Noise in easiest gear

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Homervanderlay

Noise in easiest gear

Post by Homervanderlay »

So I was cycling some hills yesterday and had to use the easiest bike gear-smallest cog in front and largest in rear.

All was fine until I started to pedal, then there was this metallic sound. Sounded like the chain was rubbing on the front cage. So I hopped off and took a look. Lifted the bike up and used my hands to turn the pedals backwards and forwards, no noise...

The chain also didn’t look like it was rubbing and there seemed to be enough clearance.

In light of this I am really not sure what it could be, any thoughts?

I have heard when under pressure the chain may slightly rub against the front cage, something which may not be readily apparent when doing the check that I did.

I don’t think it’s the limit screws as the shifting is fine and chain stays on.

So that leads be to the barrel adjuster which on my bike only turns each way very slightly. Please see pic below, am I right in thinking turning it left-anti clockwise will actually tighten the cable at the front derailleur? So in this case I would turn it right -clockwise to loosen the cable slightly which may assist if there is any rubbing on the inside of the front cage?

Thanks
Brucey

Re: Noise in easiest gear

Post by Brucey »

Homervanderlay wrote: I have heard when under pressure the chain may slightly rub against the front cage, something which may not be readily apparent when doing the check that I did.

yes that is probably what is happening; everything flexes and moves under load.

I don’t think it’s the limit screws as the shifting is fine and chain stays on.

er, not necessarily. The position of the FD in that gear should be solely determined by the L limit screw, and the barrel adjuster has nothing to do with it in that gear.

I would suggest that you back the L screw out a fraction of a turn and see if that fixes it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Homervanderlay wrote:So that leads be to the barrel adjuster which on my bike only turns each way very slightly.

Is that the sort of adjuster where you have to slide the outer down to engage the adjustment?

Jonathan
Homervanderlay

Post by Homervanderlay »

Jdsk wrote:
Homervanderlay wrote:So that leads be to the barrel adjuster which on my bike only turns each way very slightly.

Is that the sort of adjuster where you have to slide the outer down to engage the adjustment?

Jonathan

I haven’t tried that to be honest, it does seem to turn, albeit slightly, in each direction. Will see if The adjuster slides down later today.