Cycling and laws

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
emt15

Cycling and laws

Post by emt15 »

Hello I have been cycling for a year now and so far I like it and want to continue. My shifts will turn to night shifts and was wondering if I absolutely need lights at night time? I really don't want to fit/buy them. Is it against the law to not have them? If I am hit the fault will fall on the driver automatically wouldn't it? thank you
Jdsk

Re: Cycling and laws

Post by Jdsk »

In the light (!) of recent discussions may I ask if this is meant ironically?

But if not... Cycling UK's current description of the laws:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

emt15 wrote:If I am hit the fault will fall on the driver automatically wouldn't it?

No, for both criminal guilt and civil liability.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Aug 2020, 6:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
botty

Post by botty »

Yes you need lights at night
Yes it is against the law to ride at night without them
No any driver running into you if you don't have them will not automatically be classed as at fault (although they wont either if you do have lights)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

emt15 wrote:Hello I have been cycling for a year now and so far I like it and want to continue. My shifts will turn to night shifts and was wondering if I absolutely need lights at night time? I really don't want to fit/buy them

Hello There,
Firstly it's great to hear you enjoy cycling want to continue to do so and are using your cycle for commuting. In regards to your last statement, can I ask the reason behind your reluctance to fit lights - is it a cost thing? Or a weight thing? Is your bicycle parted unsecurely at work? Are all the lights that you have seen to ugly to fit to your bike? Do you only ride In well lit areas at night? Does your route to and from work not include any legally adopted roads by the local authority? Apologies for asking but if the reason was known we may be able to help a bit more.
Thanks for reading this,
Cycle tramp
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As said it's illegal.
As also asked, why the reluctance to ride with lights.... I have lights even for daytime.... it's surprising how a cyclist can disappear in some lighting conditions and backgrounds.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

Modern LED lights are excellent - both to be seen and to see. I find that at night and using good lights, I am given much more space by drivers than in the daytime. They do make a difference.

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident at night, and did not have working lights, you would be automatically at fault.

I have occasionally been caught out at night with a non-working light - expect most cyclists have, at one time or another. My current front light gives a warning when when the battery is getting low. And if it stopped, I would immediately see - or not! But it has always lasted until my destination. Unfortunately, while my rear light lasts much longer on a charge, it doesn't give any warning that the battery is getting low. And being behind me, I have sometimes arrived home to discover it has stopped working. When?

The days of dim filament bulbs, short life batteries, and unreliable connections with an overly optimist name are long past. Front lights bright enough to see with, or to be seen, had heavy batteries, short run times, and needed special chargers. It is easy to forget how much better modern cycle lights are, and are so in every aspect. Lighter - both weight and brightness!, longer run times, much more reliable, use the ubiquitous micro USB chargers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

?
Attachments
0E39C446-B1A4-48C8-8B70-6E846C087A84.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

peetee wrote:?

My thoughts exactly. Apart from these being an unlikely pair of questions for anyone to be asking, it's also looking very likely that this is a classic ' fire and forget' post.
mjr

Post by mjr »

basingstoke123 wrote:If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident at night, and did not have working lights, you would be automatically at fault.

That is not true. You may suffer a fine or criminal charges and you'd have a mountain to climb if you wanted to try to claim damages from the driver because you'd have to show that your lack of lights was immaterial, but you would not be automatically at fault. Our legal system rarely does automatic for traffic matters, which usually hurts cyclists but not in this case.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I really don't want to fit/buy them.
I can't think why not.
Just one thought: the OP may assume that all drivers are attentive, have 20/20 vision, are driving safely & carefully, don't take drugs, care about their fellow road-users and can see them readily at night through a windshield that's perfectly cleared of rain-water in the event of winter weather. Not so...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
whoof

Post by whoof »

emt15 wrote:Hello I have been cycling for a year now and so far I like it and want to continue. My shifts will turn to night shifts and was wondering if I absolutely need lights at night time? I really don't want to fit/buy them. Is it against the law to not have them? If I am hit the fault will fall on the driver automatically wouldn't it? thank you

No you don't need lights it's like speed limits when you're driving they are for losers.
Similarly of you get hit by a car tell the insurance that you had lights but someone stole them after you were hit. You know just like when you are texting and driving and you run someone over and say 'they swerved out in front of me'
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

eileithyia wrote:As said it's illegal.
As also asked, why the reluctance to ride with lights.... I have lights even for daytime.... it's surprising how a cyclist can disappear in some lighting conditions and backgrounds.

To be fair its only illegal if you ride on adopted roads, although riding off road you may need a light source which has better performance than a lamp built for road use. Equally, I've enjoyed cycling several miles without lights on a dedicated off road cycle way under a full moon. They remain one of the most other worldly experiences I've ever had.
*stands well back and awaits a response*
hemo

Post by hemo »

emt15 wrote:Hello I have been cycling for a year now and so far I like it and want to continue. My shifts will turn to night shifts and was wondering if I absolutely need lights at night time? I really don't want to fit/buy them. Is it against the law to not have them? If I am hit the fault will fall on the driver automatically wouldn't it? thank you

I drive for my job doing the p.m shift, in the dark it is idiots like you without lights who make the job harder and dangerous fall all.
If you ever get knocked down in the dark with no lights then you only have your self to blame, unfortunately I have no sympathy for idiots.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

cycle tramp wrote:
eileithyia wrote:As said it's illegal.

To be fair its only illegal if you ride on adopted roads, although riding off road you may need a light source which has better performance than a lamp built for road use. Equally, I've enjoyed cycling several miles without lights on a dedicated off road cycle way under a full moon. They remain one of the most other worldly experiences I've ever had.
*stands well back and awaits a response*

To be honest I aware of most of what you say. As someone who has done some very extensive night rides I have ridden with (an easily reached) front light off when there is no traffic around.... and relished in the delights of my own night vision... merely switching my light back on when a vehicle approached. Generally I do not need a front light to see by but more as an aid to being seen..... 2 quite different things.... being seen while I was commuting into, over the years; Leamington (and back to Coventry), Solihull and the Birmingham outskirts, Preston and back along the A6, being a high priority.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Jeez guys. Stop feeding him.