Range of my e-bike.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Robertkelly123

Range of my e-bike.

Post by Robertkelly123 »

Hello all, my e-bike does 5 miles roughly per charge of each of my 10,000 mah 13s batteries.Now I see bikes on line which , according to the advertising blurb do 30 - 50 miles or so.So I wonder why is mine so low, or are they over stating the range of the ebikes I am looking at?
I weigh about 22 stone so this is a factor I suppose.My bike is modern with a modern hub fitted (yanho kit) I don't know the exact wattage but the way it goes I guess it's a 250 watt hub. So any tips and advise as to why I only getting 5 miles, all welcome. It's a good bike and I should just be happy with it but I always striving for a better setup.I might buy a new 500 watt Samebike, apparently it goes 30 odd miles per charge which would be GREAT!!!
kellyrobert605@gmail.com
Rob
Oldjohnw

Re: Range of my e-bike.

Post by Oldjohnw »

Removed by author.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 6 Sep 2020, 1:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

What sort of kit is it? How much assist are you using? What speed? How hilly? If it is a direct drive motor and you are using it on high level of assist that could explain things. Those motors are horrific at everything except going illegally fast on the flat; and known as huge battery eaters.

The quoted 'up to' figures so many adverts use are for a light user with minimal assist on the flat on good roads; typical real world figures are about 1/3 of that even on moderate assist, and a lot less still on full assist.

Any ebike bike with a rated power over 250w is an s-pedelec and illegal on UK roads without insurance, licence, etc; and illegal on bridleways, canal footpaths etc even with those.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

10Ah is a fairly small battery, it's not tiny, but it's not huge.

It really depends on the amount of assistance that is being demanded.

36V 10Ah is ~ 360Wh, so that should be able to pull 250W for an hour fairly easily. Of course the battery condition is unknown, and the actually current drawn is unknown as well...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hemo

Post by hemo »

5 miles range is terrible but it depends on the battery capacity rating and the power level used.
However your 22st weight is the biggest issue.
A typical 10ah/360wh battery is capable of 30 miles or so, if the lowest assist level is used on flat terrain.
At 22st though you will not get nowhere near any quoted range figures.

Some bike controllers are the really crappy speed controller type and they draw max current what ever assist level is selected, the only thing that changes with a speed controller is the max speed in each level.

A few things to clear up with ebike battery and range/mileage.
Quoted figures by manufacturers should be taken with a pinch of salt, any claimed range has likely been done under certain conditions to use as a sales tool. Lowest assist level will have been used, flat terrain will have been used and likely the ride will have been a fit very light rider.

As an example I'm 12st 12lbs approx. My bike uses a 208wh 24v battery and I can max the range to about 28 miles before it is spent. Weight has a massive bearing on battery use followed by assist level used/current drawn, terrain and weather conditions.

My touring day out bike has two batteries = 30.4ah of batteries, these comfortably have a range of 100 miles and both when at rest after the ride still have 30 - 40% each left in reserve capacity.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I can see why folks get confused about the power in their batteries and hence gauging possible cycling range.

There's Amp Hours (ah) and Watt Hours (WH) where Watt Hours is found by multiplying the Amp Hours by the battery's nominal voltage.

So taking the above post by our esteemed Hemo

A typical 10ah/360wh battery
so these figures imply then a 36v battery of capacity 10ah?

My bike uses a 208wh 24v battery
so a battery of 208wh/24v = 8.67ah then. So far so good.

My touring day out bike has two batteries = 30.4ah of batteries, these comfortably have a range of 100 miles and both when at rest after the ride still have 30 - 40% each left in reserve capacity.
so how many Watt Hours here then as no battery voltage is given? It would be useful to know the Watt Hours that give a 100 mile range for this particular rider.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
hemo

Post by hemo »

One battery is 522wh 14.5a/ 36v , the other battery used is 974.4wh/48v so 1496wh. Each battery used independently, the controller is dual voltage and automatically detects the voltage.