Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Post by mumbojumbo »

There is a lot of hot air espoused by die-hard libertatarians,the sort who plead freedom and then moan about workers forming unions,taking industrial actiion and other activities considered iliberal.I think they have a point about Christmas.It will SPOIL Cheristmas,and here uis why

1.we will be unable toi have our neighbours,the Sowerby-Frosts to dinner,to apologise for playing music cloud,as we have three sons to the table
2.carol-singing sucks with five singers
3.there will be no communion
4.all the pubs will be less crowded on Xmas Eve,meaning places to sit
5.queueing longer in shops to buy sprouts which may even sekl out.
Will you still manage a great time?
mercalia

Re: Gang of six-impact on Xmas

Post by mercalia »

When I saw the expression I thought it was a new Sherlock Holmes story to look out for.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’ll have an even better time. I absolutely hate large groups of people.

Even 6 is too much but it’s a step in the right direction for me.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Scrooge rules. Bah Humbug. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Farming Today this morning were interviewing a turkey farmer.
Seems like the larger birds won't be bought, so they are concentrating on smaller ones. Even then, they don't know how many (or few) they'll sell.

I can't stand turkey. Too big, too much meat, too "American", and still eating the damned thing into the new year! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

I have conducted a head count. Me, Mrs Si, cat 1, cat 2. Looks like a normal Christmas then. Maybe a bit less traffic on the roads for my Christmas morning ride?

TBH, I think that a lot of people might actually enjoy a smaller Christmas without all the hassle of buying so much food, all the cooking, the relatives fighting....stress , stress , stress
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:I have conducted a head count. Me, Mrs Si, cat 1, cat 2. Looks like a normal Christmas then. Maybe a bit less traffic on the roads for my Christmas morning ride?

TBH, I think that a lot of people might actually enjoy a smaller Christmas without all the hassle of buying so much food, all the cooking, the relatives fighting....stress , stress , stress

yes good idea, just a family xmas.
Navara

Post by Navara »

Same as usual here.
Me,Mrs Nav,2 offspring and pooch.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Our normal Christmas extends to seven - I suspect we’ll either do it anyway (no practical difference between one person from the household visiting us and all of them) or we won’t on the basis that we still haven’t had anyone else in the house since early March - and may continue to isolate.

The second wave is starting, and I am having to work out what criteria would cause me to leave the family here and go and shield at me parents...

What will happen is that people will have a series of groups and therefore manage even more commercialmass dinners and infection risks.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Our basic family is;
6 ...
Then there is 2 mothers of the children who we have to visit separately once a week ...
7 ...
Saturday mornings, 2 Grandparents visit ...
8 ...
Sunday mornings, 2 grand parents visit ...
8 ...

Once a month ... in sun or storm there is a barbecue ... all year round ...

12 ...

And it will continue whatever a pathetic, pointless, prime minister says ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thats right-keep doing what is right for your fanily,and ignore advice of others.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Put yourself it the village of Eyam back in the days of the plague? Just try and envisage the outcome if everyone chose to say stuff you when asked to try and avoid perpetuating the existence of the threat to our very existence?
We'e not being asked to cut ourselves off into certain death, just to participate in a collective action to eradicate this virus. Cut out th self, self, self attitude! Otherwise some families will find themselves taking delivery of a less than welcome kind of Christmas Box! Let's put a lid on the virus instead of the coffin. MM
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mumbojumbo wrote:Thats right-keep doing what is right for your fanily,and ignore advice of others.

No - keep to the spirit of the legislation...

Two households could be anywhere from 2 to 12 people fairly easily, and there is no practical difference between two households and two differently sized households.

But “do as you please” is what will cause the virus to spread rapidly, and that *will* kill many more people.

That’s why it’s not just irresponsible, but criminal.

Taking your logic further - why should I bother driving at 30, I can safely negotiate the road through town at 60....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:Thats right-keep doing what is right for your fanily,and ignore advice of others.

No - keep to the spirit of the legislation...

Two households could be anywhere from 2 to 12 people fairly easily, and there is no practical difference between two households and two differently sized households.

But “do as you please” is what will cause the virus to spread rapidly, and that *will* kill many more people.

That’s why it’s not just irresponsible, but criminal.

Taking your logic further - why should I bother driving at 30, I can safely negotiate the road through town at 60....

I think mumbojumbo might be being ironic.
John
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And when Boris tells you to sacrifice your first born child to save us from C-19, after all thats what the science says, you sheeple will do it ..... No doubt your signing up as Covid Marshalls as i type ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.