Noisy rear hubs: functionality or fashion?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Noisy rear hubs: functionality or fashion?

Post by mattsccm »

I had always assumed that it was a feature of design. My Hope hubs are never quiet no matter how they are greased or lubed. Knackered old, dried out Shimano ones are way quieter. Got to be design.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Do you mean they are designed to be noisy?
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Actually, I'm pretty sure one those noisy hubs I've mentioned above, it was a Hope branded. But it may well be as Brucey said: the hub mechanism been left no lubrication? Is that fashionable or just careless?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

No. The noise may be a feature of the design. Different design, different noise.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Agree.
Mick F. Cornwall
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Noisy hubs are a key and high priority upgrade for cyclists here in Indonesia. Often when selling a used bike that will be the sole upgrade 'hub already jangkrik' (jankgrik being a cricket (the insect!)).
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My Hope rear hub seems not as load as it once was, might be down to wear or since I put an 11sp freehub body on the hub. Wish it is still as loud as when it was factory fresh, situation not helped with the wheels on m new bike having a seemingly louder freehub.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
My WTB-branded hubs are noisy (about 7/10 for volume), good for pedestrians on the bridleways. It isn't a pleasant noise, even with late-50s hearing, so they remind me to pedal on-road :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

See. Two contrasting posts on the issue :lol:
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

I have two pairs of wheels with Hope Pro4 hubs both have noisy freewheels, I didn't buy the hubs for the freewheel noise I wanted something that was going to last a while and was easy to service when the time comes. As I understand it Hope used some toughened metal for the freewheel paws along with quite strong springs which is what I think makes them noisy, their reasoning it will last longer and give quicker engagement of the paws. On the move the noise doesn't really bother me I sort of leave the noise behind if that makes sense, I am aware but it doesn't bother me. Horses for courses I guess.
Rich
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I rather enjoy the noisy Hope hub on my mountain bike. It's fun. But then I also enjoy the quiet Shimano hubs on my other bikes. The difference keeps things fresh and fun. IIRC correctly, the Hope hub (Pro 2, I think) is much easier to service.

If I had to choose, I'd go with silent and use a bell for pedestrians, but I'm not going to bin a wheel just yet.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Never mind when coasting. I was out in the country yesterday and thought I heard a tractor coming up behind. I was quite startled when it said 'Hi' and a cyclist on a racing bike shot past. The tyre noise from a road race going past is quite impressive too. Although none of them consistently beat the way a single mountain bike on the road sounds like an armoured division on the move.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

One of my bikes has a Campag hub and when I first got the bike (third or fourth-hand) was really noisy, I didn't like it. But since the bike had a bearings service - which wasn't really needed so the bike shop guy cleaned the cassette too - it has run much quieter. I did wonder which was the 'correct' situation, and several people did tell me 'that's what they sound like'. But maybe it had got too dry?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Slowroad wrote:... But maybe it had got too dry?

probably yes. There's a spectrum of possible noises from any given hub depending on lube. Some can be made acceptably quiet (if you like it that way) but some designs will always be noisy.

Since this is an emotive issue for some folk it'd be nice if they gave you a choice of how noisy the freewheel is?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Brucey wrote:
Since this is an emotive issue for some folk it'd be nice if they gave you a choice of how noisy the freewheel is?

cheers

+1