Social campaigns - what's the next one?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Social campaigns - what's the next one?

Post by Tangled Metal »

It seems to me that we're in the age of social campaigns / bandwagons possibly because of Twitter and other social media.

For example metoo took off and did a lot of good but it was a bandwagon that was cool to support and not cool to question.

Right now I think BLM is the new metoo type of campaign.

What could become the nex? Can we run out of things to pitch a bandwagon around?

I'm putting this idea out there for discussion. I'm not sure what I think about this but I'm sure others will have some good insights to share. Let's discuss!!
Mike Sales

Re: Social campaigns - what's the next one?

Post by Mike Sales »

You dismiss as bandwagons two attempts to right longstanding injustices.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The next bandwagon will be curbing discussions on social media,often involving people who have never met.The drive will be to reduce use of phones etc and a return to coffee house debates,as was case in Georgian times.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote:You dismiss as bandwagons two attempts to right longstanding injustices.

Exactly.

Scrape away the froth about social media and similar, uncover the real problem and then discuss it and try to address it.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mike Sales wrote:You dismiss as bandwagons two attempts to right longstanding injustices.

Not really I gave both views on that, "social campaigns / bandwagon" to cover a wider range of opinions. Take your pick which suits your opinion.

Personally I think a campaign can be both at the same time. Some are involved in a social campaign but others are quite possibly jumping on a bandwagon later to move on to other things? I don't really care which people are it's just that the mass of involvement often creates movement and change. Whether you're campaigner or bandwagon jumper doesn't matter because the head count often creates traction.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

But all that doesn't really cover the original disclaim point I made? That was, what will the next social issue be that gains traction? What is the next, big, global, socialn issue?

What do you think are the leading contenders? When will they hit the wider social conscience.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:But all that doesn't really cover the original disclaim point I made? That was, what will the next social issue be that gains traction? What is the next, big, global, socialn issue?

What do you think are the leading contenders? When will they hit the wider social conscience.

It would be good to make rather more progress with the first two named, especially racial injustice, which may be the most intractable.
If you want another, how about a wider understanding that migrants are desperate people seeking a better life who can be an asset to Britain, and not a horde of evil locusts?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do you think migrants could ever have the same widespread support as metoo and BLM had? Unfortunately there's a kind of "popularity contest" thing going on. Popular ones get the bigger support and even makes a change to society.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Just for a change I would like to see one that does not descend into hate and hypocrisy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Traffic law enforcement of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I might not like much of either XR or BLM. But always remember Pastor Martin Niemoller: " First they came for ... and finally they came for me but there was no-one else left to speak up for me"
John