Three new food stores, why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Three new food stores, why?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Two food stores near me are building anew, although they both have perfectly good premises already
Must make sense financially, but I do not understand, a new store must cost a million, and we the patrons pay for it at last

Cheapfood is building a store 100 meters from the existing one, to ease the car park situation :?
Easynosh plans to build a store 300 metres from the existing one, still on the edge of town but nearer dwellings

Why? The old stores are perfectly good!
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 17 Sep 2020, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Re: Two new food stores, why?

Post by landsurfer »

Because it makes commercial sense to them .... and their the experts .............
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Why? The old stores are perfectly good!

How do you know they're perfectly good? As you say one requires parking improvement. They may leak heat or get too hot, cannot easily incorporate greener features like rainwater harvesting or a biomass boiler, have inadequate delivery facilities because lorries are larger.... the list is endless.

I once was peripherally involved with looking at installation of a biomass boiler in a 60s' council office. The report came back with a score of things that could make the building more energy efficient before changing the boiler. But frankly it really needed knocking down and starting again.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

although they both have perfectly good premises already
There's two new lights in the sky near me, that seem to be replaced regularly. I'm puzzled 'cos yesterday, there was a perfectly good, bright, yellow light in the sky, which was there nearly all day. I don't know why it's replaced every day. The old one was really good & surely didn't need replacing. It's the same with the other one, although it must be said that it's not as good as the yellow one, as it's a sort of grey silver. It does change shape each night but that doesn't stop it working and it is very reliable. They both keep moving about - I do wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to keep them still, in the same place. So why they replace them every 24 hours, I don't know. It must make some sense to the powers that be, but they haven't put any info out about them. I suppose they know what they're doing...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The new stores shall have too few windows, artificial light is used instead, the lights are on all day
How can that make sense? Light energy must be too cheap. Natural light is more agreeable and should be exploited as far as possible

The parking problem is probably a walking problem, people dislike walking more than 50 metres, space might be a bit short at Christmas

If possible, I shall boycott the new stores, for other stores are available, no monopoly here :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Why do commercial organisations leave their old premises and move to newly built ones? There are lots of reasons. Yes, inadequate parking at the old place could be one, as could room for delivery vehicles to turn, park and offload safely. Perhaps the stores are considering online orders / home deliveries in the future and need bays for vans to load up. Perhaps the new sites incur lower rents. But whatever the reasons, it will make economic sense to the number crunchers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I like marching up to strangers and asking questions, but I fear the deciders are not on site
Local paper plus oned the new cheapfood
Another minus: the new cheap stores are fancier than the old ones, bigger, with different layouts. Got to learn again, minusplus
Navara

Post by Navara »

simonineaston wrote:
There's two new lights in the sky near me, that seem to be replaced regularly. I'm puzzled 'cos yesterday, there was a perfectly good, bright, yellow light in the sky, which was there nearly all day. I don't know why it's replaced every day. The old one was really good & surely didn't need replacing. It's the same with the other one, although it must be said that it's not as good as the yellow one, as it's a sort of grey silver. It does change shape each night but that doesn't stop it working and it is very reliable. They both keep moving about - I do wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to keep them still, in the same place. So why they replace them every 24 hours, I don't know. It must make some sense to the powers that be, but they haven't put any info out about them. I suppose they know what they're doing...

:lol:
Made me smile!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I like marching up to strangers and asking questions, but I fear the deciders are not on site
Another minus: the new cheap stores are fancier than the old ones, bigger, with different layouts. Got to learn again, minusplus

I think we all get a bit tired of stores altering their layouts. My nearest Tesco seems to like relocating the red lentils every so often.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

"Red Lentils": you can get an ointment to put on that.

My nearest shop in France (oh, how I wish that I were there) is a 12km ride away from my chateau, which can be fun if one runs out of - well, most anything important - during the depths of wintertime. Doubt the layout has changed since the place was built in 1493 (approx, looking at the decor).

I'm doing 'two weeks on, two weeks off' at the moment: visit, quarantine, visit, quarantine, visit - oh what the hell, no-one knows where I am so does it matter? One cannot self-isolate better than being alone on a bicycle and camping wild at nights.

(Sort of) Happy days,
Attachments
Summertime.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I like marching up to strangers and asking questions, but I fear the deciders are not on site

I think we all get a bit tired of stores altering their layouts. My nearest Tesco seems to like relocating the red lentils every so often.

Plusminus, I found the brown lentils yesterday, even sniffed out the cheaper ones hidden lower down :wink:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

landsurfer wrote:Because it makes commercial sense to them .... and their the experts .............

Ah yes but "ex" is an unknown quantity and a "xpert" is a drip under pressure
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ferrit worrier wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Because it makes commercial sense to them .... and their the experts .............

Ah yes but "ex" is an unknown quantity and a "xpert" is a drip under pressure

Yet a whole nation is crippled and brought to it'd knees by the experts .... with the willing acceptance of unknown quantities of unlimited restrictions on freedom and a drip of a prime minister ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

! What we all need is a Beneficial Despot !

! Only five MPs !

! No Lords !

! Reduce taxes to increase fluidity !

! Sink the Admiralty !

! Free inner tubes for all !

I'd drink to all that. But then, I'd drink to anything that I suggested. Hic.

Happy days,
Attachments
Another Government committee meeting.jpg
Another Government committee meeting.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonineaston wrote:

Matthias Claudius spent a lot of time dreaming about the moon, he concluded that She loves little boys, but she loves little girls more
HTH