Are drivers aggressive really?

Jdsk

Re: Are drivers aggressive really?

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many are just stupid, dozy certainly
I have read 'accident' reports many times, always the same situation, something like this: a vehicle moved over to turn off, one-two-three-four vehicles behind were all following too close and crashed into each other

Very often one sees nearly'accidents' where a driver following too closely swerves when the vehicle in front mates to turn off
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Don’t get me wrong - I wasn’t particularly ‘generalising’. To be honest I’m not really bothered about drivers in general, and have never had that much aggro from them.
My point was that I seem to read reams and reams on various bike forums about nasty aggressive drivers, and just wondered really how true this was! I’ve found overall I’m more entertained by silly errors drivers make, rather than concerned for my safety.

We've already identified the risk of confirmation bias.

IMHO another point that is not discussed adequately in those reams and reams is misreading of aggression and the like by the observer... if that varies between observers, as of course it does, it might explain the very wide range of opinions expressed even if they're watching similar events.

Jonathan

PS;
An example of atypical misreading in a different population:
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2009-18244-001
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Something pulling the other way is that the aggressors may/ are likely to describe their conduct differently.

If somebody "has an interaction" while holding a halberd, shotgun, pike, cutlass, etc., there's a prima face case that it was motivated by aggression.

Not so with a motor vehicle, which makes one an excellent weapon.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I come down firmly on the ‘yes’ side in answer to the thread title question. Not because of any sweeping generalisations about the characters of motorists, but for an even more depressing reason.

It’s called ‘systemic violence’. The whole motor/road system is based on an assumption that is at root, an act of aggression. In the U.K. in particular we have become inured to the idea that the motorist has a right to proceed at nearly all times and places, and that everybody else should get out of the way. It’s dressed up as a safety thing, but actually, it’s just naked aggression embedded into an accepted social hierarchy. The flip side of ‘Keep out of the way of cars it’s for your own safety’ Is ‘Gerrout of my way or I’ll smash yer, and if I didn’t see you it’s your fault.’

You will see pedestrians crossing a side road for example, suddenly skip out of the way mouthing apologies, if even a slow moving car appears. They have totally internalised the hierarchy of aggression and show their tails to the ‘top wolf’ in an act of submission.

Kenneth Graham had it bang to rights in Wind in the Willows, creating the immortal Mister Toad as the poster animal of these attitudes. We think of Toad as a lovable rogue, but in real life he is a blood drenched, amoral killer and maimer.

Until we take these immoral assumptions out of our culture, driving will continue to be an act of aggression, no matter how innocent the journey, or how pleasant the driver.

I know, it’s a big ask.

I said it was depressing.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sadly depressing, and a correct summation ☹️
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I rarely encounter aggressive drivers, and if I do, it’s often when I’m in my car. I’ve noticed there’s a certain hierarchy amongst car drivers, based on what car you drive. The smaller the car, the lower down the pecking order you are.

On my bike, it’s more thoughtless drivers. On several occasions in recent days, we’ve been overtaken approaching a blind bend, where the driver couldn’t see what was coming, but “Must Get In Front”. Thankfully, without incident, but one day these drivers won’t be so lucky. I’ve refitted my front and rear cameras, so I’m recording these incidents.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I drive a car and use a bicycle so where do I fit in, am I a driver or a cyclist? :lol: I need to be labelled!

It hardly happens but one time I remember a woman behind me beeping because she couldn't get past, I just hopped on the pavement and gave the middle finger until she was out of sight. :roll:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Manc33 wrote:I drive a car and use a bicycle so where do I fit in, am I a driver or a cyclist? :lol: I need to be labelled!

It hardly happens but one time I remember a woman behind me beeping because she couldn't get past, I just hopped on the pavement and gave the middle finger until she was out of sight. :roll:

You are a dryclist :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

General lack of hazard awareness, never looked at a Highway Code once they pass their test & drugs.
North Wales Police record more drug driving than drink.
Stay safe.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Unfortunately there's very little known about the effect of drugs other than alcohol on road safety.

The correlation of tissue levels with psychological effects is much more complex for nearly all.

IMNSHO the roadside testing kits are being used well beyond our knowledge of their reliability, and someone's going to show that in court one day.

But if I had to pick a class that looks most risky it's antihistamines.

Jonathan