Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've been doing my own food shopping most of my life not relying on others, I mean I prefer to do my own food shopping , Fortunately my partner does share most of my reasoning in buying stuff in bulk.
Consequently we have probably at least £200 worth of food or put it this way we could probably last two months on the food we have at home if we had to.
This is how I've always brought Food for at least three decades.
I don't intend to go to the supermarket three or four times a week, why would you, if something has a shelf life of six months to 2 years it's not rocket science that you would probably buy it when it's on offer.
Both Lidl and Sainsbury's have stuff in and then they don't stock again for months.
If you see no need to do this then probably because someone else is doing your shopping or you've got more money than sense?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The good thing about Lidl is their 30% off offers. This some times means short dated like any where else but not so razor edge. BUT some times its just they are at the end of a batch of items they dont normally have eg PG Tips GOLD tea bags that were selling at £1.99 at my local lidl. The last 4 pkts were put in the reduced bin at 30% off ie £1.39. So I bought 3 of them - the expiry date is 10/2021. Can save alot of money that way.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Lidl are having craft beer festival,in cans and bottles-overhyped fizzy stuff which lacks depth of flavour found in barrel beer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like flour shortage soon. Buy all the (bread) flour you need now from lidl while you can?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53921121

any one know where lidl gets it bread flour from?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Shopping in the big Sainsburys at White Rose Centre South Leeds this morning. Place very quiet but there was very little flour of any sort.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm already stockpiling.
Going to Lidl's tomorrow so I'll be buying up the whole shop.......'s........flour :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That BBC News story fails to mention Russia too has poor Wheat yields. That was also a significant amount of grain lost in Beirut.
Oh for an EU grain mountain which used to get so much criticism. They only ever held 16 weeks worth for EU citizens but meant for years like this when we could empty them. Of course even if there was a surplus sitting somewhere in Europe Brexit has stymied our chances of that.
COVID has changed my flour buying habits having now had around 40kg from Shipton Mill delivered.Just hope they look after loyal customers first when the going gets tough again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Earlier this year, the problem was reported as one of distribution: they couldn't get the flour bagged and on the shelves past enough. It looks as though next time it might be a shortage of grain in the first place.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thirdcrank wrote:Earlier this year, the problem was reported as one of distribution: they couldn't get the flour bagged and on the shelves past enough. It looks as though next time it might be a shortage of grain in the first place.

I saw recently in my local Sainburys wopping great SACKS of flour for sale
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

will also affect things like biscuits. So I will be stocking up on them also. Fortunatley most have long use by dates well into next year
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I don't understand why people on here are hoarding. Doesn't seem right to me. Not everybody can afford to do this and I wouldn't want to deprive a poorer family with young children of bread. Just do without. Anyway, during rationing, the nations health improved dramatically.
rjb

Post by rjb »

mercalia wrote:will also affect things like biscuits. So I will be stocking up on them also. Fortunatley most have long use by dates well into next year

When biscuit prices rise I will just stop eating them. Revert to cake instead as Marie Antoinette advises. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m going to buy loads and loads of bog roll, because we know that bog roll is the thing that manufacturers can’t make enough of as soon as people so much as catch a cold.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bigjim wrote:I don't understand why people on here are hoarding. Doesn't seem right to me. Not everybody can afford to do this and I wouldn't want to deprive a poorer family with young children of bread. Just do without. Anyway, during rationing, the nations health improved dramatically.

I am hardly rich. Lidl Rich Tea - 29p , choc digestive 42p,shortbread fingers 39p. Good for a snack.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lidl near me plans to build a new store, perhaps one could buy the old one complete with contents for a good price :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies