The whole glasses thing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robc02
Posts: 1740
Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 7:12pm
Location: Stafford

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby robc02 » 13 Sep 2020, 3:40pm

I looked into wearing contact lenses some years ago. My optician told me that for cycling I would still need to wear an eyeshield of some kind to prevent insects and dust getting onto or behind the lens, so I decided to make that eyeshield one with prescription lenses.

Prior to that I had tried using my normal everyday specs for cycling but found them unsatisfactory for a number of reasons so usually ended up taking them off - fortunately my prescription is mild so, while not ideal, I can manage without. However, at certain times of the year there are lots of insects around here and I was getting frequent infections as a result of them getting into my eyes, so I was inclined to believe what my optician had said about wearing eyeshields, whether prescription or plain over contacts.

Initially I used an Optilabs frame, them later a Rudy Project one (Ekynox - no longer available). Both have a pronounced wrap around , though the Rudy Projects fit my smallish head much better than Optilabls and also sit high enough on my nose that the top of the frame doesn't obscure my vision. I have worn the latter near enough every day for well over 10 years with only one repair (a replacement arm) needed, so very good value overall.

brucelee
Posts: 191
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 10:39am

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby brucelee » 13 Sep 2020, 6:08pm

Went out for a ride today and paid a little more attention to why I formed the view that frames were bad. I had been wearing the cheap LIDL £2.99 for 3 interchangeable lenses and a pouch thing for ages :
IMG_20200913_174249.jpg
These were fine but not in stock when I broke my current pair and I replaced them with some I picked up on aliexpress to see if bigger glasses would reduce wind into the eyes :
IMG_20200913_174326.jpg
(This is why there are fashion police)
When wearing the err 'orange ones', a found difficulty when checking over my shoulder and then assumed that this would be an inevitable by-product of having a frame and that that was why the effort had been made to produce glasses without. This is in question now so I'll go out next week and just try a load of sun glasses, get the prescription sorted, and get some free contact lenses.
tatanab wrote:Seriously - get a set of sample frames from Optilabs to try out, no purchase necessary. https://www.optilabs.com/optilabs-sample-frame-service/
I'll try this too.
Cheers,
Bruce.

Ray
Posts: 972
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 11:10am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Ray » 13 Sep 2020, 9:58pm

My distance vision is fine, but I need correction to be able to read. I use these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-iri-s- ... on-2/7681f

Absolutely excellent, and at £11 damaging or losing them is not a big worry. Don't make me look like a welder, either :wink:
Image Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 21.57.40.png
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

Stradageek
Posts: 812
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Stradageek » 13 Sep 2020, 10:31pm

531colin wrote:Stradageek, your experience is different to mine.
I'm pretty sure you can get a free trial of contact lenses, I wonder why you don't give the modern ones a go.
But, like the OP, if you choose to dismiss contacts without giving it a fair go, thats your loss, not mine.

I'm into varifocal glasses now, which compounded by a reluctant tear duct (one very dry eye) means contact lenses are no longer a comfortable or useable option

rmurphy195
Posts: 1897
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby rmurphy195 » 13 Sep 2020, 10:35pm

mjr wrote:
It's been OK to 30mph. I don't remember when I last did 35 ;)


Down a steep hill of course :D
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Jdsk
Posts: 3839
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Jdsk » 13 Sep 2020, 10:39pm

Stradageek wrote:I'm into varifocal glasses now, which compounded by a reluctant tear duct (one very dry eye) means contact lenses are no longer a comfortable or useable option

Tear ducts take tears away from the eye, and blockage typically causes a watery rather than a dry eye.

Is your problem with a tear gland?

Jonathan

Jdsk
Posts: 3839
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Jdsk » 13 Sep 2020, 10:42pm

Ray wrote:My distance vision is fine, but I need correction to be able to read. I use these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-iri-s- ... on-2/7681f

Absolutely excellent, and at £11 damaging or losing them is not a big worry.

Thanks for that.

I use Bolle safety glasses from Screwfix for cycling but I hadn't spotted these. They could be very useful in the workshop.

Jonathan

cyclop
Posts: 428
Joined: 3 Oct 2013, 7:49am

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby cyclop » 14 Sep 2020, 8:23am

TrevA wrote: That was £550 up the Swanny!

