25Kmh. After this speed the bike can be ridden quicker, but the rider will no longer receive assistance from the motor.
We would like the government to consider adjusting the limits to be in line with US legislation of 20Mph'.

Personally, I would like to see the speed increased to 25mph, having said that, 20mph would be a happy medium for most.

Young, fit and regular cyclists can quite easily reach speeds in excess of 30mph. I myself (not so young anymore) will often cycle over 20mph on flats and downhills so find it difficult to understand why the limit on ebikes has been restricted to 15.5mph.

Thought I'd share in case anyone on this forum had similar views. Thanks.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Madness. Speed kills
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I won't be signing.
John
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Signed, but I can't see it happening
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Oldjohnw wrote:I won't be signing.

+1...
Ebike Utopia

Post by Ebike Utopia »

I very much hope this passes and put us one step closer to finding creative ways to relieve congestion and reduce our carbon footprint by providing a green alternative to cars.

We need to be facilitating this as much as possible and leading the way as a nation for others to follow. We can do this!
stodd

Post by stodd »

I hope it doesn't happen. There are perfectly good regulations for people who want bikes like that; that very sensibly require registration, license, insurance etc. The 15mph rule is a completely appropriate rule for pedalecs without such overheads.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I won't be signing either.
Stupid idea.
Why bother with pedals? Just ride them under electric power.

We were in Benidorm a couple of years ago, and electric bikes there seemed almost everywhere .............. and the place is mostly flat! :lol:
Furthermore, we saw some with both cranks vertically downwards, so all they were was a pair of footrests.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Sure, take the lid off. But treat them as motorbikes.

BTW, why align with the US? Aiming to beat Puerto Rico to come the 51st US State in the brave new post-Brexit world?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Me & a chum were sitting outside the excellent Volunteer Tavern on Thursday evening, with the sun just over the yard-arm, when a girl shot past on a leccy scooter, on a path exactly perpendicular to my point of view. Now I know it's hard to judge speed, but it was my first half-pint and I'm going to guess that she was doing clear over 20 mph, in complete silence & with no effective means of stopping. No hard hat, obs. So, what's my point? I'm not sure I have one, to be honest, but it's not going to end well, I can tell you!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mixed initial reactions...

... please could others put reasons as well as votes in order to inform my conclusion.

Thanks

Jonathan
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

I won't be signing either. As far as I'm concerned the 15.5mph assisted limit keeps e-bikes under the radar (and licence, insurance & registration and everything else the Daily Mail haters call for) free. If you want increased speed then petition for a new e-bike category but don't be surprised if the powers that be say that’s only going to happen if comes with licencing, compulsory helmets, insurance etc, etc.

The impression I get from some e-bike users that what they want a mini moped, i.e. power, speed and a throttle, all on something that looks like a regular bicycle but with none of the responsibility that goes with riding what in effect is now a motor vehicle.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I don't understand the 15mph cut off.
I actually think it makes the bikes less safe merely because it's too much of a cliff edge.

The 250w power limit is self limiting anyway, under its own steam it would struggle to do 20mph on the flat - like most cyclists in fact.
So I'd remove the speed limit and simply keep the power limit, that way the bike is much more predictable and thus safer.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Jdsk wrote:Mixed initial reactions...

... please could others put reasons as well as votes in order to inform my conclusion.

Thanks

Jonathan

I like speed :D I have an electric trike and I'm nearly 69, there are times that I would like to just sit back and use the throttle and just cruise along, but higher speeds needs bigger battery and the price of them is enormous 36v 17 AH £500 and that is the down fall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Older readers will remember the original mopeds, little more than roadster bikes with a bit of power assistance and easily overtaken by a decent cyclist. The legislation was exploited to its fullest extent and then some. IIRC, mopeds have always needed a driving licence.

IMO, anybody who wants more speed should pass their test etc.