Twenty a day for 2020?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020?

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote:We achieved it on the tandem last year for the first time. This year mrs rjb has a medical issue which is restricting our mileage. Still managing approx 16 miles a day but almost every day so we still clocked up 511 miles for the month giving us a total of 3793 so far this year.

Where in Somerset do you ride, i've seen a few tandems on my perambulations of cider country :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Primarily between North Curry, Langport and Huntworth. :wink: And i dont have a lid on.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote:Primarily between North Curry, Langport and Huntworth. :wink: And i dont have a lid on.

well thats two of us then - i haven't ventured quite that far south as i'm currently based in Brizzle but i did see a couple on a tandem just outside Taunton a week or two ago :) In the past i've raced and done a bit of leisure riding on tandems and its very heartening to see so many around these parts - if i could go back and change my cycling i'd be adding a lot more tandem riding to the mix. Maybe when my grand son is a bit bigger (he's just turned 2) i'll get another lease of tandem excitement :D
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

July was very much a repeat of the last few months for me. 1047 miles ridden bringing the total for the year so far to 6061 miles. I haven't previously calculated my total altitude gain but I saw an advert for a challenge to ride the height of Everest in a month so decided to keep track of my climbing just for fun - 62,931 feet. I image other months were pretty similar. Whose idea was it to live at the top of a hill?! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pedalsheep wrote:July was very much a repeat of the last few months for me. 1047 miles ridden bringing the total for the year so far to 6061 miles. I haven't previously calculated my total altitude gain but I saw an advert for a challenge to ride the height of Everest in a month so decided to keep track of my climbing just for fun - 62,931 feet. I image other months were pretty similar. Whose idea was it to live at the top of a hill?! :D

you're a bit in front of me, I just passed 5000 mile mark tonight for this year to date.
you're on steeper ground too - you appear to be doing a 1000' ascent every 16.6 miles. My average so far this year is 1000' ascent every 20.9 miles.
How is your ascent calculated ? I do mine from bikehike http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

my rolling year (8 Aug 2019 to 7 Aug 2020) is at 7615 miles, trying to get it to 7800 (150 per week for a year) but struggling.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Pebble wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:July was very much a repeat of the last few months for me. 1047 miles ridden bringing the total for the year so far to 6061 miles. I haven't previously calculated my total altitude gain but I saw an advert for a challenge to ride the height of Everest in a month so decided to keep track of my climbing just for fun - 62,931 feet. I image other months were pretty similar. Whose idea was it to live at the top of a hill?! :D

you're a bit in front of me, I just passed 5000 mile mark tonight for this year to date.
you're on steeper ground too - you appear to be doing a 1000' ascent every 16.6 miles. My average so far this year is 1000' ascent every 20.9 miles.
How is your ascent calculated ? I do mine from bikehike http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

my rolling year (8 Aug 2019 to 7 Aug 2020) is at 7615 miles, trying to get it to 7800 (150 per week for a year) but struggling.

As I said I don't normally bother to log my monthly altitude gain but just did so this month out of interest. I simply added up the figures on my Garmin, how accurate that is I've no idea!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020 - August update

Post by foxyrider »

So here we are again, another month has passed with typical August weather, hot and sunny one minute, cooler and very wet the next :lol:
Its not stopped me getting in my rides, my rides only coincided with real wet on one day but that was more drizzle than the storms we've had. The bugbear here in Cabotsville district has been strong winds which have influenced my rides more than usual as i've tried to avoid long slogs home into the wind. I did miss one ride, it was planned though as i took a short trip to GOC for my daughters birthday and to see my grandson. my run of 100km plus rides came to a halt too, a spoke failure reduced one ride to just 50km, so i managed a run of 90 metric centuries! I also suffered my first deflation in 10000km, a slow on a wet ride. on the other hand i did get in 4 imperial centuries which helped bump the numbers.

So here are the numbers:-
August
rides 12
total distance 1682km
total climb 12381m
avg distance 140km
avg climb 1032m

ytd
rides 95
total distance 12845km
total climb 106724m
avg distance 135km
avg climb 1126m

So that puts me at 80%, some 2200km, ahead of my 16000km target for the year with a current 53km/day for the year to date (244 days) so well ahead of target.

Has the holiday season affected your numbers? Where are you all at?
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

905 miles cycled in August, the lowest monthly total for a while with a few rides shortened due to high temperatures, torrential rain or howling gales!
6966 miles for the year so far.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

August
21 rides totalling 762 miles with 37,187 foot of ascent

YTD
159 rides totalling 5,570 miles with 265,149 foot of ascent

Rolling Year (last 365 days)
228 rides totalling 7,891 miles with 379,752 foot of ascent

(ascent calculated through bike-hike)

Target for year is 150 mile per week, which I have achieved in last 365 days and 7% ahead so far this calendar year. (YTD)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Who else saw the thread title and thought of Mario Cipollini smoking a fag in the peloton?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Just been doing my miles book and have just noticed that I past a bit of milestone last week - Broke the 8000 miles figure for my rolling year (last 365 days) that's like from here to the Falklands - having a few beers to celebrate. :D

thought I would shre it on here as no one I know in the real world would have any comprehension, probably just think I'm mad.

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Well done Pebble :D

No idea what my rolling total would be but my ytd is a bit over 8k miles so i think i'll reach my 10k target :wink:
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020? September update

Post by foxyrider »

Well another month has passed, and not a great month for yours truly. I started the month strongly, over 450km in the first week but an altercation with some tarmac ended with the tarmac winning and me spending time in A&E. Nothing broken, mostly a lot of road rash but i did manage to seperate my clavical from its position at my shoulder - result, a fortnight without any sort of ride followed by a few shorter, steadier and quite uncomfortable forays once i could hold the bars again! Its getting better but i probably won't be tackling the hillier routes for another couple of weeks, Covid allowing.

So what did i manage? well just 8 rides, 917km and 5887m, theres not enough data to make much of but that first week did include back to back imperial centuries including the fateful ride. The good news is that i'm still on course to reach my 16k km target, i'm now at 13700km for the year which gives a ytd average of 50.2km so still looking very good.

I hope the rest of you fared better than me, i guess the weather will come into play next month along with shorter days. Will you keep going full tilt or will you ease back a bit?
pedalsheep

Re: Twenty a day for 2020? September update

Post by pedalsheep »

foxyrider wrote:Well another month has passed, and not a great month for yours truly. I started the month strongly, over 450km in the first week but an altercation with some tarmac ended with the tarmac winning and me spending time in A&E. Nothing broken, mostly a lot of road rash but i did manage to seperate my clavical from its position at my shoulder - result, a fortnight without any sort of ride followed by a few shorter, steadier and quite uncomfortable forays once i could hold the bars again! Its getting better but i probably won't be tackling the hillier routes for another couple of weeks, Covid allowing.

Sorry to hear about your off foxyrider, hope it's getting a bit less painful now.
Not a great mileage month for me either due to a few days of stomach troubles and a family holiday (which I'm still on). More details to follow.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

674 miles for September, the lowest for a long time due to minor illness and family holiday.
7717 miles in total to end of September. 10,000 miles for the year should still be feasible but I've lost the buffer I had built up.