Sustrans Route 2 - south coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chrisblackmhb

Sustrans Route 2 - south coast

Post by chrisblackmhb »

Hello has anyone done this route please as heading to Devon from London late September?
whoof

Re: Sustrans Route 2 - south coast

Post by whoof »

I've ridden sections of it on numerous occasions.
Riding New Haven to Worthing is very dependant on the wind, a howling Westerly can make this very hard going. Through Brighton expect to go relatively slowly especially near the Pier as pedestrians walk across the bike path to cross the road.
You have to cross a lock at Southwick. If there are a number of boats going in and out it can take some time. Mrs Whoof was there for about 20 minutes last time she rode to Brighton.

The coastal Devon section is very nice but hilly. The beach at Branscombe is worth a visit if you like that sort of thing and you go near the Donkey Sanctuary just East of Salcombe Regis. The route from Exmouth to Topsham is very pleasant but can be busy at weekends. Again OK if you don't mind slowing down and giving way from time to time.
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

Not sure how strictlty you want to stick to the route.
Route 22 gives a decent SW route of London( or pick it up from Woking, Dorking or Guildford) running down to meet the NCN2 at Havant. This actually starts at Dover and there are some excellent sections right from the start and some decent promenade riding mixed with lots of historical interest. Apart from outside Hastings eastbound there are no real beasts of hills on NCN2 until you are well into Dorset other than an alarming descent into Folkestone. There are a few breaks in the route (West Sussex is particularly poor at committing to cycling apart from around Chichester).

As the previous poster pointed out this is a route best done W to E unless you like regular 30 mile an hour headwinds all the way. I live on the coast and it is very unusual not to have some kid of westerly air flow (though Wednesday's would have blown you off your bike).

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/149267 Gives a route guide and maps to the whole route as well as giving you terrain and distance info.
humankeith

Post by humankeith »

I've only done the Devon part (I live in Exeter).

It's a fantastic route, but to get enjoyment out of it you have to 1) be prepared for the hills - although great scenery at the top! and 2) be prepared not to rush as some of the route is on shared paths.

It's easy to follow but I do use a gps to follow the way.