new wheel set, rear fits, front doesn't

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Scudders

new wheel set, rear fits, front doesn't

Post by Scudders »

I might have to start a thread just for this assembly as it keep hitting sticking points. As the subject states the front wheel wont go with the forks so I was hoping that somebody would be aware of a potential remedy.

The bays on the inside of the forks, the bit where the hub/axle nestle into are 19mm, inner diameter. (sorry for rubbish pic)

However the bit of the axle/hub that nestles into the bay on the forks can be either 18mm outer diameter or 21mm if you utilise some adapters that came with the wheels, they look like little c clips and they also give the hub the required 100mm width.
with adapters

without

Obviously the bays will take the wheel when set to 18mm but it doesn't sit right and is off centre due to the axle no longer being 100mm without the adapters and tightening the thru axle to squeeze the forks, so no good.

My first thought... Is there an adapter that will allow me to nudge the 18mm diameter to 19mm diameter. Similar to the adapter that came with the wheel but not jumping all the way to 21mm... If so what am I shopping for?

My other bike has a wheel which fits like a dream due to the 19mm outer diameter of the hub/axle but that just moves the problem and doesn't fix it.

Any and all suggestions for a remedy welcome here.
Brucey

Re: new wheel set, rear fits, front doesn't

Post by Brucey »

it might help if you say

- what type of axle this is
- what type of frame this is
- what type of hub this is

my suspicion is that the problem stems from too many 'standards' which are not really 'standards'..... :roll: and that you have a few options here including;

- different hubs
- different/modified adaptors to fit current hubs
- modify the frame

I would probably try something non-invasive to start with; for example machining up new adaptors or (esp if I could buy replacements easily enough) modifying the extant adaptors to suit the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scudders

Post by Scudders »

Brucey wrote:it might help if you say

- what type of axle this is
- what type of frame this is
- what type of hub this is

my suspicion is that the problem stems from too many 'standards' which are not really 'standards'..... :roll: and that you have a few options here including;

- different hubs
- different/modified adaptors to fit current hubs
- modify the frame

I would probably try something non-invasive to start with; for example machining up new adaptors or (esp if I could buy replacements easily enough) modifying the extant adaptors to suit the frame.

cheers

These are the hubs
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-crossmax-29er-wheelset?utm_source=order-processed-sg01-gb&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orders&utm_content=product

These are the forks
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/croix-de-fer-853-fs-2020

unfortunately there is no spec for the bays on the inside of the forks but as you can see from the images the bay is 19mm.

Since originally posting I have done some more research and can only find shims to convert 19mm axle to 20mm but nothing for converting 18mm to 19mm. Also I've looked at sourcing some tubing with an inner diameter of 18mm and an outer diameter of 19mm but unfortunately once you start looking at 10mm or above the wall thickness is 1.5 or 2 mm. I'll keep looking for now bu not holding my breath.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

so it is steel fork with a 12mm through-axle then?

If this were a used bike I would say five minutes with a file ought to fix the fork. I can understand why you might be reluctant to take this course with a new frame though.

Q. what hubs normally come fitted to this fork in a built-up bike? Can't you use those?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scudders

Post by Scudders »

Just to update on this in case its helpful to anybody.

the Mavic Crossmax wheels set are sold as being suitable for 12mm thru axles but are in fact different on the front and on the rear. The rear axle is 12mm but the front is 15mm. This is what is causing the issue of fitting the front wheel to the forks.

Mavic consumer service say they do not make an adapter which is suitable to to convert the front wheel from a 15mm to 12mm thru axle suitability.

However I could swap the mavic hub part from 'LV2372000' ---> if I could find a retailer of part 'LV2374500' which obviously i cant.

In the next week I plan to fabricate some kind of adapter to convert the hub to accept a 12mm axle. so if you're reading this before the week is out and are aware of an alternative solution please post here so I can consider before commencing.

Plan to:-
1. Source Aluminium tubing with inner diameter of 12mm and outer diameter of 15mm (100mm wide)

2. I've found some washers with an Outer Diameter of 19mm (I will need to bore out the centre.

3. Get the tubing to fit through the axle pop the washers on the end and fit to fork.

4. Swear a lot, remove the forks and fit my grubby old carbon forks (mechanically sound) to my shiny new frame and pop in some QR adapters.

I will post results.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Given that the product description of the Crossmax wheelset is wrong, just return it.

FWIW I would not want a wheel with a 25mm internal width rim on a frame which Genesis state only has clearance for up to 38mm tyres. I would expect that a 19mm rim or similar would be far more suitable, e.g. Kinlin XR26RTS.
Scudders

Post by Scudders »

I managed to find a mavic retailer prepared to deal with mavic and order in the hub casing part. It arrived in the post today and I swapped out the 15mm hub shell for the 12mm hub shell. Simple enough but had to scramble a little tool together to get the shell out. Made with an old spoke.

I also contacted the retailer of the wheels and asked if they would reimburse the cost of the part, they have agreed to do so due to the product description being incorrect on their website. I Didn't fancy shipping wheels back and forth.

slowster wrote:Given that the product description of the Crossmax wheelset is wrong, just return it.

FWIW I would not want a wheel with a 25mm internal width rim on a frame which Genesis state only has clearance for up to 38mm tyres. I would expect that a 19mm rim or similar would be far more suitable, e.g. Kinlin XR26RTS.

I specifically wanted the 25mm internal rim width to go with the 38mm tyres.

Assembly is coming along nicely now.

Thanks all who commented and offered thoughts.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Well done for persevering and sorting it out. I don't understand the ins and outs, never having owned a bike with through axles or disc brakes but if I ever do, this thread will have been of use, even to me. :lol:
Last edited by fausto99 on 5 Sep 2020, 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

You did well - and full marks to the original retailer who'd rather pay your expenses than have to sell off a SH set of wheels (and lose a customer).