The whole glasses thing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tatanab

Re: The whole glasses thing

Post by tatanab »

Photochromatic are not a problem. I've been using them for 15 years and more. Absolutely clear after dark, and on a winter's day they darken a little to the outside observer but are perfectly for the user. Caveat - mine are from Optilabs and meant for cycling. Perhaps the horror stories are from lens brands for more general purposes. One thing - they are no good for driving in because the UV is blocked by the glass wndscreen and so they do not darken.

Optical inserts that clip into frames like Oakley, Bolle etc - I used them 25 years ago and recall a problem that it gives you yet another another surface to mist up, so they do not clear anything like as quickly as prescription specs.

Edit - the dislike for frames is possibly because glasses are new to you and it is "common sense" that the frames must restrict peripheral vision rather than experience. How about trying a few frames, in shops or borrowed from friends to see just how much/little the impediment is.
Last edited by tatanab on 12 Sep 2020, 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

brucelee wrote: Does the fitting of the internal lens create a break in continuity like inserts do....

It of course must do; the prescription won't cover your whole FOV and will either magnify or demagnify objects viewed through the lens which means that you will either have a gap in the FOV at the lens edge or there will be part of the FOV that overlaps i.e. that you will 'see twice', once in focus through the lens and second not in focus in your peripheral vision. The extent of the gap/overlap will depend on the way the thing is put together and the nature/strength of the prescription.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

brucelee wrote:I'm not prepared to sacrifice my peripheral vision with either frames or inserts

What evidence do you have that frames will have a significant impact on your peripheral vision? Has anyone who uses Optilabs glasses said that they found the frames significantly impeded peripheral vision?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

slowster wrote:
brucelee wrote:I'm not prepared to sacrifice my peripheral vision with either frames or inserts

What evidence do you have that frames will have a significant impact on your peripheral vision? Has anyone who uses Optilabs glasses said that they found the frames significantly impeded peripheral vision?

Same "evidence" as for contact lenses, probably.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I'm a full time spec wearer but I don't cycle with glasses for the following reasons:
1. I sweat so profusely that I glasses get fitted to useless
2. I'm lucky that my distance script is mild (I mainly need my specs for reading and computers and I use varifocals)
3. I've never had issues with stuff in my eyes
4. I tried with contact lenses but couldn't get them in and out - obviously others can manage but I couldn't
5. Breaking them is really a big deal for inconvenience and cost

So I'd ask yourself whether you could manage without glasses (you say you are a recent wearer which could mean that your script is mild)?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

531colin wrote:
brucelee wrote:..... A couple of horror stories have put me off contacts........

I have cycled for maybe 35 years with glasses and maybe 20 with lenses; I won't go back to glasses unless I really have to.
Its obviously your choice whether or not you even give lenses a try, I think if you don't it will be your loss.
What were these "horror stories"? Its readily possible that the contributors who actually use lenses can put the stories into perspective.

As I said earlier, I've had them dry out and stick to the eyes, I've had them blow out of my eyes and worst of all I've had them blow into the back of the eye socket (or to be more accurate :D far enough back under the eyelid to be very difficult to retrieve - one of my friends lost a lens for 6 months like this and was oblivious that this was where it was until it popped out again).

However, these were soft, daily contact lenses, circa early noughties, so things may have improved.

I do recall, however that the suppression of the blinking reflex (required to put my lenses in my eye) sometimes meant that I didn't blink when objects flew towards my eye when cycling. But that might just be me.

Also, when cycling at speed in heavy rain, raindrops hitting an unprotected eye hurts :(

I do agree that if I could cycle with lenses I'd do so, I miss the uncluttered vision.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

brucelee wrote:Thanks for your responses everybody. A couple of horror stories have put me off contacts. Also, I'm not prepared to sacrifice my peripheral vision with either frames or inserts, so nothing on Optilabs will fit the bill. http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk have some stuff so my current manufacturer list is Oakley, bolle, rudy. Can anyone add to this ? The other thing is I saw a guy's video of his oakleys and it said that the lens was stuck to the inside of the regular sunglasses and there looked to be a pretty big chunk of plastic in there. Peripheral vision issues there again ? Anybody got a pair like the oakley flak with the lens fitted they could post a photo of. Does the fitting of the internal lens create a break in continuity like inserts do. Also a little concerned about the photochromatic/reactolite comments and winter cycling. The plan was to try and get away with just one pair for winter and summer. Are all of these photosensitive glasses like this ?
Cheers,
Bruce.

