why the 'what three words' TV ad is so annoying?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Will

Re: why the 'what three words' TV ad is so annoying?

Post by Will »

Mick F wrote:Done 500 so far.
Stopped half way across the SE from central London for a slurp of beer.

Back soon. :D

The free 1000/month "convert to coordinates" requests are using the API to do a lookup of a three word address to retrieve the coordinates.

When you click on the map and get the three word address, then you are doing a "convert to 3 word addresses" request, which is unlimited (but covered by the fair use policy).

If you wanted to test the free 1000/month "convert to coordinates" requests to see what happens when to get to 1001, then you would need to search for a three word code 1001 times, not click on the map.

Save yourself the time/effort clicking map another 500 times and have another beer instead.

Will
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Will wrote:Save yourself the time/effort clicking map another 500 times and have another beer instead.
:lol: :lol:

Ok then, I'll produce a document of three words separated by full stops. Say, fifty random triplets repeated to 1,000 lines.
Cut and paste and spend a happy hour or so.

I'll give it some thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Question.
Can you just keep asking for the same one 1,000+ times or does it have to be 1,000+ different ones?
If it's the same one, it's easy to get to 1,000+

Another question.
Can I have a few browser windows open at once and do two or more at the same time?
Mick F. Cornwall
Will

Post by Will »

Mick F wrote:Question.
Can you just keep asking for the same one 1,000+ times or does it have to be 1,000+ different ones?
If it's the same one, it's easy to get to 1,000+

I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference as it clears the 3 word address when you click on the box. Having said that, the free 1000 requests is when you are using the API (and you are not), so that limit would not apply here. If you were using the API, they would be able to track the API key usage and could tell when you had reached 1000, but I would be surprised if they were monitoring you when you search an address via the website.

I don't think searching for 1000+ duplicate or random 3 word codes proves anything.

Will
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok Will, I can understand that.
Therefore, my original question still stands.

Why does anyone pay for it?
From what I see, no-one needs to, not even the emergency services.
Mick F. Cornwall
Will

Post by Will »

Mick F wrote:Ok Will, I can understand that.
Therefore, my original question still stands.

Why does anyone pay for it?
From what I see, no-one needs to, not even the emergency services.

You need to pay for it if you are accessing it via the API. You would do it this way if you wanted the functionality embedded in your own application, rather than using it as a separate app.

Mercedes have included it in the latest A series - I don't know if each car has to use it's own API key (and the user has to pay a subscription) or if they all use the same key (and Mercedes pick up the tab).

The emergency services do not pay to use it (even via an API). They and many other NGOs get to use it for free.

Will
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
If these people feel it's value for money, all well and good, but I fail to see any monetary value in it at all. Anyone using it could circumvent the payment system.

It's a very worthwhile app and easier to use than lat long or OS grid ref.
Mick F. Cornwall
Will

Post by Will »

Mick F wrote:Thanks.
If these people feel it's value for money, all well and good, but I fail to see any monetary value in it at all. Anyone using it could circumvent the payment system.

It's a very worthwhile app and easier to use than lat long or OS grid ref.

If you want to embed it in your own application, then it might be a price worth paying. The most expensive API access costs £235/month for up to 75,000 "convert to to coordinates" requests per month.

If the DPD test that I mentioned in an earlier post is typical of the improvement that a courier company could achieve (15%), then it certainly is a price worth paying. Hermes have already started using it and I expect other courier companies to use it as well. Embedding the functionality in your own app does have up front development costs, but after that you are only really paying for the API access each month (and £235/month is a pittance to a large company).

Will
Navara

Post by Navara »

mjr wrote:You've almost certainly paid for Facebook, by buying products from companies who advertise with them. Do you not understand how advertising-supported services are ultimately paid for by you?

Incorrect again.You seem to be good at surmising but not good at actual facts.I can honestly say I've never bought anything on the strength of any advertisers on Facebook or any other Social media site.You are just assuming I must have to try to prove a point you simply can't prove :wink:
Again I ask you to show me where I've paid for Facebook.You can't!

mjr wrote:I think that sort of defeatism is quite frankly verging on paranoid. I believe we can keep technology under our control if we choose to - at least for now.

Oh dear oh dear.
Now you're trying to turn your Paranoia around to me :roll: I suggest you find some straws to clutch as you're getting nowhere here :lol:
In what way,shape or from do you think you are "keeping technology under control" :lol: :lol: :lol: It's quite obvious by your comments on this thread alone that far from controlling it technology is fueling your paranoia :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Navara wrote:
mjr wrote:You've almost certainly paid for Facebook, by buying products from companies who advertise with them. Do you not understand how advertising-supported services are ultimately paid for by you?

Incorrect again.You seem to be good at surmising but not good at actual facts.I can honestly say I've never bought anything on the strength of any advertisers on Facebook or any other Social media site.You are just assuming I must have to try to prove a point you simply can't prove :wink:
Again I ask you to show me where I've paid for Facebook.You can't!

You seem worse at logic than I am at facts. You might not have bought on the strength of facebook ads, but I bet you've bought from facebook advertisers, thereby paying for it. Have you any Unilever products in your cupboards?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2020/ ... ide-the-uk

Some entertaining comments on there as the walkers assured the rescue services that they were "experienced" but apparently not experienced enough to have a map or compass or enough food and drink or the relevant clothing...