PROMS-BBC disappoint

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: PROMS-BBC disappoint

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:I am surprised at the faith some here have in the truthfulness of politicians, think that it is only Johnson and co that are liars.

Please could you link to any post in this thread that says or implies that it's "only Johnson and co that are liars".

Thanks

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have been voting for various governments for half a century (my lot has never been successful!). I have seen competed but policies which I don't like and policies I endorsr but incompetent ministers. I have seen corrupt ministers from time to time and heard plenty of half truths, exaggeration and occasional downright lies.

This lot, though, is in a different league. They seem to me to be entirely corrupt (every major contract in last six months has been without proper process and many gone to Cummings' friends) and thoroughly incompetent. Appointments of friends or spouses have been made to senior jobs without process. Permanent Secretary after PS has resigned; law officers have quit over this. Never before Johnson and May has a government been found in contempt - or prorogued Parliament illegally.. Never before has a senior civil servant been in current post and been in contempt.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
They disagree with Cummings whose paws can be seen clearly in all of this. And we can guess what he thinks of the old guard

Right, so nigh on every public figure worldwide is holding these opinions purely because of personal animus to Cummings? I'm not sure you've thought this through.

Thats a big claim and I am suprised you think that people really say what they really mean, in politics, but when it comes to the crunch......
your in red not mine

Sure they were your opinions, if not exact words.

According to you the reason was

"They disagree with Cummings"
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote:I have been voting for various governments for half a century (my lot has never been successful!). I have seen competed but policies which I don't like and policies I endorsr but incompetent ministers. I have seen corrupt ministers from time to time and heard plenty of half truths, exaggeration and occasional downright lies.

This lot, though, is in a different league. They seem to me to be entirely corrupt (every major contract in last six months has been without proper process and many gone to Cummings' friends) and thoroughly incompetent. Appointments of friends or spouses have been made to senior jobs without process. Permanent Secretary after PS has resigned; law officers have quit over this. Never before Johnson and May has a government been found in contempt - or prorogued Parliament illegally.. Never before has a senior civil servant been in current post and been in contempt.

SNP's Ian Blackford described the Govt. (in the Commons) as a "parcel of rogues"!
Quite so.

This mess is gonna come and haunt them for years to come methinks.
I resent being associated by nationality to such disregard for international relations.
The petard awaits.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PDQ Mobile wrote:SNP's Ian Blackford described the Govt. (in the Commons) as a "parcel of rogues"!
Quite so.

He borrowed that line from Robert Burns.
About the union with England.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English stell we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mike Sales wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:SNP's Ian Blackford described the Govt. (in the Commons) as a "parcel of rogues"!
Quite so.

He borrowed that line from Robert Burns.
About the union with England.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English stell we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

Ah such a wide knowledge.
It was poetry to my ears for sure!
And the rolled "r"s gave it something extra I thought.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Could the above be sung to tune of Land of Hope?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Meanwhile, we have a government which reckons it can do by the end of the year 10,000,000 tests a day (I have to travel 140 mile round trip next week for a test prior to getting major surgery 140 round trip the other way) but didn't understand the deal it was signing.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mumbojumbo wrote:Could the above be sung to tune of Land of Hope?

Oooh one song to the tune of another a la "I'm sorry I haven't a Clue"!

I could think of better, more suitable, contenders though.

"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"?
Or the " banana boat song" maybe?

Though perhaps Delihla more apt?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:I have to travel 140 mile round trip next week for a test prior to getting major surgery 140 round trip the other way...

I blame the EU.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:Could the above be sung to tune of Land of Hope?

Oooh one song to the tune of another a la "I'm sorry I haven't a Clue"!

Where's Rob Brydon when he's needed?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I have to travel 140 mile round trip next week for a test prior to getting major surgery 140 round trip the other way...

I blame the EU.

Jonathan

Of course. Never thought of that. Silly me.

But just think. December 2019 Johnson would have withdrawn the whip from September 2020 Johnson.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so now you cant say hmmm or you know those filler words? esp if you are chinese

Investigation into US professor sparks debate over Chinese word

Professor Greg Patton at the University of Southern California (USC) was telling students in a communications lecture last month about filler, or pause words, such as 'err', 'umm' or 'you know' in English.

Footage of his lecture, which has now gone viral, shows Prof Patton saying: "In China, the common pause word is 'that, that, that'. So in China, it might be na-ge, na-ge, na-ge."

Enunciated, na-ge sounds like the N-word, which led several of the professor's students to complain to the university. Responding to the complaint, the dean of the university, Geoffrey Garrett, told students that Prof Patton would no longer be teaching the course. "It is simply unacceptable for the faculty to use words in class that can marginalize, hurt and harm the psychological safety of our students," he said.

where is this going to stop? :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-54107329
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, the word for words used to to fill gaps is "expletive."