Fox News UK?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Fox News UK?

Post by simonineaston »

The 2016 referendum was a colossal and irrational gamble, the history of which is well documented here. The vote, on the other hand, became a proxy for the dissatisfaction of working-class Brits who'd been heavily dumped on by successive governments under the guise of "austerity". We, the British, regardless of where we stood back in 2016, are starting to find out that none of the promised benefits are going to come to fruition, whereas all the drawbacks will turn out to be as bad, or worse, as was warned.
Mix post-covid mass unemployment up with the consequences of no deal done by 31 December, and we're all going to be in for a very rough ride indeed, for the next few years. Just the sort of conditions that the nasty ends of both political wings will attempt to capitalise on. Folks would do well to get out their 20C history books and look for the chapters that cover the decade before the second World War, for some pointers on how to deal with extremist thinkers and their use of propaganda.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Do you see Fox Newsas a tool of an extremist individual/force?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mumbojumbo wrote:Do you see Fox Newsas a tool of an extremist individual/force?

Well it certainly has some credentials in that direction.
Murdoch is really not a very nice man IMV.
There is nothing social about him.
And he wields extraordinary power to influence globally.
A brief scout about the net produced this fascinating (for it's lack of information) entry for Fox's CEO.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Scott

She was apparently born in either 1965 or 66 ( :shock: !) and is as a consequence also of indeterminate age.
Rather strange?

I guess someone that was really curious could delve a bit more.
Mini skirts are something of an issue it would seem!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PDQ Mobile wrote:A brief scout about the net produced this fascinating (for it's lack of information) entry for Fox's CEO.

She was apparently born in either 1965 or 66 ( :shock: !) and is as a consequence also of indeterminate age.
Rather strange?

I don't think so, one of the common criticisms of Wikipedia is that it has little balance in terms of the importance of topics - so avid fans may put up far more text about something like Game of Thrones than the work of Charles Darwin, even though most people would agree, the work of Darwin is more important. (I haven't looked BTW but these comparisons have been made before, i remember Star Trek: The Next Generation had a huge number of pages and associated pages.)

It depends who's really interested in Fox News' CEO to have a comprehensive entry. And she's far from the only woman (or man) to be coy about her age. I read yesterday Trevor Howard claimed to be three years younger than he was for his entire acting career.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

simonineaston wrote:The 2016 referendum was a colossal and irrational gamble, the history of which is well documented here. The vote, on the other hand, became a proxy for the dissatisfaction of working-class Brits who'd been heavily dumped on by successive governments under the guise of "austerity". We, the British, regardless of where we stood back in 2016, are starting to find out that none of the promised benefits are going to come to fruition, whereas all the drawbacks will turn out to be as bad, or worse, as was warned.
Mix post-covid mass unemployment up with the consequences of no deal done by 31 December, and we're all going to be in for a very rough ride indeed, for the next few years. Just the sort of conditions that the nasty ends of both political wings will attempt to capitalise on. Folks would do well to get out their 20C history books and look for the chapters that cover the decade before the second World War, for some pointers on how to deal with extremist thinkers and their use of propaganda.

There was a Schroder analyst on BBC news the other day going on about consequences of the latest Johnson government's Brexit FU. Basically it'll knock 1 or 2 % off GDP. A small fraction of what covid19 has already done. Seems it's not a big a deal as a global pandemic. Go figure!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There was a Schroder analyst on BBC news the other day going on about consequences of the latest Johnson government's Brexit FU. Basically it'll knock 1 or 2 % off GDP. A small fraction of what covid19 has already done. Seems it's not a big a deal as a global pandemic. Go figure!
With respect to the economic consequences of Brexit, one of the problems is that it's a fork. We're now on a different road. It's nigh on impossible to say with any degree of plausibility, what may have happened had we not left...
With respect to Fox News and it's credibility as a news source - at least over in the US - anyone with objectivity in mind, who is capable of clear thought, will have no difficulty in coming to the conclusion that it is an unreliable news source, with a clear Republican bias and has been described by sober American commentators as the "nearest thing we have to state TV"... a mouthpiece for Trump - although it has to be said, that even they struggle to make the man sound lucid, most of the time!
If the organisation comes to the UK, then we can expect a similar stance, that is to say, a distinct bias to news journalism, with op. ed. material effectively a mouthpiece for the current right-wing administration wishing to promote their own agenda.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ben@Forest wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:A brief scout about the net produced this fascinating (for it's lack of information) entry for Fox's CEO.

Rather strange?

I don't think so, one of the common criticisms of Wikipedia is that it has little balance in terms of the importance of topics - so avid fans may put up far more text about something like Game of Thrones than the work of Charles Darwin, even though most people would agree, the work of Darwin is more important. (I haven't looked BTW but these comparisons have been made before, i remember Star Trek: The Next Generation had a huge number of pages and associated pages.)

It depends who's really interested in Fox News' CEO to have a comprehensive entry. And she's far from the only woman (or man) to be coy about her age. I read yesterday Trevor Howard claimed to be three years younger than he was for his entire acting career.

