Surnames

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Surnames

Post by mercalia »

Jdsk wrote:
mercalia wrote:What I didnt know was that slaves would be given a second name of the owner, an early form of barcode.

Why did you think that so many West Indians have European surnames? Slavery wasn't the only reason but most of the others were part of the systematic destruction of the Africans' identity and culture.

Is that comment about "barcode" a reference to branding?

Jonathan

if you listen to the programme it is a word he uses
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mercalia, I'm surprised that you weren't aware of the surname use by slave owners? You must surely remember one person in particular who objected to the surname his family were stuck with??
Cassius Marcelus Clay, Gold Medalist Rome Olympics, boxing light-heavyweight!
Clay was the American slave owner insisted that his property used the surname. One of the reasons why he preferred to use the name Mohammed Ali.
But I thought that the young ones had such details at their finger tips, make your phone do the thinking :lol: :lol: :lol: MM, an Oldie.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Mercalia, I'm surprised that you weren't aware of the surname use by slave owners? You must surely remember one person in particular who objected to the surname his family were stuck with??
Clay was the American slave owner insisted that his property used the surname. One of the reasons why he preferred to use the name Mohammed Ali.
But I thought that the young ones had such details at their finger tips, make your phone do the thinking :lol: :lol: :lol: MM, an Oldie.

I was never into thuggery hmm boxing so wouldnt know of that, though I assumed he changed his name for religious reasons
Navara

Post by Navara »

We gave both our kids a double-barrelled surname(My wife's surname and my step-fathers surname).The eldest has dropped my families name as we don't have anything to do with them.The youngest looks to be thinking of doing the same.I used my step-fathers name from a young age(4) until a few years ago but have since reverted to my birth surname.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Mercalia, I'm surprised that you weren't aware of the surname use by slave owners? You must surely remember one person in particular who objected to the surname his family were stuck with??

... I assumed he changed his name for religious reasons

Those reasons aren't exclusive. A major aim of the Nation of Islam was to remove white supremacy within the USA.

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Jdsk wrote:
mercalia wrote:

... I assumed he changed his name for religious reasons

Those reasons aren't exclusive. A major aim of the Nation of Islam was to remove white supremacy within the USA.

Jonathan

and it seems replace it by its own if this is to be believed

Since its founding in 1930, the Nation of Islam (NOI) has grown into one of the wealthiest and best-known organizations in black America, offering numerous programs and events designed to uplift African Americans. Nonetheless, its bizarre theology of innate black superiority over whites – a belief system vehemently and consistently rejected by mainstream Muslims – and the deeply racist, antisemitic and anti-gay rhetoric of its leaders, including top minister Louis Farrakhan, have earned the NOI a prominent position in the ranks of organized hate.

I think I will stick with white supremacy .......

I wont add any other quotes here from this article as they would get censored, read for your self

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nation-islam

allmost the KKK of the African Americans?

Makes me wonder whether we are being told the whole story about America

digression over
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:I think I will stick with white supremacy .......

Is the possibility of greater equality and less discrimination unimaginable?

Jonathan