Road Bike chainring comparability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Singinmgr

Road Bike chainring comparability

Post by Singinmgr »

I currently have FSA outer ring 50T/34 N10 & 34T N10 110BCD on a Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed.
Can I replace the chainrings with 52T/36 & 36T N11 110BCD. Thanks .
Tigerbiten

Re: Road Bike chainring comparability

Post by Tigerbiten »

So as long as they are 10 speed ring, I see no problem unless they have proprietary bolt hole spacing..
Each chainring will be 2mm bigger.
So you will have to move the front derailleur up 2mm to match, that's easy.
I cannot see the increased size of the inner ring catching on the chainstay, so no problem there.
But .......
How worn is the chain, if worn then it may be sensible to change that to stop the new chainrings wearing faster than needed.
If you've changed both chainrings and chain then how about the cassette.
So it may be more expensive than you think ........ :lol:

Luck ........ :D
Singinmgr

Post by Singinmgr »

Thanks for your response.
The N11 on the replacement rings suggests 11 speed? :shock: also I am replacing the chain as it is worn but the back sprockets look fine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Singinmgr wrote:... I am replacing the chain as it is worn but the back sprockets look fine.

If the chain is worn less than 0.5% then a new chain will usually run on the old sprockets. If the chain is worn between about 0.5% and 1% then you have some chance rather than none that the sprockets will work with a new chain. Past ~1% chain wear, the sprockets almost always won't work with a new chain.

The usual symptom of running a new chain with worn sprockets is that the chain 'skips' under load, when the most worn sprockets are used. The teeth on the most worn sprockets usually look somewhat hook-shaped when examined.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Singinmgr

Post by Singinmgr »

Thanks Brucey
Any comments on my original post about the chainring sizes. Cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

chainrings should be fine, mainly because they are a matched pair. The FD will need to be raised as noted above. However the new chainrings are 11s ones and there is a small difference between the width of 10s and 11s chain; if this causes the chain to catch on the 52T chainring when running small-small (which BTW you should avoid doing for other reasons) then spacing one chainring out by ~0.1mm might be an improvement. 0.1mm? It sounds mad but with narrow chains this sort of thing can make a difference.

Also look out for the chain length; the increase in length required (for the larger chainrings) to keep the RD similarly positioned is 0.5", but this isn't possible with a modern derailleur chain; you will either have a chain that is (relatively speaking) shorter than when it was new before (if worn now, this may mislead you), or longer.

The usual method for setting chain length is to ensure that you have enough chain to run big-big and change on and off the big sprocket without problems.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Singinmgr

Post by Singinmgr »

[quote][/quote] Thanks again Brucey