I had Oakley prescription glasses for a few years but they are fearsomely expensive, and after they get scratched etc. they will be worse than something much cheaper

I had separate sunglasses and clear, the clear in a metal frame which was rubbish compared to the plastic sunglasses.

Didn't fog up when wearing but sometimes would put sunglasses on top of my head when cycling up hill and they would then be fogged up

Replaced with some Glasses Direct ones, which were rubbish quality and not recommended.

Optilabs sound interesting in that as mentioned Oakley too expensive for something with a relatively short life expectancy and cheaper ones rubbish.

Photochromatic I haven't tried but i frequently cycle out in daylight and come back in dark so they don't seem like a bad idea. Main down side seems to be they look a bit daft in formal settings some times, but doesnt matter with cycling glasses
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Stradageek, your experience is different to mine.
When I started with contact lenses, my blink reflex was suppressed by decades of spectacle wearing, so I had to wear safety glasses until the reflex returned.
My modern monthly lenses are better in every way than even modern daily lenses. (That must be an aspect of marketing. There is so little material in a contact lens that it would surely be cheaper to manufacture just one sort; but then you can't charge a premium for the better lens.)
I'm pretty sure you can get a free trial of contact lenses, I wonder why you don't give the modern ones a go.
But, like the OP, if you choose to dismiss contacts without giving it a fair go, thats your loss, not mine.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

brucelee wrote:Thanks for your responses everybody. A couple of horror stories have put me off contacts. Also, I'm not prepared to sacrifice my peripheral vision with either frames or inserts, so nothing on Optilabs will fit the bill. http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk have some stuff so my current manufacturer list is Oakley, bolle, rudy. Can anyone add to this ? The other thing is I saw a guy's video of his oakleys and it said that the lens was stuck to the inside of the regular sunglasses and there looked to be a pretty big chunk of plastic in there. Peripheral vision issues there again ? Anybody got a pair like the oakley flak with the lens fitted they could post a photo of. Does the fitting of the internal lens create a break in continuity like inserts do. Also a little concerned about the photochromatic/reactolite comments and winter cycling. The plan was to try and get away with just one pair for winter and summer. Are all of these photosensitive glasses like this ?
Cheers,
Bruce.

Your list seems fine.

The lenses in my Oakley's are continuous (as they should be) over the whole area. Looking very carefully, you can tell they are prescription (thicker at edges of frame), but you've got to look carefully.
But, lens thickness is a function of your prescription; more extreme prescriptions mean thicker lenses. There are different lens materials (often called "thin/light" lenses) which will reduce the thickness; I have those in my regular every day glasses which makes them considerably lighter than normal lenses.

Pictures below concentrate on the thicker side of my corrections, which are for short-sightedness (ie, can't focus on distance without correction)

IMG_20200913_100814959.jpg

IMG_20200913_100821682.jpg

In terms of life-expectancy, depends what you do with the glasses and how you treat them. My Oakley's are approaching 10 years now. There is some slight crazing/cracking in the edge of the lens coating, but it doesn't affect vision, not even giving any flare in very bright light. Used for skiing, cycling and hill walking. Often carried in a rucksac or my bike handlebar bag. But, I'm careful, they are carried in soft bag inside a semi-hard case, they are cleaned carefully (not any old snotty grit covered rag). I don't "wear" them in my hair on top of my head. If you're not careful, rub grit on them, etc.. then lenses scratch even with the best anti-scratch coatings !

I've ended up with two sets (the cheaper ones from local optician, about Opti-lab standard), to cover "sunny" and "overcast" weather.

- Nigel
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:I normally wear varifocals, with fairly large frames, but when cycling I use plain distance glasses which I find easier when looking behind etc.- [...]
With any normal specs expect to find that if you are hutrling down a steep hill at over 35mph the wind will get behind the lens and wip the water from your eyes! Otherwise mine give good protection from insects.

