DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thanks - I thought I'd seen something, but my searches didn't find it!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Thanks - I thought I'd seen something, but my searches didn't find it!

Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bonefishblues wrote:Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??

yes, probably. It wasn't easy to do, and it was very fiddly; I only did it to see if I could (*), rather than that it would be a practical and cost-effective repair. I had hoped that I'd get some feedback about the longevity of the repair, but the bike in question has a different home now and the new owner apparently 'doesn't change gear'.

BTW as noted in the linked post tightening the D ring is instinctively what you might think to do, but invariably this makes the problem worse, since it means the pawl/wedge will be forced to slip under higher load than before, creating even more damage.

(*) At some point the supplies of such shifters on e-bay may dry up altogether and then crazy collectors may wish to carry out similar repairs perhaps.

For something to actually use, a SunRace M90 LH thumbshifter is not too much money and the (face) ratchet internals are all made of metal so ought to be reasonably strong. You can adjust the friction in the reverse direction of course. They are not perfect ( the innards require lube -not too thick- if they are not to start binding/corroding) but ought to do the job OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??

yes, probably. It wasn't easy to do, and it was very fiddly; I only did it to see if I could (*), rather than that it would be a practical and cost-effective repair. I had hoped that I'd get some feedback about the longevity of the repair, but the bike in question has a different home now and the new owner apparently 'doesn't change gear'.

BTW as noted in the linked post tightening the D ring is instinctively what you might think to do, but invariably this makes the problem worse, since it means the pawl/wedge will be forced to slip under higher load than before, creating even more damage.

(*) At some point the supplies of such shifters on e-bay may dry up altogether and then crazy collectors may wish to carry out similar repairs perhaps.

For something to actually use, a SunRace M90 LH thumbshifter is not too much money and the (face) ratchet internals are all made of metal so ought to be reasonably strong. You can adjust the friction in the reverse direction of course. They are not perfect ( the innards require lube -not too thick- if they are not to start binding/corroding) but ought to do the job OK.

cheers

Thanks, that's helpful, I feared that was the case, and your choice of replacement was mine too.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Microshift make 7 speed Shimano-compatible "STI" units which are your only alternative to secondhand or NOS Sora STIs. They index just fine, although the LH shifter has no effective trim function.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Suddenly it seems as if shimano, sachs et al are trying too hard;

https://bikerumor.com/2014/12/03/a-shif ... the-world/
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ImageImage

nice idea; I wonder how well it actually works?

cheers
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Brucey wrote:ImageImage

nice idea; I wonder how well it actually works?

cheers

As a deterrent to theft? - probably very well.
But it does make me wonder if the whole shifter thing is being over thought - I mean provided there is enough cable movement and the clamp fits the handlebars, stem or down tube- why not use a throttle control assembly from a vintage lawn motor or a choke lever or advance / retard lever from a classic motor cycle?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycle tramp wrote:…. it does make me wonder if the whole shifter thing is being over thought - I mean provided there is enough cable movement and the clamp fits the handlebars, stem or down tube- why not use a throttle control assembly from a vintage lawn motor or a choke lever or advance / retard lever from a classic motor cycle?

undoubtedly many gear levers are too complicated for their own good. But then again vintage lawnmower/motorcycle parts....? No thank you; they weigh a ton, and may pull much cable for small movement.

Ever used a SA quadrant shifter? One of those, modernised, improved, with a DIY-able customised insert would provide a versatile indexed lever....?

The thing that worries me about the onestreet shifter is that it is not at all obvious what stops the bolt from unscrewing....?

cheers