Gears: are 3x setups extinct?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The utility cyclist

Re: Gears: are 3x setups extinct?

Post by The utility cyclist »

mikeymo wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
What FD do you use?

105/5703

Thanks. And presumably that copes with the 27 teeth range? It seems to be quite a long way outside Shimano's specifications.

Works fantastically well, the Miche did have a 30T but I fitted a steel 24, I recently acquired a 23T inner so I could have just that little bit lower :D
I first tried a small ring with a FD-4403 IIRC, Tiagra flat bar road derailleur, I also used a Shimano 6207 a few years back as part of an experiment whence I read about the model being able to be used for a triple set up. Can't recall the low ring but it shifted great.
On one bike I used a 400LX MTB front mech with 105 5603 triple shifters and it worked beautifully, that had 50/36/24.
Also the latest Tiagra FD 4703 works with a 50/36/24 as I've just done that a couple of weeks ago
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 8 Sep 2020, 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I picked up a nice 3x front derailleur from SJS for less them £12, the Sunrace model for use with a 48t triple. Fitted it works smoothly and better then the old worn XT model it replaced, for the budget price I'm chuffed with it.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mikeymo wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:105/5703

Thanks. And presumably that copes with the 27 teeth range? It seems to be quite a long way outside Shimano's specifications.

Works fantastically well, the Miche did have a 30T but I fitted a steel 24, I recently acquired a 23T inner so I could have just that little bit lower :D
I first tried a small ring with a FD-4403 IIRC, Tiagra flat bar road derailleur, I also used a Shimano 6207 a few years back as part of an experiment whence I read about the model being able to be used for a triple set up. Can't recall the low ring but it shifted great.
On one bike I used a 400LX MTB front mech with 105 5603 triple shifters and it worked beautifully, that had 50/36/24.
Also the latest Tiagra FD 4703 works with a 50/36/24 as I've just done that a couple of weeks ago

So Shimano's spec saying a capacity of 22 is just wrong then?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mikeymo wrote:...So Shimano's spec saying a capacity of 22 is just wrong then?

er, sort of. The actual capacity of the FD depends on lots of things including seat tube to chainstay angle, size of the cassette etc. So if you stick within shimano's specifications for those variables you will definitely get the 22t capacity, but you might get more than that. Also shimano sometimes don't bother with any claimed capacity if it might be in excess of what you might need if you run shimano parts. So if shimano intend you to use a FD with a chainset of 22T range, they might say '22T' for that reason even if the usual capacity is usually more than this. However you can understand why they do this; the exact amount of extra capacity is effectively unknown until you try it out, such is the way the other variables interact.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mikeymo wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

So Shimano's spec saying a capacity of 22 is just wrong then?

TBH I've never even looked at the capacity of a road front D, but if that's what they're saying then yes. they've always erred on the conservative side with both front and rear derailleurs from what I can see of many, many users over quite a few decades.

re the MTB front mech, I just checked and it was a 500LX, funny how these things seem to work out, I might buy another and see if it works with modern hidden cable triple STIs
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Brucey wrote:
mikeymo wrote:...So Shimano's spec saying a capacity of 22 is just wrong then?

er, sort of. The actual capacity of the FD depends on lots of things including seat tube to chainstay angle, size of the cassette etc. So if you stick within shimano's specifications for those variables you will definitely get the 22t capacity, but you might get more than that. Also shimano sometimes don't bother with any claimed capacity if it might be in excess of what you might need if you run shimano parts. So if shimano intend you to use a FD with a chainset of 22T range, they might say '22T' for that reason even if the usual capacity is usually more than this. However you can understand why they do this; the exact amount of extra capacity is effectively unknown until you try it out, such is the way the other variables interact.

cheers

Yes, a lot of the time the same derailleur gains capacity in their spec list when they release a new cassette or crank. Other times they don't, but they release a newer derailleur model, with the higher capacity, but this doesn't necessarily mean the old one is incapable....