Cut Throat Razors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: Cut Throat Razors

Post by philvantwo »

Surprising how different blades perform, I used a Parker 99R razor for years with Derby Extra blades, the odd nick every so often but nothing much.
Treated myself to a Merkur futur and Derby Extra blades are terrible to use, Personna, Dorco, Wilkinson Sword aren't much better. Astra blades in the green packet seem to be the best so far so I bought 200.
Make sure you dry the styptic pencil after everytime you use it, Prorada sell a gel but not tried it.
The only place to buy stuff now is on Ebay!
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

philvantwo wrote:Surprising how different blades perform, I used a Parker 99R razor for years with Derby Extra blades, the odd nick every so often but nothing much.
Treated myself to a Merkur futur and Derby Extra blades are terrible to use, Personna, Dorco, Wilkinson Sword aren't much better. Astra blades in the green packet seem to be the best so far so I bought 200.
Make sure you dry the styptic pencil after everytime you use it, Prorada sell a gel but not tried it.
The only place to buy stuff now is on Ebay!

The Merkur Future is an aggressive razor so you need a sharp blade, at the very least a sharper blade than the Derby that is one of the mildest blades I know. I had the same experience years ago with the Muhle R41 and a Derby blade.... later, same razor with a Gillette Silver Blue, Permasharp or Polsilver the shaves were smooth and efficient.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Just bought a Merkur 34c razor from Amazon, along with Feather Stainless, platinum coated blades. I am a very sensitive type, honest, soft skin stiff whiskers, the Merkur sounded just the job.
Used with a good quality having soap it gave me the most comfortable shave that I have ever had! No nicks, no scrapes, just fine.
With the blades came what looked like a book of matches? Single use styptic cut treatment.
Sorry that I never found them years ago :D :D :D . MM
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Why buy 5 blade disposables when 1double edged blade does a better job!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I went over to DE a couple of year back, I always found the multi blade razors irritated my skin. It was a complete revelation. Saves money and reduces plastic too
NUKe

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Guys, oh yes and lady shavers. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . MM