I note your snipping of my comments on Murdoch, indeed it is a trait.
Either quote all of me or none at all please because partial quotes are not painting the whole jist.
Especially in shorter posts please.

I find it extraordinary (but totally understandable given my sceptical mind) that one who wields so much power should have such an inaccurate and fudged Wiki entry.
I think your "women don't like to divulge their birthdays" a weak argument.
It is deliberate obfuscation around someone who either directly or indirectly has a great deal of control over all of our beliefs and opinions.IMHO

Murdoch has right wing views and right wing credentials. He will support those that do his bidding.
It's that simple.
It "wos the Sun wot won it"!

He had it in for the EU big time after they ruled against him gaining ever more monopolistic media power within the block.
He backed "leave" partly as revenge measure (IMV) and he couldn't care less about the average UK citizen, not a jot.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Either quote all of me or none at all please because partial quotes are not painting the whole jist.
An unreasonable expectation, I'm afraid, PDQ... the assumption must be that all interested parties will have read your post in its entirety. The purpose of a quote is to draw attention to one particular element of a previous respondant's whole pronouncement. If everyone fell into line with your wishes, we'd be faced with a long list of posts simply repeating everything that had been said before. That's not how it works.
EDIT: actually, ignore what I just said - it's not my call, but rather the moderators! :D
S
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Nothing to interest moderators here.
Just my personal plea and an simple observation.
Ben@forest and I have very different views on many different subjects but we are almost invariably civil.
I daren't upset him too much anyway, or he won't pay the tenner. :shock:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:I knew you'd know.

And Remain voters are supposed to be better educated.... :wink:

Given that all the intelligent predictions about trade deals, backlogs and lorry stacking at Dover, and so many other realities dismissed as "remainers" and "Project Fear" are now proving to be true.....it is unequivocal that Remain voters WERE more intelligent

Hmmm two cities in Cambridgeshire roughly the same size. Cambridge and Peterborough. The former voted 73% remain, the latter 60% to leave. Largest employment opportunities in Cambridge, the University and science and technology companies, largest in Peterborough, Amazon warehouse and others of that type. It's safe to say the average Cantabrigian is somewhat brighter and better educated than the average Peterboroughite though the influx of EU migrants has pushed up the IQ and educational attainment levels in the city. They didn't get a vote in the referendum though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
And Remain voters are supposed to be better educated.... :wink:

Given that all the intelligent predictions about trade deals, backlogs and lorry stacking at Dover, and so many other realities dismissed as "remainers" and "Project Fear" are now proving to be true.....it is unequivocal that Remain voters WERE more intelligent

Hmmm two cities in Cambridgeshire roughly the same size. Cambridge and Peterborough. The former voted 73% remain, the latter 60% to leave. Largest employment opportunities in Cambridge, the University and science and technology companies, largest in Peterborough, Amazon warehouse and others of that type. It's safe to say the average Cantabrigian is somewhat brighter and better educated than the average Peterboroughite though the influx of EU migrants has pushed up the IQ and educational attainment levels in the city. They didn't get a vote in the referendum though.

Hmmm a good example of prejudice and elitism.
I suppose by that rationale the large numbers of brighter and better educated EU migrants made the wiser choice to chose Peterborough over Cambridge.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

windmiller wrote:Hmmm a good example of prejudice and elitism.
I suppose by that rationale the large numbers of brighter and better educated EU migrants made the wiser choice to chose Peterborough over Cambridge.

The reason is more mundane I imagine.
Migrants with less than perfect language skills have to take what they can get work wise.
So the food "industry" or picking is often where they end up especially in fertile Peterborough.
But just because they do mundane jobs doesn't mean they are unintelligent.

Just look at me! :shock:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

You don't think Cambridge might just have more better educated and intelligent people than Peterborough. Methinks you know nowt about either place.

Yes they did make the wiser choice - easier to shine in comparison with the locals they're competing with in the jobs market.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

You don't think Cambridge might just have more better educated and intelligent people than Peterborough. Methinks you know nowt about either place.

Yes they did make the wiser choice - easier to shine in comparison with the locals they're competing with in the jobs market.

You don't know what I think about either place because you are not a mind reader, even if you imagine that you are. However you have made your contempt for the good folks of Peterborough plain enough to see, and your patronizing view of EU migrants is equally illuminating.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

It was commonly (and accurately) reported that university towns more likely voted Remain than towns. Of course however Peterborough has a campus of the Anglia Ruskin University in the city.

People who can move around in jobs (especially abroad) were bound to be more pro-EU and many lecturers or students would have been from Leave voting areas originally. But if you're not likely to or do not wish to move abroad then the benefits of the EU mean less to you. EU immigration may even have affected you adversely.

And the 'less educated' label is something to be wary of. Less educated does not mean people are not bright and clever or innovative in their jobs in a way an academic classicist could never hope to achieve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewee ... main%3famp