Wahoo to strava: Heart Rate Monitor

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mike_GMT80

Wahoo to strava: Heart Rate Monitor

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Hi,

Am thinking of getting a HRM, a Bluetooth enabled chest strap one, that I would have to record my rides in Wahoo and then sync with Strava. Does anyone know whether going down this route there is any loss in data compared to if the ride had been recorded directly in strava? I’ve signed up for the free one month trial in strava and quite like all the training analysis and extra data that comes with the premium subscription...so wouldn’t want any of this to be lost if I go down the wahoo to strava route.

Thanks
Mike

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ElCani

Re: Wahoo to strava: Heart Rate Monitor

Post by ElCani »

Nope, no data loss.
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Cool, thanks.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Navara

Post by Navara »

Mike_GMT80 wrote:Hi,
Am thinking of getting a HRM, a Bluetooth enabled chest strap one, that I would have to record my rides in Wahoo and then sync with Strava. Does anyone know whether going down this route there is any loss in data compared to if the ride had been recorded directly in strava? I’ve signed up for the free one month trial in strava and quite like all the training analysis and extra data that comes with the premium subscription...so wouldn’t want any of this to be lost if I go down the wahoo to strava route.
Thanks
Mike

I'm confused by what "directly to Strava" means?
Do you currently upload from Wahoo to Strava or are you using the Strava App on your phone?
Adding sensors to a Wahoo/Garmin gives you more data not less or loss of when synced with Strava :)
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Navara wrote:
Thanks
Mike

Do you currently upload from Wahoo to Strava or are you using the Strava App on your phone?
Adding sensors to a Wahoo/Garmin gives you more data not less or loss of when synced with Strava :)

I said “directly IN strava”...not TO strava.

I currently record rides in strava app. Am checking that recording in wahoo and then syncing with strava will not result In any loss of data. IE I do not want to be worse off than if I had recorded directly IN strava.

Navara

Post by Navara »

Mike_GMT80 wrote:
Navara wrote:
Thanks
Mike

I said “directly IN strava”...not TO strava.
I currently record rides in strava app. Am checking that recording in wahoo and then syncing with strava will not result In any loss of data. IE I do not want to be worse off than if I had recorded directly IN strava.

So you mean you're using the Strava App on your phone currently?
If so you don't need to if you have a Wahoo.You won't lose any data.It will sync automatically when you get home assuming you have Wahoo allowed on Strava and a Wi-fi connection.

I have used either Garmin or Wahoo for the last 6 years or so and never lost any data.That's assuming you keep the sensor batteries in good order.They last a couple of years(or the cadence sensors do at least) but I check periodically.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The only data that gets ‘lost’ transferring between systems is things like dynamic running data and Di2 gear shift data.
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

I’ve ordered a heart rate monitor from decathlon, arrives Monday so will see how I get on. Will record in wahoo for this afternoons ride and check the data in strava once sync’d. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Mike
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

I’m fairly sure that Strava has removed support for heart rate monitors when recording rides through the app. So pairing your HRM with your head unit will enable you to record more data, not less.
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Been using wahoo to strava for a couple of rides and all good. Got the heart rate monitor yesterday and have only had time for a very brief cycle but no issues with data transfer to strava, and having all the HR data is great. Will be better when I’ve built up at least a few weeks worth of rides so can see the relative fitness and trend in improvement levels.

gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit I no longer use a HRM monitor on the bike (NB. Suppose it stopped when I pretty much swapped from high speed road biking to moderate speed long rides.

But still use a HRM as a matter of routine in other exercise. And have slowly realized that I'm still basing my heart rate on that required twenty years ago! In short, I routinely work out at 90% max heart rate, occasionally pushing it to 94-95%. Can't say it's ever caused a problem, but wondering how others work out their max heart (Nb. I do the standard 220-age/ calculation). The thought of only working out at 85% max heart seems a bit absurd!
Navara

Post by Navara »

gbnz wrote:Have to admit I no longer use a HRM monitor on the bike (NB. Suppose it stopped when I pretty much swapped from high speed road biking to moderate speed long rides.
But still use a HRM as a matter of routine in other exercise. And have slowly realized that I'm still basing my heart rate on that required twenty years ago! In short, I routinely work out at 90% max heart rate, occasionally pushing it to 94-95%. Can't say it's ever caused a problem, but wondering how others work out their max heart (Nb. I do the standard 220-age/ calculation). The thought of only working out at 85% max heart seems a bit absurd!

I used the same basic calculation but when riding at 80-85% of max it felt like I wasn't really working.I have a Garmin watch which tells me that I'm averaging 125-138bpm maxing out at 170bpm when riding.Even on long,steep climbs I can chat away to my mate so I'm not convinced on the accuracy of these devises!My Garmin watch says my average resting HR is 52bpm.I got the same average from my old Fitbit.According to the tables 50-55 bpm resting for a mid-50s male is very good.
I take the readings with a pinch of salt but they are consistent.