That's basically my approach: plain distance glasses, large frames, plus single bridge, on-frame nose pads. They call them aviators now because that's cool and cowboys aren't:
https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/ma ... u=21044892

It's been OK to 30mph. I don't remember when I last did 35 ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Brucey wrote:It of course must do; the prescription won't cover your whole FOV and will either magnify or demagnify objects viewed through the lens
Two issues here, one fundamental and one case specific :
1) I suggest that the QUALITY of information in the peripheral vision does not need to be high - low density of receptors in the peripheral portion of the retina. But the VALUE of the peripheral information is very high because we need too see (or perhaps perceive would be a better word) what's coming. So a bit of blur, gap or overlap might be OK (not so sure about the gap....). This would be preferable to an actual block caused by the frame.
2) Pretty sure my prescriptions going to be mild (really looking for pebbles on decents ) - so probably thin lenses, mitigating these issues.
slowster wrote:

Just a guess, from my experience of sunglasses with frames - I'll try some of that type to determine if this is valid or not for me.

Just on the contact lenses - is this some thing I could just try out for a bit, are the disposable ones the sort of thing one can just buy a small packet of once a prescription has been determined to decide if they suit ?

fatboy wrote:3. I've never had issues with stuff in my eyes

You must be lucky, I only take them off for climbs, otherwise I know I'll catch a gnat.
Nigel wrote:The lenses in my Oakley's are continuous (as they should be) over the whole area.

Thanks for taking the time to do some photos. Good to know that the lens covers the entire area. I'm specifically looking with the ones without any rim material at the sides because of the peripheral vision issue. Anyone got a pair of these they could photograph ?
Cheers.
Bruce.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm using these (i826). As suggested, took a bit of getting used to but am now delighted.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Peripheral vision - just in from 35 mixed roads miles with my Optilab Deltas during which I specifically tried to find any issues. Even at home, because the lenses are curved the frames are at the very limit of peripheral vision and I can barely make out the fuzzy shape if I try hard. it is very different to having flatter sunglasses for posing on the beach. Seriously - get a set of sample frames from Optilabs to try out, no purchase necessary. https://www.optilabs.com/optilabs-sample-frame-service/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

brucelee wrote:1) I suggest that the QUALITY of information in the peripheral vision does not need to be high - low density of receptors in the peripheral portion of the retina. But the VALUE of the peripheral information is very high because we need too see (or perhaps perceive would be a better word) what's coming. So a bit of blur, gap or overlap might be OK (not so sure about the gap....). This would be preferable to an actual block caused by the frame.
Just on the contact lenses - is this some thing I could just try out for a bit, are the disposable ones the sort of thing one can just buy a small packet of once a prescription has been determined to decide if they suit ?.............

Google "free contact lens trial" .I got a whole list of spectacle retailers. For the record, I found Specsavers excellent for contact lenses as well as cheap for regular glasses. That would be my approach...get a sight test, buy some cheap ordinary glasses, get a free contact lens trial and see how you get on. In any case they will start you on daily disposables, which aren't as good as monthlies in my experience. They will show you how to put the lenses in and out. You may find you do not need "cycle-specific" glasses at all.

Peripheral and central vision are really quite different. Central vision evolved to detect what we are hunting, so its in colour and detailed. Peripheral vision evolved to detect what is hunting us, so your brain is wired to detect movement in peripheral vision; it also works in low light levels better than central vision, although you have to learn to use it.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I have had Briko sports glass sunglasses with a prescription clip-in insert, prescription Optilabs photochromic sports glasses and prescription Oakley M Frames.

The only ones I found problematic with poor peripheral vision were the Briko glasses with the clip-in insert, and my experience of failing to spot a car behind me when I did a quick shoulder check alarmed me so much that I was prepared as a result to pay the higher cost of the Optilabs glasses and later the M Frames. I found there was no such problem with full frame glasses providing they are a wrap around sports style with curved lens, which includes many of the Optilabs designs.

The non-full frame Oakley sports glasses have the central part of the lens cut out to allow a prescription insert to be glued in (as per the photograph below). The peripheral vision they provide is not noticeably better or worse than full frame sports glasses. I think you will find that those prescription Oakleys are the ones that cost circa £500, and that the full frame Oakleys are less expensive.

If you absolutely want the best peripheral vision possible, even if the actual benefit in practice is likely to be marginal compared with the best of the various Optilabs and Oakley offerings, then get contact lenses.