20” wheeled e bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
belgiangoth

20” wheeled e bike

Post by belgiangoth »

My wife needs an e bike for the school run & commute. She needs to drop off my daughter who is autistic so we want her strapped in (not on a tandem), she’s five so we’re thinking that lower cog from 20” wheels are needed. Need to be able to do some slaloming for school drop off so we’re not electrifying the cargo bike (and then commute on from school - why use a cargo bike?).

So, other than an electric moulton, what are our options?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
simonineaston

Re: 20” wheeled e bike

Post by simonineaston »

She needs to drop off my daughter who is autistic so we want her strapped in (not on a tandem), she’s five so we’re thinking that lower cog from 20” wheels are needed.
Can you expand a bit on this sentance? There's a lot packed up in there, and I'm not sure I fully understand your requirements yet.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Bike needs to haul a 5yo, so 10-20kg, possibly will need to work up to ~30kg. Basically, not just a "small child".
Daughter is autistic and not in a "I have superpowers" way. Needs a bike seat with straps, tandem won't work.
We've found a bike seat that will work, don't need a rear-tail cargo bike.
Would like a low COG (as will be riding ~20kg "luggage" up a steep hill).
Also something with a low-ish step-through so that my wife can get on the bike without kicking my daughter in the face.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
ians

Post by ians »

Hi

have a look at Tern bikes https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes

They make cargo bikes and have rear platforms for child seats.

Ian
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Have a look at the Hase Pino Steps.

It's halfway between a "normal" bike and a full cargo bike.
You can put a 5 point harness on the front recumbent seat to strap your child in place.
Plus the child is in front of you, so always visible.
Fitted with the twin legged kickstand it should be stable for loading.
I've seen an adult in the front seat of one, so room for growth.
The Steps is the electric model, so that's covered.
So I think something like the Pino fills most of your points.

So how "normal" looking do you want it ...... :lol:

Luck .......... :D
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Fully agree with the Tern in the first instance. The carrier is low so would suit a child seat. It comes with either a Bafang or the more expensive Bosch motor. My wife has a Vektron; it rides very well and can do longer distances (I've borrowed it from time to time).

However if you want something that is future proof and can carry an adult the Hase Pino with Steps motor is a very good (though expensive) option. It can be easily be ridden solo although one has to be aware that without the weight of a stoker it's easy to lock up the front wheel when braking (like a cargo bike no doubt).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The Pino is what I'd look at as well, you may well be able to grant to help with the outlay.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I like the look of the Tern, but not the cost!
aegelstane

Post by aegelstane »

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietsen-en ... iousPage=l Hope the link works!
The Dutch have the answer to all things cycling. The onderwater type tandem comes in various sizes & is steered from the rear.Some versions have a proper seat and safety belt for the "passenger" who can freewheel independently.No doubt there are electric versions.On our annual visits to Holland I hire from a local VVV tourist office a Van Raam electric trike. My partner sits,in her own wheelchair between the two front wheels. The beast has car type steering. hydraulic brakes and a back pedal reversing sensor.The twin batteries are good for around 60 miles mainly on low assist - which is necessary for a wimp like myself These machines and various types of tandem can be borrowed fee of charge by day visitors to the Hoge Veluwe country park north of Arnhem. This is of course in addition to the hundreds of bog standard white bikes for "normal" folks Happy Days!
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

A visit to Get Cycling in York is recommended - they do all sorts of bikes and trikes for disabled folk to ride with an able person. I got my ICE Adventure HD there as they are also ICE agents and the service is excellent. Round the corner from them is Cycle Heaven who stock Tern Vektrons.My wife bought hers there about two months ago - no problems about having to wait for the next delivery - they had them in stock. Also good service there.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm not sure I've really understood your need for a small wheeled e-bike, but just based on the fact that's what you're looking at:
Orbea Katu-E might be worth a look, I had a test ride on one last year and it was fun
https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/revie ... atu-e-1922
There's also a fairly similar looking Cube model, though I don't think I've noticed one
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/el ... lsrc=aw.ds
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

PH wrote:I'm not sure I've really understood your need for a small wheeled e-bike, but just based on the fact that's what you're looking at:
Orbea Katu-E might be worth a look, I had a test ride on one last year and it was fun
https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/revie ... atu-e-1922
There's also a fairly similar looking Cube model, though I don't think I've noticed one
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/el ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have the Cube you mention... the Cube Compact Hybrid 20 with the crank drive Bosch Active Line Plus and it really is first class. I tried Electric Bromptons before this which were a disaster(very sad as I loved my standard Brompton).
The Cube has a very comfortable ride due to its 20” rims with “bungy” tyres combined with the five speed twist grip hub gears. I fitted a front rack to supplement the standard rear rack.
I looked at the Tern but decided a folder weighing approx 25 kg wasn’t going to be an easy lift into the boot. Also it was rather expensive!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I saw this nice Tern at Sainsburys
WP_20201030_15_38_33_Pro.jpg

great carrying capability - good for cycle camping. easy to take a couple of spare batterys with you?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Kasja Tylen, who set a record for the most recorded miles ridden in a year a couple of years back, has got one of the Tern GSDs as a car replacement & seems enthusiastic about it. She posted these photos on Facebook, taking her mum out on the back (it is rated to carry adult passengers)

Kasja Tylen & her mum on Tern GSD
Kasja Tylen & her mum on Tern GSD

Kasja's mum & dog on Tern GSD
Kasja's mum & dog on Tern GSD
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.