Best route into Glasgow

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50

Best route into Glasgow

Post by Brianjeff50 »

I'm still feeling my way through the various cycle route planning options around and sometimes getting seriously confused about which to choose.
Finding the optimum route from the south into Glasgow (with the aim of exiting onto the A82) seems especially tricky. The NCN74 seems to weave incessantly to avoid even a few yards of main road, Cycle Travel goes its own way at times and Strava's heat map route picks probably the most direct.
What worries me about following the NCN route is having to keep an eye out for signs and at the GPS while negotiating busy suburbs; I think I'd probably be safer on the Strava route. (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33920603)
It still all looks pretty busy to me: does anyone have any local knowledge of this area?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Best route into Glasgow

Post by Mick F »

I had local knowledge of southern Glasgow when we lived up in the region, but I will always say NOT to use the A82.

Cross over the Forth Bridge instead, and head north by another route.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Mick F wrote:I had local knowledge of southern Glasgow when we lived up in the region, but I will always say NOT to use the A82.

Cross over the Forth Bridge instead, and head north by another route.

I'm afraid I decided to give it a go; very keen to ride the Caledonian Canal route across.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Unless you're desperate to see Glasgow there's an alternative route to Crianlarich using the A84 via Callander. It's mostly on reasonably quiet roads to the east of Glasgow. Briefly, Happendon, Lanark, Carluke, Shotts, Airdree, kilsyth, Fintry, Port of Monteith and Callander.

PM me if you want a more detailed description.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Last year I went in which, I think, I plotted on cycle.travel. It was a surprisingly lovely ride and very enjoyable with a lot of it on cycle paths near the Clyde.
5F4A6290-A800-44CB-8F5B-E526288CFC6A.png

I came out on a route similar to yours by the look of it. A lot of it was noisy, busy, but did get the job done.
Looking at the stats my avg speed was 1mph better going in than coming out. That might be due to less traffic lights or end of a tour tiredness I can’t say.
7C5BC6CB-58CF-49D8-9F06-A314E07C3578.png

Next time through my route will be a mixture of the two The southern end similar to my return and the northern end similar to my way in. ( route75 ? I think)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Norman H wrote:Unless you're desperate to see Glasgow there's an alternative route to Crianlarich using the A84 via Callander. It's mostly on reasonably quiet roads to the east of Glasgow. Briefly, Happendon, Lanark, Carluke, Shotts, Airdree, kilsyth, Fintry, Port of Monteith and Callander.

PM me if you want a more detailed description.

I'm not desperate for Glasgow but the ride along the Clyde might be good. It does end me up in the right sort of spot as well. But I'll take a look at yours on the atlas. Thanks.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Paulatic wrote:Last year I went in which, I think, I plotted on cycle.travel. It was a surprisingly lovely ride and very enjoyable with a lot of it on cycle paths near the Clyde.

I've plotted that one as well! It seems to be a mix of Route 74, then 75 and finally 7. Probably is the most scenic and, to be fair, doesn't have too much diving in and out of side streets to avoid 100 yards of main road.