Suspension cover - worth having?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
StephenW

Suspension cover - worth having?

Post by StephenW »

You can get neoprene covers to protect rear suspension shocks from getting covered in mud, water etc.

This seems like a good idea to me. Does anyone here use one? Or perhaps a homemade alternative?

(It would go on recumbent BTW).

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-s ... gJKOvD_BwE
DevonDamo

Re: Suspension cover - worth having?

Post by DevonDamo »

I would say yes, although it probably depends on how obsessive you are with cleaning. If you get road-salt on your paintwork, it will be slowiy eating through paint and metal until you wash it off. If you often put your bike away unwashed, then one of these things would help save the paint on your shock and thereby prevent corrosion. The only down-side would be if the cover can get wet-through, in which case your shock will be festering away in a damp environment for longer.

Probably more important are your front forks. These depend on having perfectly-smooth seal-friendly chromed stanchions, but that chrome can be eaten away by road-salt, which wrecks them. Having concertina rubber gaiters on forks has been proven to work wonders on motorbikes, where 30 year-old forks are frequently found to be looking as good as new underneath. However, as with enclosed chains, these incredibly effective bits of kit are almost never used purely because they look seriously uncool.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

My main worry was dirt on the damper which might damage the seals over time, as it goes in and out. But as you mentioned, corrosion could also be a problem. If the piston gets corroded then that would also damage the seal.

Perhaps I could stretch a piece of old inner tube over the spring?

I quite agree about front forks. It is very strange to me that suspension forks don't have those rubber boots any more.

(This particular bike doesn't have front suspension).
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Lizardskins used to make front shock covers years ago. Are they still in business?

I'd suggest definitely a good idea, but if everything gets wet then take the shock boot off when you store the bike so moisture isn't trapped inside.