Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
whoof

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Post by whoof »

bluelagos wrote:Qnother 80 miles and got to Bath.

Frigging puncture too, sorted but took a while. Made it before dark, just :-)

At least it was a lovely evening and tomorrow looks nice as well. I'll be heading to Saul Junction, hopefully before 11.30 am for one of their breakfasts, perhaps we will cross paths.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well done keep it up!

Cheers James
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Mate had a puncture {FFE - family-friendly edit }. Anyhow, we did Bath to Hay on Wye, 76 miles and spanked the highest road in Wales, the Gospel pass :-)

Onto Oswestry tomorrow!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Made it to Oswestry. 2 more punctures for ridiing mate, the rural lanes in Wales are shocking surfaces some are cycle routes in unbeleivably poor conditions, genuinely dangerous descents on gravel strewn lanes. Had it been wet I would probably have bottled out, luckily it wasnt.

Onto Buxton tomorrow :-)
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

77 odd to Buxton, nice and flat until last few miles. Loved the descent from the Cat n Fiddle, proper TdF stuff :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That's a lovely route your taking.
Wish I had the time to take such a scenic route.
Next time!!

Cheers James
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Man, what a cr@p day.

Riding partner had a fall, hit his head and cracked hip. He is out, off home to Essex tomorrow then A&E for xray to check whether pelvis is broken or bruised.

Our route from Buxton to Skipton wasnt the 67 miles with 2k climbing I'd have done, we were 77 miles with 8k ascents. Part of the problem of an organised tour is you dont get to choose the route, length, ascents...

So after 11 hours riding my garmin ran out of juice and I was running out of sunlight. Not wise cycling on lanes with potholes and gravel at night so called it a night after 65 miles. Annoying as 65 with 7k+ is tougher than 67 with 2k.

Anyhow, am 12 miles short with a 9am start for tomorrows 80 miler. So have arrnaged a lift to do the missing 12 miles at 6.30 before breakie. Whether I can then manage the 12 plus the 80, fiik. But I will try...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sorry to hear that news hope the friend isn’t too badly injured. I can sympathise with your situation.
IMHO 8k of climbing does not belong in a LEJOG unless you’re all super fit cyclists just filling in time before riding the TdF. :lol:
At Skipton then your route is still going to be a bit lumpy. Good luck with today
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Yep, 8k was beyond me.

Today I got up for the extra 12 but the bike was locked away so couldnt even try :?

Anyhow, wouldnt have done it as only managed 73 of todays 80. Google maps has 67 cycling but as ever we opted for the high road and 6k climbing. Tbf I would have done it but was getting dark and no way am I riding on country lanes with pot holes, gravel with a basic light.

So no t-shirt but plodding on as am still on target to cycle over 1200 miles if I do all the days in full. And some silly total clmbs which Ill work out later.

Maybe a "didnt manage Lejog but did 60k feet' t-shirt :D

And my buddy has been to A&E and no break thankfully. Though he wont be cycling for a few weeks. Told me today he was going to start training for next year soon!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

What a differnce terrain makes.

First 40 from Wimndermere to Carlisle, 6 hours, climbs, poor surfaces, gates, sheep even horses.

Last 40 to Dumfries, flat and good surfaced lquiet a/b roads. 3.5 hours.

Tomorrow to Arran I think...
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

So much to learn!

So yesterday finished really strong. Today I had a smallish breakie (watery porridge, like half a fry up)

Miles 0 to 10, fine.
10 to 20 I badly bonked, proper fcked.
20 to 35 after coffee/cake was ok.

Running late for the ferry so got told to get a lift from 34 to,60.

In Ayr, geabbed sandwich, banana couple of drinks, flew the last 25 miles of the day.

Was utterly fcked at 10 am (statted at 8) and flying at 4pm.

And 2 minor tumbles messed up on a tight bend on a cycle track, shoukd have unclipped doh!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Doing a LEJOG is not the time to go on a diet. :lol:
Eat eat and eat some more :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

bluelagos wrote:So yesterday finished really strong. Today I had a smallish breakie (watery porridge, like half a fry up)

“Watery porridge” in Scotland, what has the world come to?
I am enjoying your very honest updates. I think your experiences have confirmed my thoughts that ‘organised Tours’ are not for me. I will be interested to learn your conclusion of organised tours once you conclude your adventure.
Best wishes for the remaining legs.....
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Best wishes from me too - I’m finishing on Friday. Only 55 miles away but logistics demand an in between stop.
Sounds like you’ve been having a tough time - hope the end goes well.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Organised tour not for me either!

I'd hate to be cut short.

Also who decided on the route stupid would-be my word for it!

Cheers James