Cyclist collides with baby

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Cyclist collides with baby

Post by mercalia »

Dramatic moment cyclist is confronted in London park after 'hitting and dragging girl, 1, before riding off' - as the child's furious mother claims she 'didn't even say sorry'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8717603/Dramatic-moment-cyclist-confronted-London-park-hitting-dragging-girl-1.html
flat tyre

Re: Cyclist collides with baby

Post by flat tyre »

Many years ago now I was taking my daughter for a walk in the local park in her pushchair and some youths playing football kicked a ball into the pushchair just above her head, I can't remember, however what the daily fail headline was in that instance.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Funny how it’s not "baby collides with Bicycle"
Just no consistency is there :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

flat tyre wrote:Many years ago now I was taking my daughter for a walk in the local park in her pushchair and some youths playing football kicked a ball into the pushchair just above her head, I can't remember, however what the daily fail headline was in that instance.

Are you saying the DM is making a fuss over nothing? I'd say any cyclist who rides into a small child is probably at fault, wouldn't you? Okay, in the grand scheme of things it is a small story, something to fill a column with. But it is reasonable to find fault with someone who can't see a child in their path.

(On a side note, this Forum is my only gateway into the output of the DM. Except for on these pages I generally get through my days without thinking "DM" at any point. Perhaps we ought to stop reading it.)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I think I would like to hear from both sides....

...interesting that the daily mail remains silent in regards to the number of child deaths caused each year through road collisions. But then it did support Adolf Hilter during his rise to power...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:
flat tyre wrote:Many years ago now I was taking my daughter for a walk in the local park in her pushchair and some youths playing football kicked a ball into the pushchair just above her head, I can't remember, however what the daily fail headline was in that instance.

Are you saying the DM is making a fuss over nothing? I'd say any cyclist who rides into a small child is probably at fault, wouldn't you? Okay, in the grand scheme of things it is a small story, something to fill a column with. But it is reasonable to find fault with someone who can't see a child in their path.

(On a side note, this Forum is my only gateway into the output of the DM. Except for on these pages I generally get through my days without thinking "DM" at any point. Perhaps we ought to stop reading it.)

well the Daily Mail app for mobiles is one of the best I have used. So they do care about some thing
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

pwa wrote:(On a side note, this Forum is my only gateway into the output of the DM. Except for on these pages I generally get through my days without thinking "DM" at any point. Perhaps we ought to stop reading it.)

Yes, I'm the same. I wouldn't even know that the Daily Mail (sorry "Daily Fail", ho-ho-ho) even existed except that lefty feminist vegetarian do-gooder Guardian readers (is that enough stereotype labelling?) keep complaining about it. There's a bit of the "Streisand effect" about the many complaints about the Daily Mail.

If I decide to look at whatever article is being mentioned I rarely get to the end of it. Nothing to do with the quality of the journalism or subject matter, but my computer grinds to a halt with the thousands of pop-up adverts. It's the pretty much one of the worst websites I've ever seen.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

cycle tramp wrote:I think I would like to hear from both sides....

...interesting that the daily mail remains silent in regards to the number of child deaths caused each year through road collisions. But then it did support Adolf Hilter during his rise to power...

Godwin fails again.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Can we change the headline as there's no actual evidence of this being the case in terms of fault apart from a parents rant and a rags incitement, in fact it could be considered libelous
Someone mentioned elsewhere that the babies arm was in the spokes, ergo the child advanced from the side of the cyclist who rather than speeding was going at 10mph. And rather than cycling off was in fact at the scene talking to a police officer.
With a parent who likely lost control of their child and a one sided story it's clickbait BS from a rag not fit to wipe your arris with!
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 11 Sep 2020, 1:50am, edited 1 time in total.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pwa wrote:

What evidence do you have that the cyclist rode into the child other than one persons account? You're finding fault and don't know the whole story, I'd hate for you to be on a jury! :x
pwa

Post by pwa »

The utility cyclist wrote:
pwa wrote:

What evidence do you have that the cyclist rode into the child other than one persons account? You're finding fault and don't know the whole story, I'd hate for you to be on a jury! :x

I'm just taking the story at face value, so yes that might not have been a full and accurate account of what happened. The account given is full of holes and one sided. But I did fail to think of a likely scenario in which the parent would totally invent the collision, or in which a collision could have happened without the cyclist having some responsibility. We try to stay clear of toddlers don't we?

I base my views on the evidence I have at the moment, which includes the ranty nature of the parent. If I were on a jury I would start from scratch and hopefully get a more rounded and reliable picture.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Dangerously out of control toddler, should be put in kennels and muzzled and kept on a lead and mum prosecuted and fined and made to do community service. Next the brat might bite someone. Put it down just in case.
Oops I thought it was a dog. No double standards in English law are there.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
well the Daily Mail app for mobiles is one of the best I have used...

I think your definition of best may differ from mine...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I began to watch the vid but it's just a loud-mouthed saloon bar lawyer making it up as he goes along....

On the more general subject of people panicking after crashes, shouting bystanders are no encouragement to stay.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

The child is the most vulnerable road/path user here so it is the responsibility of the cyclist to avoid collision.

In the spirit of presumed liability we need to be on the side of the most vulnerable until otherwise proved beyond doubt by the more powerful road user. Remember the new hierarchy; Pedestrian -> Cyclist -> Car -> Lorry, and I would put 'toddler' in front of pedestrian.

As for the prize one pillock filming the video and smugly claiming he was saving her from a jail sentence.....