AW axle bolts keep coming loose

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robc02

Re: AW axle bolts keep coming loose

Post by robc02 »

I've usually used the sintered type (HM494) mainly because that is what I had available. I had a few breakages at one point but this stopped after I realigned the dropouts. - They were quite a way out so this wouldn't have been good for the axle. I persisted with them because they were a good fit in the dropouts, but I do treat them with a bit of caution when fitting the wheel.

I have one bike with the wrought type and they have proved to be OK as well.

I also experimented with a steel insert in the dropouts to narrow the gap so that no separate anti-turn washers would be needed. It was successful as far as it went, but I was reluctant to braze the insert permanently in position as it would limit me to SA hubs - I had a vague idea that I might want to use a fixed wheel at some point. I seem to remember seeing a production bike that was done like this - maybe a Raleigh?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Who or what ia AW-is it something cyclists should know.?My guess is Aluminium Widget or Always Working.It sounds like an expression to develop a sense of exclusivity,something which puts off new cyclists from this splendid pastime.
jb

Post by jb »

It is the Alternative way, in the second coming of the great God Bob, all cyclist will be forgiven their sins and given a free three speed hub gear. It shall be known as the great awakening of the no hype practical all weather cycling experience & wot not times. :mrgreen:
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

robc02 wrote:... I seem to remember seeing a production bike that was done like this - maybe a Raleigh?

quite a few small wheelers (some Moultons, RSW16s, twenties etc) used to come with slotted dropouts with slots that were the exact correct width and then simple grippy washers were meant to secure the SA hub. SRAM were still using grippy washers (rather than proper lockwashers) on their 2s hubs until quite recently.

IME if you are a powerful rider, grippy washers alone are often not adequate; I have seen plenty of worn/deformed dropouts.

BTW AW = Always Works is not far from the truth.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Brucey wrote:...IME if you are a powerful rider, grippy washers alone are often not adequate...

Ah, that explains why my AW axle nuts never come loose :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Joking aside it likewise explains why I have always 'challenged' lockwashers, pulled wheels over and made my freewheels almost impossible to unscrew etc. Not everyone pushes on the pedals in the same way; even the same power output might be delivered with very different peak pedal pressures.

I'm not at all fit right now; I've had too many nasty lingering viruses in the last two years to have done as much riding as I'd like. But I have managed to get out and do a hundred or more miles a week for most of this summer, mostly no faster than the steady miles I'd do midwinter, normally. I also 'had a go' on a friend's wahoo/zwift setup recently; I was not at all surprised to find that 150W seemed like quite hard work, 200W was not possible for long and 250W wasn't possible for even a minute without blowing a gasket. This is OK but it is also only a little over half what I used to be able to manage. However to my surprise I could still manage some kind of a sprint; 840W for five seconds, peaking over 900W. I felt like I might tear my friend's bike out of its mountings, and I was reminded why I've always felt much happier on rollers....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

It is the Alternative way, in the second coming of the great God Bob, all cyclist will be forgiven their sins and given a free three speed hub gear. It shall be known as the great awakening of the no hype practical all weather cycling experience & wot not times. :mrgreen:

Ha ha-brilliuant!
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

SRAM used grippy washers on the i3 hub until the bitter end (2017). They work great on aluminum frames - kinda chew up said frames, though.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mumbojumbo wrote:

Ha ha-brilliuant!

IMHO it is and they are. About six months ago I fitted an AW to my utility bike, so far I’ve been delighted with it. The three speed AW certainly does have its limitations and it might not allow you to make the best time on any particular journey. However given both thoughtful set-up and informed utilisation the AW is a delight to use and one can happily (you) and reliably (it) move you forwards for many miles. I preferred my Sach five speed hub (which sadly is now out of production, spares are limited) but the three speed AW certainly can be very practical - so much so that I’m considering converting another of my bikes to AW gearing.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
jb

Post by jb »

Muddy Fox rides again.
Muddy Fox rides again.
Well, securing the non drive side stopped the problem it seems. A good ride around the Trough of Bowland failed to loosen anything. Unfortunately the gearings a little low on the flats but you can't have everything. :)
Cheers
J Bro