First time Road Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
shavy65

First time Road Bike

Post by shavy65 »

Hi all,
Been riding my MTB for a long time, including using it for my 18 rural miles commute round trip. Been using my hardtail Specialized Hard Rock for around 13 years, no issues.
Been looking at Road Bike`s for a while now but really don`t know at what level I should be looking to come in at. As you all know (better than I do I`m sure!) the price range of road bike`s is extremely varied.

I`ve went from convincing myself a £350 Halfords Carrera is where I should start to contemplating pre-owned £500 (e-bay) Treks/Specialized/Giant`s. Not sure if pre-owned is a little too risky as there`s no way of knowing how `well used` the bike actually is.

I`m thinking the £500 Boardman SLR 8.6 is a good place to start. Any experience of this bike?

Any/all advice very welcomed!

Thanks,
Davey

Quick bit of background - love biking, would mainly use the bike for commuting, mostly B roads, I`m a 38 yo male and reasonably fit. TIA.
Jamesh

Re: First time Road Bike

Post by Jamesh »

I would see if you can get a Boardman new?

The secondhand market is very buoyant at moment so the discount won't be that great.

As you say £350 second had will be about right £250 if well used.

Merlin pr7 too.

If commuting I would look at disc brakes bikes to save wear on rims.

Cheers James
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

James, thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Never seen the Merlin before, will definitely look into that one.

Have you any experience of the Boardman SLR 8.6 (£500 from Halfords).

Actually, I`ve the chance of a Trek Alpha 1.5 Road Bike Aluminium Carbon Forks 2010, immaculate condition for £325, anyone and experience with this bike? It would really help me decide what`s best to do.

Thanks guys,
Davey
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I think it depends what you mean by commuting.

If you intend to commute mainly in summer and when it's dry, then the type of bikes you're looking at will be fine.

If, on the other hand, you intend to commute in all weathers and all seasons then a machine which allows the fitting of proper full mudguards is essential IMO. Most full on road bikes don't; you need something described as a "winter trainer" or"audax" bikes. Some

On the specifics of which bike; it will make little difference TBH!
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

Yeah, I`m def a `fair weather` commuter, and leisure rides when I`m not working.

"On the specifics of which bike; it will make little difference TBH!" - so, what I¬m reading is price is a big factor for me then.

Actually just found this one on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373196647630 , keeping an eye on it for now.

Thanks all :)
whoof

Post by whoof »

shavy65 wrote:Yeah, I`m def a `fair weather` commuter, and leisure rides when I`m not working.

"On the specifics of which bike; it will make little difference TBH!" - so, what I¬m reading is price is a big factor for me then.

Actually just found this one on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373196647630 , keeping an eye on it for now.

The EBay ad says bike would suit someone from 5'5" to 6' 1". This is rubbish about as likely as a pair of trousers being able to fit this height range, you need to be about 5'10" for that to fit a as opposed to just physically cable of riding it. Regardless of the price a bike that doesn't fit is not a bargain.
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

That`s very appropriate as I`m 5`.9.5".

Is this fate....written in the stars? This is where I am supposed to start my road riding career!? :oops: :lol:
whoof

Post by whoof »

shavy65 wrote:That`s very appropriate as I`m 5`.9.5".

Is this fate....written in the stars? This is where I am supposed to start my road riding career!? :oops: :lol:

Great, enjoy your riding.
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

Thanks for the input though, as I say I am only starting out and advice/tips from experienced riders is invaluable to me.
Cheers.
mig

Post by mig »

i'm wondering why you're looking at a 'road' bike for your commute when you've had 'no issues' with the bike you have.
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

Hi Mig, yes I`ve had no issues thus far, but as I mentioned it`s a rural commute with the shortest version being just under 9 miles each way, as it`s country roads there`s prob 20 odd different routes I could take ranging from 9 miles to 20 miles. I`d like to try a road bike to start going on different longer routes which wouldn`t add too much time to the commute duration.
With my MTB some of the further routes take just a bit too long, I normally average around 12.5 - 15 mph (depending on prevailing wind up here in Scotland!), I believe with a road bike I would be adding roughly 2 or 3 mph on to my average speed, does this sound about right?
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

shavy65 wrote:Yeah, I`m def a `fair weather` commuter, and leisure rides when I`m not working.

Didn`t buy it, ended up going for £350, I`d set my limit to £325 (as it is 10 years old). Think I`ll take a look at the Halford`s Boardman over the next couple of days.