Merino Wool Underwear

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Merino Wool Underwear

Post by Mick F »

Possum:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_br ... ew_Zealand
According to Wiki, there are only 30 million of them in NZ.

Less than half?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

70 million was what they told us when I was there in April. They may have been exagerating, but its still a lot of possums in a country of only 4 1/2 million people. I like their style using a natural resource. :lol:
Off to Cornwall in the morning, Dickensian evening Lostwithiel!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

*****Thread resurrection*****

Just over 6 months ago I bought 2 pairs of merino short type underwear with the purpose of cycling in them and a great weight saving over carrying padded shorts when touring.
They’ve been successful and I’ve not once worn padded shorts this year. Including 4 consecutive days recently.
However I’ve just seen two little holes appearing at the main contact point after only 6 months it’s a little disappointing.
Are there any recommendations for cycle suitable hard wearing underwear or maybe would a Merino blend be better?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

They pop up at Aldi fairly regularly and are pretty good for the prices they go for. I don't think they super-warm, but they well-made & cosy.
EDIT: just been round my local Aldi and have to report that the outdoor goodies have largely been usurped by the Back To School gubbins... let's hope they open! :?
Last edited by simonineaston on 24 Aug 2020, 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I get small sweaters at Charity Shops to wear next to skin,and larger ones for layering for insulation.Usually £3-5 but look for holes as delicate.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

al_yrpal wrote:I have a Merino Beanie that I bought in NZ . It cost £40, which sounds crazy, but its sooo good, sooo warm and it even resists wind! Its actually 40% Meino Wool, 40% Possum fur and 20% silk. Someone mistakenly introduced Possums into NZ and now there is 70 million of them - they are a pest whose fur the Kiwis are making into clothing. A jumper in this material costs £200 upwards. If you want something special treat yourself, you will not regret it.

Al

Possum blend socks are great too!

Mike
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Worth a read and potentially asking the question re the wool production if you too are concerned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing# ... ts%20flies.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, Just one point - Do they sag like the old woolen cycle shorts did when they got wet? In a good downpour you'd have to watch that they didn't
sag into the chain-rings! :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:*****Thread resurrection*****

Just over 6 months ago I bought 2 pairs of merino short type underwear with the purpose of cycling in them and a great weight saving over carrying padded shorts when touring.
They’ve been successful and I’ve not once worn padded shorts this year. Including 4 consecutive days recently.
However I’ve just seen two little holes appearing at the main contact point after only 6 months it’s a little disappointing.
Are there any recommendations for cycle suitable hard wearing underwear or maybe would a Merino blend be better?

I'm currently trying the heavily promoted Step One boxers, bamboo viscose (I understand the fact it comes from bamboo is almost irrelevant) with Lycra panels. Not done enough riding in them yet to have made my mind up, longest day today at around 40 miles, but it was all in short sections so not a good test. if the weather is OK, I'm hoping to try them on a longer ride midweek. There's a 30 day money back trial period, so you could always try them for yourself.
https://uk.stepone.life/pages/the-product

My last tour long enough to do laundry was a couple of years ago, I used rowing shorts, the sort like cycling shorts without the padding, worked well for me.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thanks PH I hadn’t come across those in my search.
I’ve just ordered something probably similar to the rowing shorts arriving today.
I’ll be interested, as I’m sure others will, on an update as to how the step one are performing in 6 months time. They aren’t expensive if they last.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Have been itching to make a funny remark but have dried up.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, Only one thing to bear in mind - To clean them you have to use a large "Baaaaaa" of soap! Might get fleeced by the price :roll: . MM