Which part of you hurts most on a LEJOG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50

Which part of you hurts most on a LEJOG?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

For me it’s my backside - I’m not saddle sore but every day now after about 50 miles my sit bones start to suffer and the saddle feels like it’s made of cast iron! It’s a Selle SMP. I guess I’ll just have to grit my teeth
bluelagos

Re: Which part of you hurts most on a LEJOG?

Post by bluelagos »

First few days was my legs and arms. Then it was just overall,fatigue and fingers.

Today (Day 7 for me) defo my buttock. Upped the pressure in my tyres from 80 to,100 and feeling it. My mate was on 60 and had 4 punctures in 3 days before we figured out his psi was too low...
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

A good saddle (Brooks B17)and sudocrem helped me.....
I found the most painful part was my wrists and hands....every few miles I shuck them out.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't remember anything hurting.

JOGLE 1994
LEJOG and Back 2006
Grand Tour of Scotland, England and Wales 1,500miles in 2008
JOGLE on a Raleigh Chopper in 2010 ...... though the saddle was a bit sweaty.

These days, riding 20miles+ my arms ache a bit, and my left hand needs to be lifted off the handlebar every now and again ....... but I'm on my way towards 70 years old.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

bluelagos wrote:First few days was my legs and arms. Then it was just overall,fatigue and fingers.

Today (Day 7 for me) defo my buttock. Upped the pressure in my tyres from 80 to,100 and feeling it. My mate was on 60 and had 4 punctures in 3 days before we figured out his psi was too low...

100psi sounds a bit high for 25mm tyres tbh??

I had a pinch so put them up to 80psi.

Hold the bars lightly and keep moving around.

Ride with hands just in front of the bars tdf style too.

Cheers James
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brianjeff50 wrote:For me it’s my backside - I’m not saddle sore but every day now after about 50 miles my sit bones start to suffer and the saddle feels like it’s made of cast iron! It’s a Selle SMP. I guess I’ll just have to grit my teeth

Try not keeping your false teeth in your shorts, certainly don't add grit to them.
PH

Post by PH »

The mornings after the third and forth day I could hardly walk and coming down stairs was painful, thighs just felt like solid wood. OK after the first couple of miles on the bike. Eased off after that and was fine with no other aches and pains for the rest of the trip.
On high mileage tours since then, I've made it a point to go for a walk in the evening, half an hour seems to be enough and the legs feel fine next day.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think my eye lids and ear drums had the most pain. An extremely long day getting down to Cornwall from Scotland. Then 4 days of constant traffic noise which went on all night ( drivers never seen to sleep down there) and in a tent it was Lancashire before I got a right good refreshing sleep. Slept really well from that point onwards
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote:On high mileage tours since then, I've made it a point to go for a walk in the evening, half an hour seems to be enough and the legs feel fine next day.

Interesting effect, isn't it?
I don't know how it works, except for some vague waffle about stretching.

I find swimming before dinner the best of all.

Jonathan
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

I find it always pays to seek out overnight accommodation with a spa, sauna and swimming pool.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Ride a recumbent, no aches and pains, that's why I do