25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: 25 Years Ago the most significant Windows operating system was launched

Post by mercalia »

francovendee wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, a web browser.
That's all that most folk need.

I keep a spreadsheet or two for accounts, and produce a letter or document or two to print out or save.
Generally though, just an internet link with a decent screen and a keyboard big enough for my chunky fingers.

Spot on. It's why I bought a Chromebook, it does all I need. You do have to trust Google mind! :lol:

and you do? One thing MS has done is their Credge browser that is Chrome stripped of all the Google stuff. Horray for that?
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Aug 2020, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Credege?!!! Probably means another 30 minutes a day of downloading upgrades! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
velorog

Post by velorog »

I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

velorog wrote:I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.

well the Windows 10 was free and incl free anti virus .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:
velorog wrote:I worked as a software developer for over 45 years in both commercial and academic environments, and in that time I've used a lot of operating systems and desktops. When I retired 12 years ago I switched my home PCs to Linux as I no longer needed MS Windows for work. The American business model is to screw the client for every last dime. Why pay extra for a virus checker, a word processor, and to upgrade to the next release when similar software is available through the Open Source Foundation for free. You don't have to be a geek to use a modern Linux desktop. They are robust and easy to use as several of my non IT literate friends and MrsVelorog will testify. Thankfully, I've not had use MS Windows for years.

Windows 10 was never free...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:

well I didnt pay for my copies. and mine aint bootlegged
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Credege?!!! Probably means another 30 minutes a day of downloading upgrades! :lol:

Al

Hmm actually Microsoft updates will download and install automatically at a time of your choosing. 03:00 is a good time to choose.

The point is people are at liberty to choose whatever OS they care to use. Folk who constantly attack other peoples choices either don't realise that or feel a need to constantly justify their own choice. If the latter it begs the question why?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:

So how did you acquire them?
You will have paid.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There were some free upgrades, as described in the article linked above.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote:There were some free upgrades, as described in the article linked above.

Jonathan

Which required you to have paid for the OS in the first place
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

On August 24, 1995, Microsoft held what's likely to go down in history as its biggest Windows launch in history with Windows 95.
Argueably the biggest commercial con-trick of the 20th century. Back in the very early '80s, Gates had hood-winked major players like IBM into believing he could deliver and, in desperation, bought a disguarded * operating system following a chance encounter... The world had to wait 'till the launch of '95 before getting what he'd promised all those years ago. A glorious example of where lying can get you. Him and Jobs made a dream team.
* The developer had reservations about its inherant insecurity - ring any bells?
Last edited by simonineaston on 4 Sep 2020, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mercalia wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

So how did you acquire them?
You will have paid.

well I bought some cheap as in £5 or so windows 8 licences from Ebay in the first place that gave me the free update, eventually.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like we are back at the beginning, remember the Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore and BBC Micro?

The Raspberry Pi gets an in built keyboard. All we now want are a Spectrum or Amiga or BBC operating chip and we can all become kids again and remember the good olde days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54782255

compare

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-400/
Jodel

Post by Jodel »

I still have two BBC Model B's in the attic, along with an Atari (for its Midi interface) all the iterations of Intel CPUs from the 286 onwards.

Since stopping work, I haven't used Windows at all - my home PC's and laptops now all run Linux Mint Cinnamon. I just got fed up having to keep paying Microsoft for essentially the same thing over and over again.