Excuse me!!£ 550!!!! for glasses,made of what exactly?

pete75
Posts: 13416
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby pete75 » 14 Sep 2020, 11:27am

Jdsk wrote:
Ray wrote:My distance vision is fine, but I need correction to be able to read. I use these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-iri-s- ... on-2/7681f

Absolutely excellent, and at £11 damaging or losing them is not a big worry.

Thanks for that.

I use Bolle safety glasses from Screwfix for cycling but I hadn't spotted these. They could be very useful in the workshop.

Jonathan


They are and I was wearing mine this morning when bleeding the brakes on a BMW R90S.

Stradageek
Posts: 812
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Stradageek » 14 Sep 2020, 12:22pm

Jdsk wrote:
Stradageek wrote:I'm into varifocal glasses now, which compounded by a reluctant tear duct (one very dry eye) means contact lenses are no longer a comfortable or useable option

Tear ducts take tears away from the eye, and blockage typically causes a watery rather than a dry eye.

Is your problem with a tear gland?

Jonathan

Correct, if a bit pedantic, you wouldn't credit that I have a degree in human physiology :?

thelawnet
Posts: 2609
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby thelawnet » 14 Sep 2020, 4:55pm

slowster wrote:I have had Briko sports glass sunglasses with a prescription clip-in insert, prescription Optilabs photochromic sports glasses and prescription Oakley M Frames.

The only ones I found problematic with poor peripheral vision were the Briko glasses with the clip-in insert, and my experience of failing to spot a car behind me when I did a quick shoulder check alarmed me so much that I was prepared as a result to pay the higher cost of the Optilabs glasses and later the M Frames. I found there was no such problem with full frame glasses providing they are a wrap around sports style with curved lens, which includes many of the Optilabs designs.

The non-full frame Oakley sports glasses have the central part of the lens cut out to allow a prescription insert to be glued in (as per the photograph below). The peripheral vision they provide is not noticeably better or worse than full frame sports glasses. I think you will find that those prescription Oakleys are the ones that cost circa £500, and that the full frame Oakleys are less expensive.


About £250-£290, plus £30 for the 'prizm' lenses which presumably if you are spending this much you will go for.

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2557
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby TrevA » 14 Sep 2020, 10:05pm

cyclop wrote:
TrevA wrote: That was £550 up the Swanny!

Excuse me!!£ 550!!!! for glasses,made of what exactly?


The replacements for the ones I broke were £550. There are Varifocals - not basic frames but not the most expensive either. I don’t think my prescription is particularly complex. This was from Boots Opticians. I’ve since become aware that this was a bit of a rip-off as my wife only paid just over £300 for hers, with a similar prescription, from the local opticians.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

cyclop
Posts: 428
Joined: 3 Oct 2013, 7:49am

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby cyclop » 15 Sep 2020, 6:53am

TrevA wrote:
cyclop wrote:
TrevA wrote: That was £550 up the Swanny!

Excuse me!!£ 550!!!! for glasses,made of what exactly?


The replacements for the ones I broke were £550. There are Varifocals - not basic frames but not the most expensive either. I don’t think my prescription is particularly complex. This was from Boots Opticians. I’ve since become aware that this was a bit of a rip-off as my wife only paid just over £300 for hers, with a similar prescription, from the local opticians.

Having been a competitive hill runner ,trailquest rider(involving reading maps under time pressure),now a fun,fitness and friendship rider with short sight and blind in the left eye,I tried the whole gamut of eyewear.Contact lenses,not for me after a traumatic experience on a hot,dry,windy day in a fellrace when the lens disappeared round the back of the eye after wiping sweat out the eyes.I,ve tried inserts which were ok but needed looking after.
I now use my prescription glasses,£80-100 ,with a cotton buff under the helmet to absorb sweat.Another trick was to smear some vaseline above the eyebrows,diagonally to channel sweat away from eyes.It,s all a compromise.

Brucey
Posts: 41397
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2020, 11:33am

cyclop wrote:...It's all a compromise....


ain't it just?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rogerzilla
Posts: 1538
Joined: 9 Jun 2008, 8:06pm

Re: The whole glasses thing

Postby rogerzilla » 15 Sep 2020, 12:05pm

I'm mildly longsighted following corneal grafts. I can ride with or without glasses. They are a liability in the rain so I avoid them then, and I don't usually bother in winter. They do keep the flies out of my eyes, though.

If you have a + prescription, either get glasses with inserts or "normal" looking glasses. Wraparound types give terrible distortion.