Nocturnal End2End

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Nocturnal End2End

Post by Mick F »

Has anyone ever considered riding End2End nocturnally?
It could have some sort of merits as the roads would be quieter.

Main worries would be getting quiet and peaceful "over-day" sleeping accommodation, and meals at the right time for a nocturnal "upside down" routine.

Could it be done?
Is it possible?
Has anyone done it?

Sounds like a good sponsorship deal.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Re: Nocturnal End2End

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One would have to do it in winter when the nights are longer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This 4 day LEJOG done at the end of December didn’t see a lot of daylight.
https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/blog/when- ... e-to-stay/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Four days! :lol:
Doing it in the winter! :lol:
Late April to late September, taking ten to fourteen days ......... as most of us do and have done.

I was suggesting that a normal End2End at the normal time of year, for a normal cycling person, could do it at night instead of at day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

My teenage son could easily do it.

Breakfast is about 3pm!!!

Cheers James
rjb

Post by rjb »

This could have been the ideal way for the Naked Rambler to have completed it.
Is that you in the background :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could do early / late cycling splitting your day into two 40-50 mile rides with a sightseeing session in the middle.

Would work quite well if particularly warm too avoiding the heat of the day.

Also if wild camping you could set up camp and take down camp whilst dark and no one would know you were there!!

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:This could have been the ideal way for the Naked Rambler to have completed it.
Is that you in the background :oops:
No, not me! :lol:
1597543.main_image.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Slightly but not totally off topic,

As a Rotary Club sponsored challenge on Saturday 11th Dec 1982, I left JOG on my BMW100RS at 4.22pm. After refuelling and coffee stops at Perth, Carlisle, M6 Hilton Services and Exeter I arrived in LE at 7.54am. The RC tried to get it ratified with Guinness Records but they would not accept it as my speeds would have to be over the speed limits. Which they were. The bike performed great and it was an enjoyable but very cold ride. I was more than glad of the fairing and heat from the big twin cylinders.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BP,
Did Guinness not accept your record due to the speed, or did they not accept it as it wasn't a record?

I tried to get my JOGLE on the Chopper into the GBR, but they wouldn't accept it because it was a First, and therefore not a Record. Someone would have to do it faster than me to be a record.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The answer we got from them was due to speed. Because of cold and needing food I took longer at Hilton that I would have liked and got behind schedule. As the challenge was to do it in the official hours of darkness to make up time I had to ride at well over the speed limit from there to Exeter.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

As there would be fewer vehicles one would have less nocturnal emissions.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
bikepacker wrote:Slightly but not totally off topic,

As a Rotary Club sponsored challenge on Saturday 11th Dec 1982, I left JOG on my BMW100RS at 4.22pm. After refuelling and coffee stops at Perth, Carlisle, M6 Hilton Services and Exeter I arrived in LE at 7.54am. The RC tried to get it ratified with Guinness Records but they would not accept it as my speeds would have to be over the speed limits. Which they were. The bike performed great and it was an enjoyable but very cold ride. I was more than glad of the fairing and heat from the big twin cylinders.

Me and my mate did it in the early 80s we didn't plan to do it we just started at lands end and started moving and then without even talking we decide to go all the way to JOG.
Biggest drawback is food, we stopped several times and it was a bit of a waste of time, if you ever try to do that sort of thing basically you just need to carry sandwich's So the only reason to stop
is to get fuel.
We were on 550 mL, I was riding a relatively new bike and one of the exhaust clamps came on done that's one bolt, Could hear a bit of puffing, just done it up and everything was okay.
Took us about 17 odd hours but it's quite easy to do it in much less if you don't stop and sit down for food.
Even then we have course were breaking the speed limit by at least 30 mile an hour plus in many places!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

17 hours to do 900miles is an average speed of 53mph.

I was commuting in the early 90s from here in Gunnislake to the house that some of lived in in Ibrox, Glasgow. Once a fortnight.
Left home at 9pm and was in bed in my room before 4am = 7hrs to do the 500miles.

Did it a few times non-stop. Diesel Peugeot 205 reg number B34 ACV ......... lovely car! :D
Average speed for 500miles in 7hrs = 71.5mph ............. but once did it in a bit over 6hrs = 80odd mph!

The car had a big fuel tank, and would do 50odd MPG at high speeds on the motorway, so I reckon it could have done 600miles non-stop ........... meaning one fuel stop LEJOG, so it's easily possible to do LEJOG at an overall average of 60mph. Pick your time of day - best is overnight - and it's easily do-able.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

NA. You are right about the food, I took flapjacks and mars bars but doing it in winter the cold and damp meant I needed some hot food. At Hilton I downed 3 bowls of hot soup and changed some clothing. My home at the time was only 6 miles from Hilton so at my Carlisle stop I arranged to have some fresh clothes brought to me. This was the days before mobile phones.

After leaving Hilton I had approximately 170 miles to Exeter my next stop and to get back on schedule I did it in 1 hour 47 minutes about 97mph average. The bike's cruise control was kept at 100 mph for most of the way. Totally mad I know.